Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Applause and Feedback

Go down 
+28
chelseagirl
Nell McKeon
Javabee
Cal
Nebraska Wildfire
Silverkelpie
Remuda
skykomish
Distant Drums
Hunkeydorey
HannaHeyes
HelenWest
Moonpie
Cimarron
WichitaRed
Admin
Keays
MoulinP
Stormr
Gringa
gin16
SheilaUK
riders57
Nancy Whiskey
RosieAnnieUSA
Caroline McK
Stepha3nie
InsideOutlaw
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 27 ... 41  Next
AuthorMessage
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

Applause and Feedback - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 6:04 pm

Finally getting to June:

Distant Drums - I'm enjoying your poetry. It's something I've not seen a lot of in fan fiction. I got thirsty reading this. The smiler will lose his smile indeed.

Cimarron - The beginning of this is great. Love that it turns out to be a mare nuzzling on him.

Remuda - This is so bittersweet. Kid wanted to help her out but her pride wouldn't allow it. She was so cynical. Wonder what exactly happened in San Francisco? Loved the ending.

Silverkelpie - I hope you're planning on continuing this soon. You write such engaging stories. Did they take the job at the dam to help Mrs. Martin or just for the money? Looking forward to finding out.

MoulinP - I loved this! A lot of work just to get the gang to quit bothering him about something. I loved the visual of things flying out of the building and the gang's comments. Also loved the contents that ended up in the yard!

Stepha3nie - Coffee's back! I loved the overnight antics and maneuvering going on. The Kid's reaction in the morning was great, as was Heyes'.

Moonpie - Silas is quite the character to spend an evening with around a campfire. And then the story turns out to be one big joke, literally. I enjoyed it.

HunkeyDorey - I love childhood stories that have our boys as their mischievous selves. I absolutely loved the part of the interrogation that centered around the ten commandments and what happens to thieves. Of course, Han's going to take up for his cousin, but Jed learns very well how to take care of himself when he grows up.

Skykomish - This would've been a very dark and disturbing story to tell his daughter. I guess finally getting to tell someone what he had to do that day was a kind of relief. But I picture him telling his cousin instead.
Back to top Go down
gin16

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2016 1:57 pm

Silverkelpie:  I remembered this one.  Emmeline was a spoiled brat.  Good thing her evening was with Kid, he has such patience after putting up with Heyes all of these years.  He did a good deed without knowing it.  Emmelines' fiancé was able to make a better life for himself without her.

Riders57: Another oldie that I like.  Kid, what a guy, helping her out, not just with money but treating her with dignity and kindness, it encouraged her to change her life.  Heyes as a ornery streak, Kid did not have to pay money to get women to get women to spend time with him, if he chose not too.

Skykomish:  Funny, Heyes has names for all of the needy folk, of course, he would keep track.  A lot of good lines:"she wanted to believe that they are not Heyes and Curry  " and Heyes, we want you to believe that to, being as sincere as he can.  Again, Kid has an impact on someones' life, causing them to make changes for the better.

Keays:  a great snipit of your epic. I would think that you would have no problem finding a fit for any monthly challenge.  Freddie & Elspeth making assumptions based on how people are dressed.  Heyes treated her with more respect than her husband did by Heaven forbid, touching her ankle.

Moulinp: oh Kid is ornery in this one, I can just see Heyes' exasperation with him at all of his comments. I enjoyed it a bunch.

HannaHeyes: I loved this offshoot of Thrown for a Loop.  But how could you leave the story off where you did.  I want to know how Kid handled her unwanted attentions????  I'm glad that this story came to you, what a gem.

Remuda: this is for Snowflakes, back in December.  I have read this a couple of times now and it touches me. That Jed could find wonder in the snowflakes after the tragedy that they suffered is touching and that Han can see the innocence still there.  Then all of the years later, the innocent little boy still exists in the man he became and Heyes can still see that that little boy still exists.  A wonderful story.

Remuda: I don't think that Heyes and Kid will like hunting for morels, it might be too hard on the back.  Enjoyed the story.

Distant Drums:  The prostitute hides the crooks from the posse, men who cheat on their wives with her, yes, we are all hypocrites.

Last edited by gin16 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2016 4:06 pm

Silverkelpie - Emmeline was one uppity spoiled brat or a woman. I felt sorry for the man she was going to marry. Luckily for him, Heyes and Curry show up and unknowingly change everything for the better for him. I loved this line from Kid:

'You know, for a man clever enough to have outsmarted most of the lawmen he's ever met, you don't seem to be able to see that if you pull another coin out of any part of my body you'll end up with it rammed into one of yours.'

Loved it!

Riders - Good thing Kid always treats his women good. And a good thing Alice remembered him those years later. I too, at first, had the same thought about Johnny. I'm glad you posted this as I don't remember having read it before. I especially loved the last few lines!

Skykomish - Another one I don't think I've read before so thanks for posting it. I love that Heyes has names for all the 'needy folks'. I really loved the one he gave Lorraine! Ironic that Deke thought the two he was talking to would be offended finding out he used to steal and went to prison. I really enjoyed the ending and the whole story itself was wonderful. I love when the boys come across characters they met in the actual episodes.

Keays - I was a little confused at first, but quickly figured out what was going on and where this story had came from. I can empathize with Heyes on walking on docks that move with the water. I've done that many times. Elspeth and Freddie are a couple I don't think I'd like to try to enjoy something with. Elspeth acted like a lot of us would though when she fell in Heyes' arms ;)
Back to top Go down
Keays

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 9:21 am

You have a point, HannahHeyes. From now on, when I'm pushed for time, or the bunnies don't hop, and I post something from my story, I'll include a little introduction first. Like with this one, I'd say "Heyes and Miranda on their honeymoon, visiting Santa Marta.". A little less confusing that way.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 9:53 am

Keays - Please know I still enjoyed it though sunny
Back to top Go down
Keays

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm

jump face
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyFri Jul 22, 2016 12:03 pm

MoulinP - Now, Kid, never judge a book by it's cover ;) Sad to know the partners are on opposite sides of the country, but happy to know they're living successfully. Loved the lines about "That other fella can take care of himself." Then the grunt of disbelief from Kid. Kid sure had a running commentary during Heye's story and I enjoyed it. So that's what the dime novel section was leading to. I loved finding out the author. He wrote about a very important issue. Of course he would have the guts to write that. I hope it was successful for him. Looking forward to reading the longer version.
Back to top Go down
Distant Drums

Distant Drums

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 7:59 am

Silverkelpie - That man really had a lucky escape didn't he?  Emmeline was really spoiled and selfish.  I love how the boys did good even when they were doing bad.  I enjoyed the two opposite points of view a lot.  It was brought full circle by the man they met when they were celebrating a successful job.  They did him a great favour and gave us a good laugh.

Riders - I love the way you wrote Alice.  These lines were great, "Do you always talk so much?”  “He does,” the Kid confirmed, lowering his arms and smiling brightly at their captors.  They were certainly right in character and Heyes' last line was superb and lifted the story back to their natural mischief

Keays - Lucky Elspeth.  Who could blame her?  I loved this line, "They were like warm chocolate, with just the right hint of mischief to lure a lady to sink into their depth".  Yes, I have often wondered how the Victorians could wear so many layers and tight corsets in extraordinary temperatures.  It certainly fits the prompt and you truly do have scene for any prompt.

Skykomish - I remember this one.  I really liked the way Annabelle handled herself in this, and it's another example of kindness paying off in the end  She really was older and wiser, but masterful writing still made her completely recognisable.  Annabelle was kinda annoying for me in the series.  She seemed to be far younger than her years, but it was maybe the way she was written.  I much prefer your version.  Older, sadder, but wiser.  Of course she had to help them.  Great story.

MoulinP -  Well, you completely surprised me with the identity of the writer and the reason for writing the book.  I didn't see that coming.  The dialogue was a delight throughout.  I really enjoyed this and also want to read about the other story Heyes talks about at the end.

HannaHeyes - Why are you apologizing?  This is fab!  Poor Judy.  This line says it all, "I could tell deep down he wanted me, but didn't want to show it."  The grabbing of the stampede string was hilarious, so was the whole wrestling match on the floor.  She get's this question all the time does she?  Lol.  I wonder why.  Well, I look forward to the tale of her meeting with Kid Curry.

Remuda - Yes, yes.  Get a new suit please!  They might not be wrinkled, but they're still horrible.  I love this line.  "A knife? I don’t see how it’s more moral to slit their throats than to just shoot ‘em. Makes ‘em hard to catch."  This is loads of fun and I love the back-and-forth misunderstanding on the 'morals/morels'.  I'm very much looking forward to reading the rest of this.  Great play on words for the prompt too.

Silverkelpie - Roseburn is quite the hypocrite, but right in keeping with the double standards of the time.  The teacher doesn't sound too happy with the situation either but I'm not sure if she's a victim or a manipulator.  Kyle and Wheat!?  Now I know that the Hank locked up was Hank from the Devil's Hole Gang I know that there is definitely a Hannibal Heyes plan coming.
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 9:32 am

Riders - It just shows that you should be nice to people when you get the chance.  You never know when it can make a difference to you.  Alice was certainly a quick-thinker and it was good to see that she got her life together and made good in the end.  Loved this one and all the dialogue was spot on. 

Skykomish - Ah, a story of the Kid's needy folk and more specifically, Annabelle with a tragic past.  It's a good job those, " Fine, upright citizens" were there to look out for her, but it turns out the other way around.  I love this line, " “We want you to believe that, too,” said Heyes.  “Cuz this is as sincere as we can get.” 

Keays - Haven't we all met these people at some time or another?  Good for Miranda choosing to take the high road and be nice.  Who could blame That lady for getting all unnecessary in Heyes' arms like that?  Yes, many people make assumptions based on appearances. Perfect for the prompt.   

MoulinP - Ah, the suits.  yes.  I always thought Heyes' suit looked cheaper than the Kid's.  So Heyes is now a writer?   I love the way you play with the stock descriptions of our gunman.  An anagram?  Very clever.  Loved it.  Now I want to read "The Blindfolded Man."

HannaHeyes - Oh, this is a hoot!  I love her complete disingenuousness in the way she attacks the object of her affections and the way Heyes tricked her into letting go.  The ending was just perfect. 

Remuda - I love the play on words in this one, and the opening with the magic saddlebags sets the tone for a great fun piece.  As usual the dialogue is superlative and fun.  I'm so looking forward to reading the rest of this one.  Picking mushrooms could be rife with problems, some dangerous, and in the case of magic mushrooms, hilarious.  Whatever you do with them is going to be wonderful.      

Distant Drums - You're becoming quite the poet, aren't you?  Quite the list of people all preying on the people less fortunate than themselves in this.  The last line really delivers and shows us that the small victories help to get us through the tough times.
Back to top Go down
Remuda

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 9:17 pm

First, three oldies spotlighing Curry and the ladies.

Silverkelpie
I didn't remember this story, so the twist was a real surprise.  Thought Emmeline was a bit much, spoiled as she was, but she got her comeuppance.  All's well that ends well with both the boys and Robert getting what they wanted.  As usual, well plotted and written.  Fun story!   

Riders
Another instance where Kid's spending time with a gal led to a resolution.  Alice was right where the boys needed her to be, much to the confusion of the bounty hunters.  I thought maybe Johnny would give it all away, but little boy busyness caught up with him.  Also loved that Kid was yet again getting married (that excuse comes in mighty handy!).  Nicely paced and written.  Well done!

Skykomish
I remembered this story.  I've always liked Annabelle, so it's nice to see her again.  Here, her newfound maturity reveals a devious streak, although used in a good way.  Methinks she's skipping town both to get away before she could be found out and to make sure her money is safe in case she thinks the boys really plan to rob the bank.  Nicely atmospheric throughout.  It was good to read it again.
Back to top Go down
MoulinP

MoulinP

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 10:59 am

Silverkelpie 1

The Kid as the other man under sufferance while Heyes pulls the job. Great twist at the end.

Riders57

The Kid helping without even knowing it. His kindness returned just when it was needed.

Skyomish

So the Kid helping Annabelle from the boxcar episode pays off in the end.

Keays

Extract from Wedded Bliss - a small comparison of attitudes of the time.

HannaHeyes

Judy as the predator. How Heyes struggles to get away. Would loved to seen that - lots of chuckles as I read it.

Silverkelpie 2

School teacher drinking the hard stuff and being encouraged to do so but of course she's not admitting it.

Remuda

Very clever play on words around morals - I mean morrels

Distant Drums

Think I'm beginning to get poetry a little. I found this quite thought provoking.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 5:09 pm

Finally getting to finish July...

Silverkelpie - I'm so glad that you continued this. I had an idea who was responsible for the dynamite and I'm glad to see I was right. It was hard to be a school teacher back then, expected to act and do, or not do, certain things. Of course the boys would be there to help an old gang member. Looking forward to reading more of this!

Remuda - Ahh, morel mushrooms, one of my favorite delicacies! I hunt them every spring. They can be quite elusive. The boys better be careful though. There is a kind of mushroom that looks very similar but is poisonous. I loved the whole morel/moral exchange. Love the concept of this story and looking forward to the rest!

Distant Drums - I'm enjoying your poems. I really like this one. My favorite part was that she welcomed the posse back, but knew where the boys were/are all along. Thanks for sharing these!
Back to top Go down
skykomish

skykomish

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 8:04 pm

I am finally getting to reading this month's stories.  Here is a start to the comments.

Silverkelpie – I remember this one. Emmeline is quite the spoiled brat. The word self-absorbed comes to mind. I love the banter between Heyes and Curry, particularly this line: I ain't never met anyone so selfish in my life... and that’s sayin’ something.  I know you!' The twisted road to where everyone (except Emmeline) gets what they want reminds me of a Shakespearean comedy. Fun read.

Riders – This story is also familiar. I enjoyed reading it again. The juxtaposition between the narrator's near despair and shame in the opening paragraphs and her self assured and generous actions later, makes for excellent story telling. This tale is well crafted and the timing is excellent. Applause for some great writing. Additionally, the lead character is sympathetic and likable which casts a telling spot light on the judgmental morals of the day. Lot's of clapping.

Keays – Awww, you've given our hero a weakness when it comes to small boats and floating docks. A sight-seeing boat sounds like fun. Did they really have small steam boats like that!? I always thought of steam boats as large paddle wheelers, but I don't really know. Oh my, you've captured the ugly American tourist complaining about how other people do things in their own country. Those sorts make me a bit crazy. Love Elspeth's reaction to falling into Heyes' arms. Nice descriptions of the various personalities setting out on this little boat.

MoulinP – Fun banter at the beginning of the book. I have to agree with the Kid, that some of those lines don't sound like him. I wondered if Heyes was really the author. Fun Nome de Plume. Interesting take on the prompt, and an interesting and disturbing aspect of Victorian society. Nice story.
Back to top Go down
skykomish

skykomish

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 9:07 pm

Here is the rest of July

Hanna Heyes – Wow! Judy lacks any inhibitions at all.  Perhaps she does what many of us think about, but don't do.  She is one crazy lady.  Fun story.  The descriptions of a frazzled and slightly panicked Hannibal Heyes squirming to get free were great.   Loved her realization that she might have two outlaws rather than just one.  The reference to the assault charges was a hoot. 

Silverkelpie 2 -  There is a lot going on here.  You have packed a great deal of story in a small package.  I am mystified about what is happening with the school teacher.  The dynamiting around the Martin place is also interesting.  Are they trying to change the flow of the the water or are they looking for a source separate from what is behind the dam?  And now you have added a personal motivation for Heyes and Curry.  I am looking forward to reading what happens next. 

Remuda – I love the humor in this piece.  Great reference to the magic saddle bags.  The word play over the morals/morels is well written and wonderful.  I enjoyed the entire exchange between Applegate and the ex-outlaws.  These lines are great:  “A knife? I don’t see how it’s more moral to slit their throats than to just shoot ‘em. Makes ‘em hard to catch.” Kid shook his head as he explained. “And a basket’s not a good trap; you need good, spring-loaded ones.” I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and am anxiously awaiting the rest of the story. 

Distant Drums
– I really like this poem.  I felt that I got to know the woman who is speaking.  The last lines were wonderful.
Back to top Go down
Remuda

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Keays
Fun snippet of a tourist boat.  Have to admit my first thought was of Gilligan's Island, what with the snooty couple and the more easy-going people aboard, along with the two mates.  Love Elspeth's -- sorry, Mrs. Carmichael's -- reaction at falling into Heyes' arms; however, her quickly regained propriety and her husband's too formal introduction dampened the mood.  Hope the others didn't let them spoil their fun.

Moulin P

I was a bit confused by this, but after finishing and seeing your notes at the end realized it's likely an excerpt from a larger piece.  Is there a series where Heyes is writing and Kid's in Boston?  I liked Kid's protesting he wouldn't speak a certain way, and interesting how Heyes's interview was recorded. 

Hanna Heyes

This is a hoot!  Judy is quite a handful, to say the least.  And even after the sheriff confirmed with her it was Heyes, loved how he asked what she had done to him.  These lines are great -- No wonder the law can't catch him and hold onto him. He's more slippery than a greased pig.  She is certainly determined.  Now on to Curry ...  LOL

Silverkelpie 2

This is an exciting continuation.  Had suspicions we might know the dynamiting folks and there they are.  Never would have thought that was a DHG member's family, though.  I smell a Hannibal Heyes plan in the works.  And the plot thickens.  Looking forward to the rest.

Distant Drums
Another poem!  You captured well the woman's musings on the hypocrisy of the day.  Love how she helped in the end.
Back to top Go down
gin16

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptySun Aug 14, 2016 7:59 pm

MoulinP:  I can't tell you how much I liked this story, it was wonderful.  Even though Susan is promiscuous Heyes didn't have the right to hit Grainger, but he deserved it,  She is a grown woman, but she is still Heyes' little girl.  I think that Grainger did it on purpose to provoke Heyes.  Glad Kid was there, I don't think that he would be so civilized that he would forget how wild the west could still be.

Remuda:  I remembered this story.  A fun look back at when Clementine meet the boys.  As akways Heyes was looking out for Jed, taking him lunch so that he wouldn't have to go get something being all smelly and dirty. And Clem, knowing at first meeting that they would always be friends.  I enjoyed reading it again.

Keays: Is it hard to find a snippet of your epic to meet a challenge story line.  They seem to be more concerned about their horses food and sleeping conditions than their own.  Kid even gave up eating breakfast. But they needed their animals to be well cared for in case the had to suddenly depart.

Insideoutlaw: Escape from a posse, an ouchy horse, a not so dead parrot, a hungry Heyes, a hungover anxious Kid, Heyes preaching.  A fun read.  I wonder what his message was with using that particular story.

HannaHeyes: What can i say?  Judy is crazy, her story is wildly different from theirs.  It is a good thing that Heyes' day is repeating and that it will reset itself, what with being in jail and all.  Judy is lucky that she picked these two, at least they would not take advantage of her.

Moonpie.  Loved it.  Oh Kid, you need to watch out for the ladies.  A gentleman to the end.  But Kid, what happens if she should choose the hotel room?  Hmmmm?

Distant Drums: Surprise ending, i wasn't expecting that.  Full of sorrow.Well told.

Silverkelpie: Heyes and his names Pettifogger, of course he knew what it realy was, just something to throw the man off.  Now that they know that they are dealing with the RR I wonder what kind of a plan Heyes will come up with.  Looking forward to reading it.

Cimarron:  A good back story of people that survived tough life situations.  Help was provided when it was needed and promised again going forward.  I am glad that they had some good memories to share.

Remuda:  Kid and Heyes should have started a business guiding easterners around out west.  They understood the
country, what people were looking for and how to find it.  They would have had a good laugh at a lot of them tryiing to get along out west.  Mr. Pierpont did not understand any of that, only wanted to make money.  I did laugh at at Mr, Pierpont suggesting that Mr. Jones guide the group and that would leave Heyes to hunt for food.  That is backwards.

Last edited by gin16 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:07 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Remuda

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 9:49 pm

Moulin
Interesting slice of life years post-amnesty.  I found myself debating the split personality's being used as a defense given that I doubt the science of psychology was that advanced at that time, but perhaps I'm taking it too literally.  I get that Joshua Smith is highly regarded while Heyes not so much, and with Grainger's being such a cuss and Susan so wild, it would drive any father nuts.  As well, I'm not familiar with the backstory and can't picture Kid as a civilized Bostonian.  Is it available somewhere?  Good pacing and family drama throughout.

Keays
Fun how you always find a few scenes from a longer story to fit the prompt.  With any story, though, your knowledge of horses enriches the narrative, and the details are always fascinating to read.  I would never think of hay or oats being old and moldy, and what a rich analogy it is with the shabby, too-small, fishbowl of a town, with their watching themselves being watched as they rode through -- eerie and shiver-inducing enough for Curry to willingly skip breakfast in search of better climes!  LOL  The end is fun -- bliss around a campfire.  Who would have thought!
Back to top Go down
MoulinP

MoulinP

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 10:26 am

Just to answer Gin and Remuda - the Kid's back story of his life isn't posted because:

it's not good enough
I know some you don't like romance stories
it turned into a cross between ASJ and Downton Abbey!

Perhaps later this year I may be brave enough to post the first part.

However, I will say that in my ASJ universe the Kid meets his wife in unusual circumstances and goes to live with her in Boston. So HIS family are soft easterners but of course he is not - sorry for the confusion.
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 8:32 am

MoulinP -  So Heyes is in jail after getting amnesty?  Yes, you captured his character perfectly, with the sudden flashes of anger and the outlaw in him which never entirely goes away.  I want to know a lot more about his daughter and family.  I hope you are going to share this back story with us.

Remuda - Oh, I've often wondered how Clem met the boys.  This is an area which isn't often explored, so I glad you went there.  You accurately picked up her jaunty pace of communication in the style of this one.  This made me wonder if she was the reason they fell out and split up.  All very feasible, and lots of fun.

Keays - Another snippet from your epic, and it's a great one.  Bad stables, a terrible bar, and horrible food and drink.  I don't blame them for sleeping on the floor.  Was it all worse than they had as outlaws?  Are they improved? Maybe a bit, but I think the town would never have been a great place to visit.  It doesn't seem rich enough for then to rob the bank.

InsideOutlaw - From the get-go your knowledge of horse shines through, even before we got to the bar shoe.  Most ingenious take on the prompt and a most original story.  I could see how they'd take Heyes as a person learned enough to do that and he'd hold the people enthralled.  As great as usual, InsideOutlaw.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 5:31 pm

MoulinP - I think Heyes acted as any father would seeing his daughter in that situation. Even though she's practically grown, she'll always be his little girl. Interesting how you wrote Heyes and Joshua as separate personalities. Of course it's hard to hide the person you actually were for so long in life.

Remuda - I think this is the first story I've read about Clem's first meeting the boys. I enjoyed it being written as a diary entry. It somehow manages to be sweet and bittersweet all at the same time. I wonder if she ever wrote about the time she used the picture to blackmail them into helping her? The taking of the picture itself would be a good entry.

Keays - You wrote that town so rundown and seemingly disgusting that I couldn't wait for them to get out of it. If I ever go into a hotel room where I'd rather sleep in the floor instead of the bed, I think I'll just leave. Interesting question at the end...just used to it before or just expecting better now.

InsideOutlaw - Love your knowledge of horses shining through here. Nice change to see Heyes as the one with the excessive appetite. You had me thinking the same as Kid when Heyes disappeared. Glad it didn't turn out to be true.

Silverkelpie - I'm really enjoying this story. So glad to see another piece of it. Loved Heyes saying the name wrong more than once...was it on purpose I wonder...? So, a little arsony maybe? Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 5:55 am

Distant Drums - You are becoming quite the poet.  This glimpse of Wheat and Kyle's future was heartbreaking.

Cimarron - This didn't go where I thought it would when I started reading.  I thought it was an enemy and that scores were going to be settled. They kind of were but in a good way.  I'd like to read more of Lucy and her past with the boys.  She sounds like a fighter and certainly made a difference to the boys' lives.

Remuda2 - Ah, a hunting trip which is too authentic?  I can see that, but what's wrong with turkey?  I can't see that passing for buffalo though.  Good to see the boys standing up for themselves, but then they were being asked to do the impossible.

HannaHeyes - Judy's back?  Yay!  My favorite Mary Sue and she's up to her old tricks again.  Poor Kid, but so funny that Heyes told him to have fun and stepped over him.  She's a total nightmare, and the poor boys ended up in jail.  Loved the line about the saddlebags.

Moonpie - Poor Kid.  It seems like women can spot his weak point right away, and this one did.  I love that Heyes was sitting right across the road watching what was happening and knowing what was going on.  This was lots of fun.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 11:45 am

Hi Folks, I've sure missed ASJ the past few months and I know there are a lot of great stories waiting for me to read them.  Since i'm so far behind I'll start with this month's.  My comments will be pretty brief, tho'.  I lost a knife fight with some chard last night along with a chunk of fingertip so this is happening one-handed, lol.

MoulinP: Heyes has reared a free-spirit--that's karmic return at its finest.  Bet Susan wasn't too happy abput her BF turning in her father.

Rem: You caught Clem's girlishness and enthusiasm nicely. Good take on the backstory.

Keays:  You always turn up something good from your stories!

SK:  Well, heck, now i'm hooked.  I want to go back and start from the beginning.

DD:  Clever poem, clever misdirection but I love imagining that partnership too!

Cimarron:  loved the description of Lucy's laugh.  Homely as a mule's butt and 'running' the country, LOL!

Rem2: love them turning the tables on a fellow con.

HH:  Judy is the ultimate ASJ fan--can't choose who.  Sheriff of Sweetness, haha.  I'll be reading the rest of this one soon.

Moonpie:  tripped up by Silky's daughter.  Very innovative plot.

Thanks Ladies!!
Back to top Go down
Distant Drums

Distant Drums

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 12:15 pm

MoulinP - Wow!  That's how you grab the reader's attention.  Then you give us a glimpse into a whole past I'd love to read about.  Have you written this story?  If so where can I find it. 

Remuda - I always wondered how Clementine and the boys knew one another.  This is beautifully written as always, and the trick of leaving the reader reading between the lines of the diary is a very original and clever.

Keays -  What a horrible town.  No wonder they ended up camping.  Are their standards getting higher as they lead better lives?  A very good question, and caught really well in this snippet from your epic.  

InsideOutlaw - Oh, you capture wonderful, gritty action in this one, but the dialogue is just as good too.  I wasn't sure where you were taking this and you certainly surprised and didn't disappoint.  Loved the Kid bursting in and Heyes' explanation.

Cimarron - I was glad to see that Heyes never forgot those who helped him in the past and this glimpse into them running away from Valparaiso was very sweet.  Lucy's sordid past clearly didn't harden her heart.  A great character and great to see that she got her life together too.  

Silverkelpie- The plot is thickening quickly now.  So, we now now the railroad is planning on buying up land, but what is the bigger plan and what is holding it up?  I'm looking forward to finding out.

HannaHeyes - Too funny!  Yes, the Kid was playing hard to get and Heyes was right in character stepping over him and telling him to have fun.  I loved her not believing how much was in the saddlebags, well they are magic after all.

Remuda2 - Are the hunters picky eaters?  This definitely seems like a dodgy deal and Heyes is quite right to go back to the Colonel to safeguard his investment.  Now I'm wondering what buffalo tastes like.   

Moonpie - Another of the Kid's needy people?  She seemed so genuine to start with and them Heyes showed up.  I would have loved to have seen the Kid's face when the 'outraged father' burst in though. The opening scene was beautifully written.
Back to top Go down
Cimarron

Cimarron

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 12:35 pm

MoulinP - Oh dear.  That's quite the attention grabbing start.  So much going on in this one and there's a whole universe built up I'd like to read a lot more about.  I hope you are going to write up this whole backstory.  I like the idea of 'Hannibal Heyes' coming back from time to time.  It's so much like the glimpses we get of the outlaw behind the amiable mask in the series.  Loved it.

Remuda - Clementine and the boys.  The format works well and you even get her tone into it, but often reading between the lines tells you more than the actual words.  The budding romance and the playing one off against the other comes through.  Too bad she couldn't make her mind up.  They might have stayed working together and never turned to crime.  What am I saying?  Then there'd never be a series!  Scrub that thought.

Keays - It is true.  You have an excerpt for every occasion, and this one works well for the prompt.  The way everyone watched them as they went through seemed accurate for a small town when seeing strangers.  Great knowledge of horses in this one, and the human accommodation wasn't any better than the horses'.  I love the idea that maybe the towns weren't getting wore, but that they were getting better.

InsideOutlaw - The action scenes were wonderfully written and thrust us right into the action.  This was full of sharp observation and witty lines like the resting parrot.  Your stories always surprise us and this is no exception.  I didn't expect Heyes to be coopted into that role.  I wonder what the congregation would have thought if they'd known their preacher was Hannibal Heyes?

Distant Drums - Such a tragic poem, and not what I thought when I first started to read. It went to a tragedy I hadn't even considered.  Very unusual, and very moving.

Silverkelpie - So now we know the rail road is coming through and Roseburn wanted to get the Martin's land cheap to make a profit?  I like the idea of giving him more to worry about and I'm intrigued by the bigger plan Heyes has in mind.

Remuda2 - Tasting too wild?  Too gamey?  I've never tasted buffalo to I'm now really curious and fancy trying it for myself.  Heyes definitely has a point in his approach to Mr. Pierpont's plan.  It does sound somewhat dodgy, and surely one of his 'guests' is going to call him out on it.

HannaHeyes - I'm so glad you continued this, Judy is so very funny, and in lacking on insight.  Playing hard to get?  Not when Heyes runs into jail, they're not.  The saddlebags line was very clever too.  Loved it.   

Moonpie - An original take on the prompt, and this didn't go where I thought it would go.  I thought this damsel in distress would lead to trouble, but not were the story actually went.  Loved the last line.
Back to top Go down
Moonpie
Admin
Moonpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2016 1:43 pm

MoulinP - You minx, tempting us with this vision of the future.  I hope you are going to write this universe for us, as his wife and daughter seem great and there are loads of things I want to see in detail.  You write Heyes so well. with the old outlaw leader rearing his head now and again.  More please.  Lots more.   

Remuda1 - Lucky Clementine, meeting the boys like that.  Of course she loved them as more than brothers, but did that get between them?  Is that what thrust them out of working life and into a life of crime?  Very original and I liked the diary format.  That worked really well.

Keays - What a dreary place!  I loved this line, "Maybe it's not the small towns that are getting worse, but us who are expecting better.”  It must have been bad for the Kid to skip breakfast.  It was hard to believe this wasn't a self-contained story as it ended so beautifully with the cozy scene around the campfire.

InsideOutlaw - A surprising and different twist on the prompt.  It's full of action, derring-do, witty banter, and gritty, sweat-stained realism; then you took it in a totally different direction and confounded me.  Your stories are always clever, original, and different.  This one is no exception.

Distant Drums - I found this quite visceral and tragic in its realism.  I always say I'm not one for poetry until something hits me like this one.  

Cimarron - You write short but intense pieces with great views of points in the boys' lives.  I'd like to see your whole universe some time.  Lucy is a great character and I loved that her laugh was the way Heyes recognised her.

Silverkelpie - I'm looking forward to reading this altogether.  I'm sure you're misleading us and hiding things in plain sight.  It's what you do, but I'm enjoying the ride.

Remuda2 - A somewhat dodgy hunting party has Heyes on the side of right.  It does make me wonder if everything really does taste like chicken, but I'm guessing that buffalo definitely wouldn't.  I imagine it tastes like beef.  Am I right?  Heyes definitely does have a point when he says it takes one to know one.   

HannaHeyes - Judy is an absolute nightmare and a hoot.  I loved Heyes actually running into the sheriff's office to get away from her.  So visually written and very, very funny.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Applause and Feedback
Page 13 of 41Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 27 ... 41  Next