Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Applause and Feedback

Go down 
+25
gin16
SheilaUK
Moonpie
RosieAnnieUSA
Silverkelpie
Stepha3nie
Distant Drums
EvaHanley
Admin
evdokiam
HelenWest
Nancy Whiskey
Cimarron
Bluebelle
Niekx
Stormr
Remuda
Javabee
Keays
riders57
InsideOutlaw
HannaHeyes
Gringa
Tashmina
Hunkeydorey
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
HelenWest

HelenWest

Applause and Feedback - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 8:11 pm

Moonpie - I love seeing the horse's point of view so well done. I always thought our guys were decent to all - horses included. Have you read Smokey the Cow Horse? It's a classic.
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 8:22 pm

SK-
This is such a thrilling continuing story! Do you have the whole thing posted any place? I want to go back and read it all together - there are too many details to keep straight without looking back. You really have the details of the characters and situations beautifully visualized and described.
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 8:29 pm

Oh, Keays, you're nearly as much of a master as Heyes is. What won't you both think of next? But I still feel for the boys. Cowboy boots aren't made for walking. Doctor's tools or not, they won't get out of this easily.
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 8:37 pm

RosieAnnie-
Now that' s a fascinating deal. I loved the way you got them there. Now I want to know what happens next!
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 8:38 pm

JB - Your's is a marvelous, fun story with plenty of laughs at our boys. No, Heyes doesn't know everything.
HW
Back to top Go down
Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 8:56 pm

RosieAnnie:  
After all the trouble the boys have had trying to get the governor to keep his word, it only makes sense that this time around they want more than a handshake. Still being on the run even though they may have amnesty is a bitter pill to swallow, but very realistic. It would be a great jumping off point for future stories.
Miss Porter always did have an eye for the Kid, didn't she? Love to see the Kid blush.  Very Happy  Very enjoyable story, Rosie, and great use of the prompt!
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 6:54 am

Thank you, Helen West. Yes, it's under the Sarah Whyment thread on this site(Hunter's Moon).  The next chapter will be the last, so let's see if you can guess whodunit?
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu May 01, 2014 7:39 am

Javabee:  I love me some silly fluff. Favorite line: "He could always depend on his partner for answers. Maybe not the right ones, but they were answers all the same." Well, then again, maybe it's the lady's musings on how Kid's hair reminds her of a certain kind of sugar. Or Joshua's eyes reminding her of certain coffees. Very clever how you worked in a lot of old challenge prompts through the story.

Moonpie: This drew me in! I was flummoxed (in a good way) when I realized, at the end, that it was a horse's musings and not a person. Reading it a second time, I realized you provided plenty of clues about the identity of the narrator, but I was just too wrapped up in the narrative itself to notice. You built the tension here very well.

Silverkelpie: I have no clue - well, let me rephrase that. You provided plenty of clues, but since I didn't realize a horse was talking in Moonpie's story, I surely am unable to put your clues together and arrive at the correct conclusion. In the meantime, I enjoy the devastating depiction of some of the hissable characters and amusing dialogue amidst the blood and gore. "How can reading injure anyone?" Heyes retorted. "Take too long doin' it while I'm workin' and ya might find out." And Kid's line "I'm a passenger; almost like you, but useful." Nice to see Kid getting good lines.

Keays: I sure was hoping you'd find a way to get them out of the jail, and it looks like you did. Unless, of course, there's another chapter where the boys get recaptured. As much as I enjoy your storytelling, I kind of hope said chapter does not exist.

Inside Outlaw:  Nice insight into Heyes' methods of doing things. Watching the series, you might wonder why Heyes kept Wheat around. Heyes realizes Wheat has his shortcomings, but they're outweighed by strengths.

Remuda: Six dollars instead of fifty? Well, at least they get to spend it. Fifty dollars wouldn't do them much good in the Wyoming penitentiary. Another short job in the history of their post-outlaw lives, and they continue as they have been, Heyes playing poker and Curry watching his partner's back.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lunartidemassageandangeltherapy.com
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu May 01, 2014 12:46 pm

RosieAnnie - That dirty, low-down, no-good, double-dealing governor!  Two years in jail after going straight for three?  That wasn't the deal.  The boys were quite right to look for some guarantees.  Loved the line, "You never know when somebody’s gonna overhear and jump to a reasonable conclusion.”  Loved the happy ending too.

Keays - Oh, Keays.  You do write Heyes at his arrogant, shifty best and they managed to get fed at last.  I adored the last line and I can;t wait to see what that plan is.

Insideoutlaw - What a clever insight into Heyes' plotting mind as well as showing why he managed to keep people so loyal to him.  Smart as a whip, both you and him.

Remuda - A change in style for you, but very enjoyable nontheless.  This was a relaxing narrative after a long day's work and the writing made this a very visual read.  Yes, they had to take the six dollars in the hand.  They had no choice, but the last line was heartwarming.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu May 01, 2014 1:19 pm

Wow Javabee, there were so many LOL lines in this story!  Loved the 'con-sewer' as well as the tease to our dear MAP about Scotland.  Also, the line about Heyes might not have the right answers but he always had answers.  You descriptions were spot on for a coffee-loving gal like me:  caramely sweet and very raw; eyes like an espresso demitasse.  Very fun 'Java-Sue' story. Banana
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu May 01, 2014 1:29 pm

Moonpie:  Very cleverly done.  I was admiring how well you portrayed your heroine's fear and desperation and then I got to the part about the metal in her mouth and realized you were doing a fine job of putting one over one us. Nicely done! clapping
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu May 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Silverkelpie:  No one does mystery as well as you!  I'm really enjoying this one and can see that you're going to keep us guessing right up until the last sentence, aren't you?   bounce  bounce
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu May 01, 2014 1:44 pm

RosieAnnie:  That governor puts the capital 'P' in politician, doesn't he?  Three years into the amnesty agreement and he wants to change the terms.  I wonder who he thought he was dealing with.  Glad to see they got their amnesty without prison time and, as always, good old Lom stood by them.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu May 01, 2014 1:53 pm

Keays:  I just love a sneaky Heyes!  Very clever of him to put his injuries to good use.  Not only did he get tended by the doctor, but they both got a steak dinner and a place to rest before they casually bust out.  Great story.  Twisted Evil

Remuda:  Interesting change from your saddle talk--not a word of dialogue, but a story still cleverly told!  clapping
Back to top Go down
Keays

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu May 01, 2014 4:02 pm

JavaBee; Oh this was a hoot JB! Real tongue in cheek and lots of fun. 'Caramely sweet and very raw'! Oh my! 'Espresso demitasse'. Never thought of that connection before but you know; it works! And I must agree; Denver is a very likable town.

Moonpie: Ahh, a story after my own heart! As soon as I rad the line 'flashing the whites of my eyes...' I knew we were talking about a horse! Good for Heyes for rescuing her. She'll have a decidedly better life with the Devil's Hole gang than she would with that murdering outfit.

Silverkelpie: Oh another cliff hanger. Lots of questions going around but not many answers yet. Of course we all want it to be Glavin, but I think that's too obvious.
Curry looks meaner than Heyes huh? Good luck with that one, as Abi found out once upon a time! Loved all your descriptions of the various butlers, and they all fit the stereotype too. A brace of butlers, indeed!

RoseAnnie: So the boys finally get their amnesty! Nobody said it was going to come free and clear though, did they? Good idea to hole up in a winter lodge for a few months, let things settle down. But I don't think I would have accepted the Governors first deal either. Once in prison they would never have seen the light of day again. Governor's come and go, but prison bars are forever.

InsideOutlaw: Oh, another pre-amnesty story and a pre-Kid story too. Young Hannibal Heyes is already showing his smarts. Still it makes me wonder what Wheat is going to do when Kid shows up and Heyes partners up with him again.

Remuda: Definitely a change from the usual format--no dialogue at all and yet it's a very compelling tale. How nice that a) they didn't get noticed by the sheriff and b) they actually got paid on both counts.
Back to top Go down
Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu May 01, 2014 4:49 pm

InsideOutlaw:  Well, Heyes was clever from the beginning, wasn't he? It's not enough to be a master planner who sees the details. You also need to be able to work with people and know how to enlist their loyalty and support. Another enjoyable peek into the outlaw days and how Heyes became an outlaw leader. Thanks, IO!

Last edited by Javabee on Thu May 01, 2014 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu May 01, 2014 5:12 pm

Remuda: I can almost hear some old western trail music in the background as an old-timer tells this interesting tale, in between hitting his spittoon with his chaw. Another adventure for the boys, very well told. Thanks, Remuda!
Back to top Go down
EvaHanley

EvaHanley

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptySat May 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Javabee – What an enjoyable “silly piece of fluff”! Unfolding Heyes’ logic to find meaning to the unknown term is really funny down to the conclusion of the connoisseur’s arrival and the punch lines some may think that what I charge is criminal, but I promise you it’s worth every cent and I assume that my coffee and I are wanted. I also loved the parallels drawn between the boy’s appearance and Java’s sugar and coffee, it is really yummy.  I agree with others that this certainly deserves some follow up for all us good coffee lovers.
Moonpie – You had everyone fooled about the main character. It is very efficiently written, with all the clues present, but so subtly that the reader is taken by surprise when the character’s identity is revealed. In addition, even while thinking it may be a Mary-Sue, the piece is never mushy. A nice glimpse of the boy’s humanity too. Well done !
Silverkelpie – An excellent way of bringing the tension to new heights without overwhelming the reader : by pursuing your ferocious bantering as if nothing happened, you keep the smile on our lips. I enjoy very much the very effective – because they are not hammered in – social comments woven in the text and the numerous funny lines. And those false leads! Fake blood this time? Still no clue whodunit but I’m sure I’ll be left gaping with the last instalment.   
Keays – You bring this intense action story nicely to conclusion and I feel relieved they are finally out of it with some of Heyes’ scheming and without too much hurt. His use of the circumstances in hand to obtain a way out of their predicament is very masterful. I love how you let us follow his machination all the way, thinking it is real, just as the Kid, only to find out at the end it served a purpose. 
RosieAnnie – I think we all agree about the double-crossing, insincere attitude of successive governors, but you have voiced and described it so clearly that my blood boils ! And it is impressive that the boys would still stick to the straight and narrow despite such a drawback, but thanks to the vagaries of politics it finally pays. It would be interesting to see where they take it from here.
InsideOutlaw -  Another very insightful glimpse of Heyes’ character and leadership strengths. It’s as if you were in his mind, so well do you describe his inner musings and motivations, adding extra depth and dimension to the character. Understanding he cannot lead by belittling the people expected to work with him, or how he can gain more by giving up some is essential for a good leader but not that common around. I would work for such a person anytime (though perhaps not in that line of business!) 
Remuda –Bringing the future into ASJ is a pretty good idea and it is interesting they can see the prospects of this different type of “gold”. Nice storytelling and quite a vivid description of the circumstances they find themselves in.
Back to top Go down
Moonpie
Admin
Moonpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptySun May 04, 2014 7:01 am

Javabee - I hope you know how much fun this was.  Loved the whole debate about who was coming to town and why, as well as the very vivid decriptions.  I don't think I've ever seen a story that turns Heyes' coffee making abilities on its head like this.  Top marks for both originality and fun.

Silverkelpie - People have been saying for years that nobody does mystery like you for a very good reason.  You mix mystery and tradegy with a sprinkling of lightness that makes us pick up the social commentary without us even realizing.  I have no idea who did it, but I'm betting it's not a butler.

Keays - I have been enjoying this series of yours.  You write chases so well and bring the reader right along with you.  I could feel the creeping sense of helplessness in this one and loved the way you turned that around at the end.  I can't wait to read the next part.

RosieAnnie -  How could the Governor think they'd go for that deal?  They'd kept their end of the bargain and now he comes up with that?  Of course they needed something in writing in case he reneged on that deal too.  Great to see a happy ending for the boys.

Insideoutlaw - You write a very clever Heyes because you are clearly very clever yourself.  You capture the eye for strategy in this story and show us what makes him such a great leader too.  What a wonderful glimpse into the man's mind.

Remuda - Black gold?  It won't be long before their employer is incredibly rich, so I think the boys made a good choice in taking the available cash.  I think Hedley Oil have a good chance at being good for the rest very soon.
Back to top Go down
Remuda

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyMon May 05, 2014 5:17 am

Javasue
This is a riot!  There's always room for debate when it comes to Heyes' coffee, and it seems the brewer is always on the losing end.  Thought it quite cute how his coffeepot meant so much to him (but then, I wonder how many he went through what with their ofttimes loss of gear).  Technical issues aside, I'm happy to be set straight as to the real meaning of consewer.  :)   So many good lines, my favorites were, "The Kid watched the street contentedly, knowing he could always depend on his partner for answers. Maybe not the right ones, but they were answers just the same." and "One with a smile that’ll con you right out of your last nickel, and the other as fast as a whip snake and as deadly as a rattler. "  Clapping!

Moonpie
Ah, you had me going there at the very beginning, thinking how horrible this could turn out to be, but I got to the revelation somewhere around the middle of the story.  This is nicely paced.  Bull Norton could be quite the nemesis for our boys, especially after they humiliated him so badly.  Will we see more of him in future?  I think it would be interesting to see how he might exact revenge.  Good job!

Back to top Go down
Remuda

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyMon May 05, 2014 9:21 pm

Silverkelpie
And the mystery deepens.  Having previously said I thought the butler (or one of them) did it, I now have to join the chorus of, I really have no idea.  As usual, this is well written and paced, with liberal sprinkling of clues and red herrings, as well as many great lines and phrasings, my favorite of which was, "proffered hot sweet tea as though it were an elixir of tranquility" -- sounds very genteel.  I look forward to seeing how this all plays out. 

Keays
Ah, Heyes' deviousness strikes again, and so subtle Kid didn't even notice.  I was surprised by the turn of events, feeling sorry for the dark one being in such pain; never thought he'd be playing possum.  I'm not sure if "the end" at the conclusion signifies the end to this series or this part only, as it could go either way.  In any case, an enjoyable piece of the pie and satisfying adventure overall.

RosieAnnie

The cold of winter brings good news, but it's not the joyous occasion everyone thought it would be.  Still, it's good news nonetheless.  However, the boys seem world-weary here, tired of being jerked every which way over three years' time, and the realization they're not yet truly free of their past seems a surprise in a way.  I have no doubt this is how it would go down, and the muted tone with which you tell the tale serves it well.  No bottles of champagne or party to be had; it's time for planning and reflection.  Hiding out is still the order of the day, so nothing much has really changed.  Very well done!

InsideOutlaw

Poor Wheat.  He does as he's told and still is ousted.  I don't blame him for feeling slighted, especially by a young upstart of a kid such as Heyes taking his place.  I really like how you paint Heyes here, shrewd beyond his years and knowing he'll need back-up -- the brawn Wheat can offer.  This is well written and very realistic.  It would be interesting to see how they go from cooperation here to the one-upsmanship of later times.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyWed May 07, 2014 7:08 pm

I've got to quit waiting to do this at the last moment before voting!

Javabee - I absolutely LOVE this story! I smiled the whole way through. The discussion and final decision over what a connoisseur was wonderful! So someone's finally going to take on Heyes and his coffepot. Loved these lines:

"One with a smile that’ll con you right out of your last nickel, and the other as fast as a whip snake and as deadly as a rattler."

What a great description and sounds like something Silky would say. Just loved it!

Moonpie - I had read a little ways before I realized who was telling the story. So well-written. What a horrible man Bull Norton was. Glad Heyes and Kid came to the rescue. Loved the last line.

Silverkelpie - I keep changing my mind on who the guilty party is. Love reading your mysteries. The characters are so vivid. Loved this:

"“How can reading injure anyone?” Heyes retorted.

“Take too long doin’ it while I’m workin’ and ya might find out.”

Really looking forward to finding out how this all ends!

Keays - I'm kinda hoping this wasn't the end of the story, but if it has to be, it was a satisfying one. You get us feeling all sorry for Heyes and it's just part of his plan all along. And such a nonchalant yet devious maneuver. At least they get a rest and a free steak dinner!

RosieAnnie - What a disappointing offer to receive after such a long wait. Loved Heyes surprising Lom in his office and Lom's response. I could just see that happening. I wouldn't trust the Governor either after that. Who's to say once they're in there, he won't just keep them there? Good idea to ask for a signed contract. This was a realistic view on how the amnesty deal might have played out.

InsideOutlaw - This was a wonderful look into Heyes' cunning mind even at a very young age. He knew exactly how to handle Wheat to appease him and still get what he wanted. No wonder he turned into such a great leader!

Remuda - Loved the way this was written. Having no dialogue didn't hurt the flow of the story at all. Having accidently covered myself in oil once working on my car, I can attest to the fact that it does take some intense scrubbing to get clean ;) I felt for them, especially using lye soap. And better to get six dollars than twenty years. At least they did get some money this time!
Back to top Go down
riders57

riders57

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu May 15, 2014 6:25 pm

Silverkelpie -- a great way to wrap up your story.  So many twists and turns.  Having not gotten a chance to comment on last month's stories (dang RL) I have to say I truly appreciated your use of the collective noun:  "a sneer of cooing butlers".  Great the unconventional way of finding that a butler did it (that doesn't give much away so...)  Your historical research really shines through.  Clapping loudly.   clapping
Back to top Go down
Nancy Whiskey

Nancy Whiskey

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu May 22, 2014 10:20 am

Silverkelpie ~ What a terrific read, and as ever, a clever plot.  It was a real rollercoaster and I am glad that justice will be done!  

I loved the banter between the boys about their faces, it made me laugh out loud.

I have already googles Maud Davies - I can't believe I had never heard of her.  You get so much information into your writings, it always gets the brain cells going.  Thank you. 

Riders57 ~ Your description of the exhausted Heyes drifting in and out of consciousness is spot on.  The cutting in and out of memories and present dove tailed well.  A thoughtful story had a definite atmosphere.

Keyes ~ I must have missed these stories first time round (perhaps a bit before my time), but it has made me want to raid the archives and see how it pans out.  I especially enjoyed the poignantcy, marked by Heyes and his reaction to the boy.

Also Keyes, I hope your month settles down and it is no longer 'biting'.
Back to top Go down
Keays

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu May 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Nancy Whiskey; this is just an excerpt from Twist of Fate which is of course down in the writer's section. As you have probably heard, that story is quite an epic so if you decide to go for broke, bring sustenance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Applause and Feedback
Page 13 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next