Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Applause and Feedback

Go down 
+25
gin16
SheilaUK
Moonpie
RosieAnnieUSA
Silverkelpie
Stepha3nie
Distant Drums
EvaHanley
Admin
evdokiam
HelenWest
Nancy Whiskey
Cimarron
Bluebelle
Niekx
Stormr
Remuda
Javabee
Keays
riders57
InsideOutlaw
HannaHeyes
Gringa
Tashmina
Hunkeydorey
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
riders57

riders57

Applause and Feedback - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Trying to catch up here:

Gringa, Stephana3nie, Remuda, Distant Drums, Stepha3nie, and Keays -- you all did an excellent job of creating a short vignette in a very few lines.  I'm in awe of the brevity.   applause
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 11:02 am

HunkeyDorey - I remember reading this when you first wrote it and I loved it just as much this time! Poor Ben. I bet the boy's uncle was pleased with his revenge. How funny!

Nancy Whiskey - I loved the image this put in my mind and I really would like to know what had transpired to put the boys in that position.

InsideOutlaw - Glad to see this continuation. Those guys are proving to be worthy adversaries of HH and KC. I hope Will and his bunch get to find out just who they're dealing with soon. Looking forward to the rest!

Riders - First off, I LOVE the name of Sally's place! Lobo can certainly be almost as proddy as Wheat sometimes. Loved Kyle's comment about Heyes' grandma. His character is one that can make the most innocent sound comments at times. The ending was wonderful. No Heyes, don't tell the boys the truth.

RosieAnnie - This could easily be the prequel to either of your ongoing stories (which I'd love to read more of... ;) Heyes seems happiest when he's gets to plan. If there's a loophole to be found in an agreement, he'll find it. I would be tempted to do the same in their position. Big Mac would make a great target and Heyes is right, he wouldn't miss it.

Silverkelpie - Yay, more Tibby! Seems Heyes isn't the only master manipulator out there. The way Tibby dealt with the bully at the bar was brilliant. And I liked that it was Heyes who finally came to his rescue. Just like Tibby thought, one of them stepped in. Kid's description of Tibby as an 'accident waiting to happen' is certainly accurate. He could be real trouble if he does in fact have photographic evidence.

Javabee - The way Heyes dealt with Kid's complaining was great, describing the scenarios that would be worse or more dangerous than their current position. I can understand Kid's misery though. It's tough to just keep waiting and waiting for something to happen. Liked the last line too.

Gringa - You wrote exactly what the governor likely said. He just said it to get them out of the business.

Stepha3nie - Good to see they got amnesty, but dealing with the press can be awfully hard.

Remuda - Very well written and deep. What exactly had happened? Did someone get killed? So many possibilities. It leaves you wondering in a good way.

Distant Drums - LOL! Does anyone like going to the dentist? ;)

Stepha3nie #2 - So this is part of a longer story? Looking forward to reading it!

Keays - A year can pass so quickly. This could have been a number of things, a year since they asked for amnesty, a year since they got it and are still living from job to job.

To all of you vying for the shortest entry - It's amazing how much of a story can be told with so little words.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 4:45 am

Hanna Heyes: An interesting idea, which I don't think I've seen before, and a good use of the prompt. It does sound like an average day for our boys, but why is it repeating? I was trying to find a clue in your story, and all I came up with was the guy at the stable. And why is Heyes aware of the repetition? Your writing has drawn me into this story, and I am looking forward to the continuation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lunartidemassageandangeltherapy.com
riders57

riders57

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 5:14 am

Stepha3nie -- another one.  Again I am impressed by all these very short tales -- so sad.

HannaHeyes -- oh lol.  What no prognosticating rodents?  Something tells me Heyes is going to become quite the roofer before ever they leave Destiny's Loop (great name) -- or should that be Punxsutawney?  What a clever take on the movie that inspired your story.
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 12:59 pm

Distant Drums -  Love a flashing eye, hope the teeth flash after the visit to the dentist too!

Stepha3anie - Oh, Danny Bilson!  Yes, that was necessary and probably saved more lives

Keays - Yes, they must have got down as the time dragged on, nice snapshot.

Stepha3nie (2) - Very dramatic!  Let's hope this is the opening lines of a story as I'd like to read more of this.

Hannaheyes - I started looking out for what movie this inspired right away and was running all kinds of westerns through my mind.  Once I knew I re-read and thought there were so many inspired touches, including the start of the day and the annoying cockerel.  Absolutely adored it.  Original, funny and inspired.  applause
Back to top Go down
Gringa

Gringa

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 1:19 pm

Distant Drums -  Can't blame Heyes.  Nobody likes the dentist

Stepha3anie (1) - Another short, sharp punch from choosing a powerful moment.  Good job.

Keays - A moment of pensive thought.  Was it worth going for amnesty?  I hope so or we would have to re-write a whole lot of stories!

Stepha3nie (2) - No, he's not shot is he?  If he kept up that life it was bound to happen one day.

Hannaheyes - Loved this story and I can't say I've ever read one like it.  What a terrible day they had and I can't see that roof being fixed anytime soon.  I wonder how long it will take them to realise?  Loved the wake up and the name of the town among so many other good lines.
Back to top Go down
Hunkeydorey

Hunkeydorey

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 2:01 pm

Distant Drums, Stepha3anie, and Keays - all great little flashes of genius.  Enjoyed them all, funny, dramatic, tragic - and in so few words.  Very clever.

Hannaheyes - looks like we are in for a few more days of winter yet.  So enjoyed the originality of this one, from the terrible jobs and how they decided who did what, to the "BANG"  "SQUAAAWWKK..."  You really nailed it with the name of the town too, "Destiny Loop."  You gave us a day that not only wasn't necessary, they get to do it all over again.
Back to top Go down
Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 7:39 pm

Stepaha3nie:
This one is tragic, sad, and full of regret. How do you convey all that in just 19 words?

Hannaheyes:
Oh, I am looking forward to reading the rest of this story. I loved the movie your referred to, and seeing it's ASJ version come to life in your entry is a kick. So many interesting details. I can't help but wonder what's up with the man in the stable, and how you will bring this all together. Great story, HH!
clapping
Back to top Go down
Stepha3nie

Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 5:22 pm

Keays: You manage to pack a lot into these few words. Trouble brewing for some time, an attempt to set things right between the partners and Heyes' answer, which sounds to me like he is giving up hope. And you manage to leave it open for interpretations. What has been a year? Waiting for amnesty comes to mind immediately. Or maybe they already have amnesty and things still have not changed much for them? 

Hannaheyes: Great idea. Loved the movie, really like what you have written so far and I am now of course eagerly awaiting where you will take this. I expect (as others have mentioned) that Heyes will probably become very good at fixing barn roofs. Or will he figure out a way to switch roles, persuade the Kid to do both jobs together (no splitting up), decide that there are mysteries to solve (who is the robber, what is going on at the mine)?
Have to admit that I am most curious to find out why the time loop started, what Heyes has done or needs to change about himself. After all, Kid does not seem affected by the time loop. Heyes really should have learned by now to trust Kid's feelings of unease about a place, especially with such an unusual name!
Some great lines - you had me cracking up from the start, when Kid complained about sleeping on soggy ground and Heyes generously offered "I'll find you a rock to sleep on."
The morning wake-up call is also great. Western alarm clock.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 7:20 am

Ha ha ha...Joke's on me.  I was waiting to finish off last month's stories until I had a big block of time to sit down and enjoy them.  You ladies have been the souls of brevity!!

Stepha3nie #1:  So Gringa did a throwdown you couldn't resist?  This put me in mind of present day celebrities who achieve the goals and fame they've desired, but can't handle the attention it brings them.

Remuda: After the Kid shot Bilson in the Smiler, he was so terse at the end with Heyes. It seemed so out of character, but it makes sense that he was just holding it together and would brood later.

Distant Drums:  Ow!  I know how we all love to hurt them, but was the dentist really necessary?

Stepha3nie #2:  There's not much else that can be said, is there?  Bilson made it all necessary.

Keays:  So simple and brief, but it made me think about their disappointment, skepticism, and discouragement.

Stepha3nie #3:  No, you can hurt them, you can maim them, but you can't outright kill them!!!!
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 7:34 am

HannaHeyes:  Be careful who you rob, LOL!!!  So Heyes got his own version of Groundhog's Day?  I just bet he gives the Kid a thousand reasons not to take those jobs.
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 3:48 pm

Riders -   Black Cat  thanks for jumping in with the first spooky story of the month, and it's a doozy.  Yes, I remember this one from the first time around, and it definitely stands another outing.  Poor Clancy has such a tragic tale, and one that rings so true for the times.  The ending is really sad but I don't want to ruin it for anyone.  Loved it and I cannot see why it can't poll here.  Others have re-used stories.  All that counts is that it fits the prompt criteria here.       
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 1:16 am

Insideoutlaw - A great take on 'Bump In The Night' and it certainly fits the prompt to a 't'.  I do love the cycle where the Kid is talking down and angry Heyes, it's so on the nose and so very well-written as well as being amusing.  Heyes was never going to let this offence to his dignity lie, but I love the denouement.  In one very smart way, Heyes' opponent was clever enough to stay one step ahead.  He was able to live a relatively normal life, but on the other hand, we're not writing stories about him!    Loved it.    cowboy 1
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Javabee - What a beautiful, haunting story.  It is full of love and wisdom; but more than that, it is left open so that we can make up our minds what is going on rather than being told.  It is that very vagueness which makes this story so rich as it draws the reader in to interpret, making the whole interaction between reader and writer so much more active than just allowing the story to wash over us.  I like to think of this little family getting a bit of 'extra' help to repay their kindness.  I love stories where there is a level of interpretation.  Loved it.  applause
Back to top Go down
riders57

riders57

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Ah, great stories coming in now.

Silverkelpie -- as usual a wonderful, haunting tale from you.  I like the light heartedness at the beginning (really -- "Heyes cast out a hand - a real one this time" -- puns?), yet the story progressively gets darker and darker -- the writing matching the changing mood.  I won't reveal the end, but goodness...

InsideOutlaw -- YAY! The end of the tale is a good as the beginning.  I like the parallels between Heyes and Will, which serve to highlight their differences as well.  Great finish.

Javabee -- a very different take on the prompt.  Well written and interesting.  Yes, meeting folks like these could get our ex-outlaws wishing for families (and you managed to reference their past without getting maudlin -- congratulations).
Back to top Go down
Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Riders:
This story was new to me, so I had no idea what was really going on (until it was revealed). You set the tone perfectly throughout, very melancholy, with a gnawing feeling that something was not quite right with Muddy Gap (great name). Your ending was very sad and poignant, no wonder the boys were silent on their way out of town. I would definitely poll this one.   cheers

Last edited by Javabee on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 7:31 am

Riders:  You started us off with an excellent tale for the spooky month of October.  Great descriptive writing throughout and a nice twist at the end.  Poor Clancy haunting Muddy Gap when his wife and daughter are ready to join him.  I'll bet the inhabitants of that town get real nervous when the rain starts on that night. cheers
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 7:47 am

Silverkelpie:  This one sucked me right in and didn't let go until the end.  Did the movie "Hugo" happen to inspire this?  It was about an automaton, too.  Very creepy and moody throughout with some light moments.  I loved the Kid's observation about Heyes' work ethic and the line about the stress of marriage possible driving a man crazy.  My husband would agree with that!  affraid clapping affraid
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Feedback and Applause   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 7:58 am

Javabee:  Another great seasonal tale.  You built up to the ending slowly with excellent characterizations and discreet descriptions that led us to the conclusion.  I loved the quotes at the end, too.  A very timely tale on keeping your heart and mind open to the possibilities.  Beautifully done!!
Back to top Go down
Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 11:47 am

Silverkelpie:
You managed to take a honeymooning couple who were obviously smitten with each other, and put them in such an evil environment that the loving husband became murderous!! Your sumptuous description of the depressing and eclectic place, made me feel like it was perfectly plausible that someone could have been driven mad there. There is nothing scarier than a creepy doll that seems to have a life of its own. Wonderfully written and truly haunting, perfect for the season. The ending made me shiver. Loved it, SK.
jump face
Back to top Go down
Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 12:34 pm

InsideOutlaw:
It is so great that Kid is the one that pointed Heyes in the right direction towards coming up with a plan; I love it when the Kid is written to have brains too. By the end of the story I am thinking that Will was really the savvy one, with the smarts to know when to quit and how far to go with his outlawing.
I am wondering if the name Mark Clemens was intentionally a cross between Mark Twain and Samuel Clemens. And finally, I want to know who made Kid's coffee in the first paragraph. Whoever it was did not get the memo about egg shells and percolators. Very Happy Loved your story, IO! clapping
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 2:47 pm

LOL, Javabee, I'm busted on the coffee making!  Yes, Mark Clemens was intentional.  The Kid sees Heyes reading Twain all the time so it just floated in his head (and mine.)  Thanks for the kind comments. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments.  I have seen Hugo, Insideoutlaw, but it didn't inspire this.  It's been bubbling for a while. Spinning
Back to top Go down
Hunkeydorey

Hunkeydorey

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 12:59 pm

Riders - Oh, I remember this and was very happy to read this great story again.  Poor Clancy, suffering such a haunting loss.  This sounds so much like the real ghost story you hear on historical tours.   It has the feel of poignant love and loss about it.

Silverkelpie - Oh!  So very scary and it could so easily be a play, with all that spiralling tension and madness.  It was very visual.  I thought it apt that the Kid picked up on undertones of danger with his sharp instincts, but oh!  The end!!!   affraid 

Insideoutlaw - I laughed out loud at the Kid's alias, that was great!  The Kid was the sensible one in this, keeping Heyes' temper from spiralling out of control, and he was right to trick his way into their confidence like he did.  I loved the twist at the end about anonimity.  Will was smart.  He could melt into the background whenever he wanted but I'm betting he wasn;t much of a looker, huh?

Javabee -   Beautifully haunting and poignant in the best ways.  I loved that the mystery was left to us.  I definitley think they had help.  At least that's what I like to think; in any case you paint a wonderful picture of the quiet strength of frontier women.  Loved it.

Keays -  I loved this snippet from 'Ghosts.'  It was a very touching and painful scene, but it shows the turtured mind of the man's subconscious trying to work his way through the pain and confusion as he tries to piece his life together.  It certainly fits the prompt and we've all had that suffocating dream too!
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 6:51 am

Keays - Oh!  What an atmospheric and descriptive piece of writing from you for Hallow'een and perfect for the prompt.  Definitely enough to bump you out of bed for the night.

Hunkeydorey - Yes, I remember this one and it certainly fits the prompt.  Great research on the Victorian mourning jewellery and a stark analysis of love and hate mixed together.  That poor man tried not to blame the child but his pain showed.  It just goes to show, children always know when something is wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

Applause and Feedback
Page 25 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next