Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Applause and Feedback

Go down 
+28
chelseagirl
Nell McKeon
Javabee
Cal
Nebraska Wildfire
Silverkelpie
Remuda
skykomish
Distant Drums
Hunkeydorey
HannaHeyes
HelenWest
Moonpie
Cimarron
WichitaRed
Admin
Keays
MoulinP
Stormr
Gringa
gin16
SheilaUK
riders57
Nancy Whiskey
RosieAnnieUSA
Caroline McK
Stepha3nie
InsideOutlaw
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
AuthorMessage
chelseagirl

Applause and Feedback - Page 37 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 3:21 pm

Nightwalker:    Oh my goodness, what an image – the resin still oozing out of the pine boards.  I LOVE it! 
Grace Turner is no classical beauty?  Not sure about that:  she’s not one of my favorite characters, but I’d say she is one of the prettiest women the guys run into!
Love her lovestruck description of Kid Curry.  Seems like what happens later will be just inevitable.
William Gates?   Bill Gates???  Hahaha!  Fabulous Hannibal Heyes plan – if no one will admit to it, is that fair evidence?   And poor Heyes, a sidekick?   Awwww. 
Fab story!

Remuda:   Charming childhood story.   Miss Smith and Miss Jones, eh?   ;-)

UK_Rachel74:   I have been wishing for a story that centered on Preacher for quite some time, so this is a real treat.  You give him a completely believable backstory, and it’s really quite touching.   My only complaint is that I’d love it if it was a lot longer!

St3phanie:   You had me at “the full menace a hangover topped by a bad morning could produce.”
Builds on sadness and growing apprehension as it goes on, to its devastating conclusion.   Beautifully written from Wheat’s viewpoint.  
A link to “The Shot” would be appreciated.

Replies:    Thanks, everyone!  It’s nice to return to the well for inspiration.   Hopefully I’ll get Millie’s story done this summer, and up on An Archive of Our Own.  And I’m going to try to remember to stop by and read and comment more often.
Remuda:   I’m so glad you enjoyed!   I rewatched “The Day They Hanged Kid Curry” – there’s a wanted poster for Wheat and for two unrelated outlaws in the telegraph office but, as I thought I’d recalled, I didn’t see one for Kyle anywhere. 
St3phanie:  I posted an earlier scene, introducing Millie last month.  My ASJ stories are on An Archive of Our Own under this same screenname, and this is meant to be readable on its own, but it's also part of a longer series that I’ve been writing on and off since the 90s!
My other favorite Western is Deadwood, and considering what some of the soiled doves at the Gem have to put up with, I figured Kyle wouldn’t be Rita’s worst option.  Especially as he’s asking Heyes and Curry for advice about girls.  ;-)  And yes, historically, morality crusaders occasionally barged into saloons.
Back to top Go down
Nightwalker

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 12:40 am

chelseagirl – I’m glad you contributed a story which turns around Kyle. I love this character, he’s such a nice guy after all. Sometimes I wonder how he became an outlaw in first place, and where he would end up without Heyes and Curry. They were kind and patient leaders and I doubt he would have done well in a more hostile climate as I would expect it in most gangs.
I never thought that Kyle might have been underestimated, but why not? Teachers have a lot of influence and power, and some of them use it rather careless considering that they build the base for the entire future of a human being.
It’s not actually her profession, but Millicent (?) would have made a good matchmaker, too. She knows humans and human nature very well as it seems. The course of her life must haven been interesting and it would be nice to learn more about her.

Remuda – Alright, I love childhood stories. Little Jed in school is so cute. I can imagine him being fond of a kind (female) teacher. I always had the impression Kid Curry was a smart one, but mostly leaves the talking to Heyes, who really enjoys it to share his thought with others – willing to listen or not. Being on his own the Kid does very well though, or if the cause is important enough to him.
It would have been great to see Jed Kid Curry as a real lawman at some point in his life. It would be a good way to make a living for him once the boys gain their amnesty. The history is filled with enough examples of men who changed to the right side of the law after they ended their life of crime.
I really like Jed’s ideas and the explanation he comes up with for the single lettered word, which is a word in deed in English (there’s no such thing in German).

UK_rachel74 – Poor preacher, such a sad story. The West must have been fill with personal tragedies like this. In his conclusion about the boys he was wrong, though. Sometimes a person is carefree not because they never experienced a loss, but they lost everything and have nothing to care about anymore. This only partially applies to our boys who fortunately still have each other, and care about other folks they meet, even if they are basically pretty selfish. Speaking about preacher, I can understand why he wouldn’t like to hangout for long with the gang under Wheat’s leadership, but rather go on on his own. Who knows, where will he end up one day?

St3phanie – Finding one horse too much in the corral is quite a mystery to solve for Wheat. I don’t envy the guards who swear that nobody passed them by.
Of course, we know the description of this particular animal very well. But the question is where is the man who used to ride it?
The note Wheat found sent a shiver down my spine. The true meaning was too obvious. Kid Curry would never care about a horse that much – it’s the rider he’s talking about. Wheat is right in saying the boys are inseparable so there’s only one explanation – Heyes has gone home.
The rumors sound to me like the Kid is up to join his friend again rather sooner than later. It’s a sad, but very beautiful story. I’m glad your Muse returned and forced you to write it.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 10:34 am

Nightwalker: You hooked me with the first paragraph. I'm always impressed when a writer tells a tale so well in the present tense. How clever that Heyes' "cover" is selling ladies' unmentionables. 

Chelseagirl: What a refreshing and sympathetic look at Kyle! It's nice to think that there are people who can look past his questionable exterior and help to reveal the steady and friendly person beneath.

Remuda: A nice insight into the logical mind of a child. And Jed already knows how to channel his friend Han to help get the right answer to a question. 

uk_rachel74: Like many other fans, I've always had a soft spot for Preacher, and I've wondered how he came to know our boys. This makes perfect sense to me.

Stepha3nie: Wow, what a mystery! You took us through Wheat's somewhat hungover thought processes (at first) and gave us a good illustration how he had to rely on rumor to figure out the mystery. You've definitely drawn me into this story! And your notes at the end -- macabre. I'm horrified by what passed for acceptable practices.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lunartidemassageandangeltherapy.com
gin16

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2020 8:49 pm

uk_rachel74: So Big Jim was watching Heyes play poker and knew he would need some help and maybe saw some potential in him even at his worst, glad he was there.

Nightwalker:  What can I say, you nailed it and them.

MoulinP:  So, at 15 Heyes made a plan and was determined to make it work.  I liked how Jed could ;hear' Heyes' smile.  He wasn't sure about the plan but followed Heyes anyway.  Also liked that you mentioned Jonathon Curry, the uncle Jed does not know about and will not for years to come.  Will we at any future point find out just who Crowther really was and why he was doing what he did?.

Last edited by gin16 on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2020 7:57 am

Nightwalker- They have basically the ideal partnership, their strengths and weaknesses are so complimentary, that they're pretty much unbeatable. You captured that perfectly.
MoulinP- really tense story, well written.

Last edited by uk_rachel74 on Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Nebraska Wildfire

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2020 7:21 am

Uk_rachel74:  I enjoyed seeing more history of Heyes and Big Jim.  The interplay between them is golden. I can see both Heyes at that age and Jim’s more experienced reaction.

Nightwalker:  Perfect description of the relationship between the boys.  Only they really understand and appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
chelseagirl

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptySun Aug 02, 2020 3:26 am

UKRachel: I thought this was a perfect introduction of Heyes to Jim and the gang. Jim sees Heyes's potential and where he still needs help; Heyes jumps right in to fix Jim's plan, because one thing he's never lacked is confidence.

Nightwalker: I don't think I'd ever dare write first person from Heyes's perspective -- you're a braver woman than I. But I really enjoyed his reflections on Curry and their partnership.

Moulin Pouge: the education (in more ways than one) and liberation of Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry. Nice!
Back to top Go down
Nightwalker

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2020 12:58 am

uk_rachel74 – Oh my, what a start for a story. Poor Heyes is beaten up pretty bad. Big Jim got there just in time. Fortunately for Heyes he immediately realized what an asset he would be for the gang. And Heyes quickly proves his worth. Devil’s Hole must have been some kind of home for both of the boys later on; a save haven they shared with friends – well kind of. Of course, would Heyes miss his cousin as soon as he found a safe place to stay. We’re all looking forward to seem the reunited again.
Thanks for giving us insight into this important time of Heyes’ life.

MoulinP – Okay, I was hooked right from the start with your story. It’s no news that I love stories about our boys’ childhood, and you picked a very interesting time of their youth for yours. The boys in trouble and a young Heyes in the making is a most appealing topic.
I like the way you outlined their life in Valparaiso, and the chances Heyes took to soaking in every knowledge available for him, and using every advantage he got in his favor. I think this habit made him so successful later on. And I love how the boys stick together in thick and thin. They never really consider the possibility of leaving the other when things get rough.
It was a narrow escape and they would never have made it without the help of the stranger, who came just in time. Will they be safe with him, I’m asking myself? I hope so for sure.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2020 6:39 am

uk_rachel74: Heyes always lands on his feet, doesn't he? Circumstances work in his favor, even when he's done nothing to particularly deserve such luck. It took a bit of nerve to tell Jim Santana, upon first meeting, that he could do things better. I think your story really illustrates generosity in Jim, who picks up someone who clearly didn't use good judgment, got into trouble, and still thinks  he knows better than Jim. And what does Jim do? He listens. He's patient. He's willing to take suggestions from somebody who hasn't proved himself in any way, shape or form. This story is a terrific introduction to Big Jim.

Nightwalker: I do enjoy these moments of quiet contemplation from a major character. In real time, this thought process would be quicker than a flash of light. I think of those final thoughts crossing Heyes' mind, and I can almost feel his content. Of course, being the evil reader I am, my next thought is, oh boy, that overconfidence could get him into trouble!

MoulinP: I've seen, in conversation with fanfic writers, how maybe we should take seriously the "wayward children" description of Valparaiso. That would make it more of a reform school rather than an orphanage. And, being a reform school, the administration has a much harsher view of the youngsters entrusted to their care. The children are already troublemakers. It's not an good environment for emotionally-damaged children like our heroes had to be when they arrived. Our boys had to survive, had to grow up a little, and running away is really a prison escape. So it was Crowther who helped them, I guess? Not to "save" the children, but to make the warden look bad. Our boys just went from the fire to the frying pan.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 5:22 pm

Remuda: I do enjoy these gentle childhood stories. Young Jed is growing up a little here, isn't he? Starting to stand up for what he wants, learning to say no to a favorite friend who might be, even at that tender age, a little full of himself. And I do agree with Jed --- they were a lot more likely to contribute to the dinner table had they gone fishing.
Back to top Go down
ingin6

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 9:44 am

Remuda:  I really liked this.  Was Han trying out swearing?  He liked that Jed would go along with him most times and Jed's 'not going along' bothered him and then to have him walk away made him rethink 'bein' bossy' may not always be a good thing.  Glad he decided going fishing was the thing to do.
Back to top Go down
ingin6

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptySun Sep 20, 2020 4:41 pm

MoulinP:  Thank the Lord for people like Jericho Crowther, he is a very determined man.  I hope someday his efforts pay off and he rescues his nephew.  This incident could have prepared them for their encounter with Joe Simms much later in their lives.  I hope that there is another chapter???
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2020 6:43 am

MoulinP: Sad and hopeful at the same time. Traumatic experiences scar children for life. Thank goodness for adults who try to do good for those lost and abandoned boys.
Back to top Go down
ingin6

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2020 1:29 pm

SheilaUK:  I enjoyed it.  I would wondered who the person was too.  Kid does know how to get too Heyes doesn't he.

Keays:  Spooky,  I wonder where Kid was for 7 days.  It is a good thing that he likes to help people and that he was kind to the man and helped him.  Elk Mountain, sounds familiar.

RosieannieUSA:  I liked it.  Not scary, but kind of sad to learn of the fate of the gang.  I am glad that the money was really there, it will be put to good use and glad that Lom is going to join them  It seems maybe this is a continuation of your Canada story that was so good?

Last edited by ingin6 on Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

SheilaUK likes this post

Back to top Go down
SheilaUK

SheilaUK

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2020 4:37 pm

Thanks Gin. I'm still wondering who he is! Maybe it will be revealed to me and there'll be a part 2. Re Kid and Heyes, I like to think so!
Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2020 4:55 pm

SheilaUK. That was really good. Loved just how easy it is for The Kid to wind Heyes up. You write their niggly but rock solid friendship very well.

SheilaUK likes this post

Back to top Go down
SheilaUK

SheilaUK

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2020 7:35 pm

Thanks Rachel!
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 8:31 pm

SheilaUK - Glad to see you back! And writing! I loved the story. The ending was absolutely perfect! I won’t give it away, but I would’ve done the same thing as Heyes LoL

SheilaUK likes this post

Back to top Go down
SheilaUK

SheilaUK

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Thank you, Hannaheyes, it's nice to have written something! I'm glad you like the ending!
Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptySun Nov 01, 2020 5:34 am

I loved all three of these stories. Very hard to choose as they are so different yet all equally good.

Keays: Spooky and creepy. Perfect. 
RosieAnnie: Reflective and maybe a little sad due to the fate of the guys friends. But also a wonderful glimpse of the future. I really enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
Keays

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptySun Nov 01, 2020 4:38 pm

SheilaUK: What a fun read. I like how Heyes is coming up with any explanation for the bones other than human remains. And Curry's contribution to the marker was priceless.

RosieAnnieUSA: I always enjoy your writing and this one was no exception. It's never easy going back home after a long absence, and the boys really got sucker-punched this time. It's sad to hear that the whole gang got wiped out, but that's what comes of poor planning. I felt bad for Lom, but, unfortunately, when your job is based on votes, sooner or later you're going to be out on your own. But sometimes, bad things (like the fellas not getting their amnesty) can bring about good things.
Of course, I'm thrilled that you let them "retire" to my hometown of Vancouver, BC. I'm sure they'll be very happy there.
Back to top Go down
Nebraska Wildfire

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptySun Nov 01, 2020 5:19 pm

Three great stories for this month.  They were perfect for a late night Halloween read for me.

SheilaUK:  The banter between the boys was perfect.  A great fun to read.

Keays:  I loved the eerie mood, even while the Kid did his best to ignore it.  It gave me the shivers.

RosieAnnieUSA:  The story was so atmospheric, melancholy but uplifting in the end.  Perfect story as this year draws to an end.
Back to top Go down
Nebraska Wildfire

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptySun Dec 27, 2020 10:17 am

Rachel74:  Perfect beginning paragraph, setting the mood well.  And I loved the ending.  Both the Kid and Heyes doing what they do best.

rachel741 likes this post

Back to top Go down
ingin6

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptySun Dec 27, 2020 11:48 am

UK_Rachel74:  I really liked that.  Liked it being in the first person genre.  Heyes is really lucky he has Kid around to keep his eye on him since he tends to get too involved in the game.

RosieAnnieUSA:  What a gem of a story.  They showed up just in time to lift her spirits.  A very heartfelt reunion.  Loved Heyes' comment, "now you got us", I can't think of getting anything better than them.

rachel741 likes this post

Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 5:25 am

UK_Rachel74: Nice! I especially like the reference to Heyes being four steps ahead of everyone else, he doesn't pay attention to what's going on around him. That one line shows how well Curry knows and understands Heyes, and gives us insight to why their partnership is so successful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 37 Empty

Back to top Go down

Applause and Feedback
Page 37 of 41Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next