Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gold

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Gold Empty
PostSubject: Gold   Gold EmptyWed Sep 01, 2021 5:08 am

It's time for you to consider September's challenge, and as you're in the beginnings of Autumn, I thought it would be pertinent to offer you the topic of:
sun 1
Gold  
safe
That might be actual gold, a surname, a golden-oldie, golden years, a place, an age, or even fool's gold - or any other spin your imaginative minds might put on the prompt.

What are you waiting for? Those inspired ideas won't write themselves down.   
Back to top Go down
https://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

Gold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gold   Gold EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 4:58 am

Missing scenes from "Wrong Train to Brimstone"
-----------------
“I’m a-goin to sit this next hand out, fellas. Game’s too rich for me.”

The little man’s pronouncement caused a few shoulders to shrug and only one comment. “Suit yourself. Come on back whenever you feel like losing some more.”

Kyle Murtree pushed his chair back and stood. “Well, I might contribute some funds, but I sure ain’t contributing my whiskey.” He filled his glass from the half-empty bottle that stood in the middle of the table. 

“Don’t take that whole bottle, Murtree,” someone – Kyle couldn’t remember his name – growled at him. “There’s some thirsty men here.”

“’Course not.” Before Kyle had taken two steps towards the bunkhouse door, his seat was filled. He kept his gaze focused on the floor, not wanting to get into another confrontation with some likkered-up fool. When two boots appeared in his view, he looked up and met Hank’s blue eyes.

“Why’re you leavin’? Night’s still young.”

“Why’re you stayin’? Ain’t you put up with enough for one night?”

“It ain’t so bad. I don’t mind. They’s just funnin’.”

Kyle looked over his shoulder at the rough men crouched over their cards at three separate tables. “These new fellas don’t seem like much fun to me. ‘Specially the way they talk to you, makin’ fun of your name an’ all. That don’t seem right to me.”

Hank’s voice was low, but somehow penetrated the background noise of deep voices making bets and arguing behind them.

“There’s a sayin’ I heard a lot when I was startin’ out. Made a lotta sense to me. If someone’s just tryin’ to rile me, just for the sake of rilin’ me, I say to myself, is this the hill you want to die on? So far, I ain’t never crossed that hill yet.” Now his blue eyes met Kyle’s blue eyes. “Ain’t you the same way?”

“I ain’t so sure about that right now. Which is why I’m gonna get some distance between me and these fellas. If you’re smart, you’ll do the same thing. But if you ain’t comin’ with me, just move aside. I’m fixin’ to take a walk.” Hank stepped away, and Kyle slipped past him.

Outside, Kyle stepped off the threshold and took in a deep breath. The clouds of cigar smoke that hung low under the bunkhouse ceiling were stale and acrid, but still not strong enough to cover up the aroma of dirty, sweaty men and the leftovers of their dinners and stomach contents. August in the Wind River Range, the air was clear and fresh. The constant wind had a taste of chill in it, warning that the bitter Wyoming winter was coming. But on this night, the winter seemed far away, and the noise coming from the crowded bunkhouse was too close. It felt to him like there hadn’t been any peace and quiet at Devil’s Hole for a long time. He decided to take a walk around the meadow, clear his aching head a bit. 

The corral by the stable was quiet. The horses were all settled down for the night. For a moment, Kyle thought about going in to lay with them. The fresh straw could be mighty comfy, and he could get some real sleep there. Not like in the bunkhouse, where all those new men Wheat brought in played poker and drank and argued till the wee hours. It was no place for a self-respecting outlaw to get some rest. He took a long drink of his whiskey, put the glass on the ground, and leaned onto the fence, thinking about nothing more than how pretty these late summer nights were. Every star in the sky was shining down on him, and he could follow the Milky Way real easy.

“What’re you hanging out here by your lonesome? Ain’t there a game going on?”

Kyle turned around. Wheat Carlson was standing beside him, hands on hips, sounding kinda mad.

“There’s always a game goin’ on these days. Missin’ one don’t mean nothin’.”

Wheat grunted, but he came forward and leaned on the fence, mimicking Kyle’s posture.

“Sure is a pretty night.”

“Sure is.”

The two men watched the sky for a long moment.

“So what are you doin’ out here, Kyle?”

He shrugged. “Wonderin’, I guess.”

“Wonderin’ what?”

“Oh, lots of things. When I’m gonna get some sleep tonight. Where I’m gonna sleep tonight.” At Wheat’s puzzled expression, Kyle explained.

“Them new boys you brought in play cards and drink too much, and then they start fightin’ and calling everyone bad names. I can’t get no good sleep no more. Which you wouldn’t know, since you’re staying in the leader’s cabin now, and you ain’t sharing it with your partner. I’m wonderin’ what they’re doin’ here, since we ain’t had no jobs except some piddly shit since Heyes and Kid left.”

“Whaddaya mean, piddly shit? We had some good hauls. Are you tellin’ me I ain’t a good leader?” Kyle glanced at his partner. Wheat’s voice hadn’t risen. He was talking quiet and calm-like. Normally, Wheat got all high and mighty if he thought someone was finding fault with him. 

“I ain’t saying that at all, Wheat. I’m your partner, you remember? I’m just wonderin’, that’s all.”

“I know,” Wheat said. He was staring at the sky like something real interesting was happening there. Kyle looked up, too, trying to see if anything had changed, but all he saw was the Milky Way, hanging high and bright over their heads, and over the narrow valley where the Devil’s Hole hideout huddled between snow-capped mountains.

“I know I had a slow start, Kyle. I know what Hank and Lobo are saying. I know why Preacher left. I know what you’re thinkin’, even though you ain’t said nothin’ till now.” He turned towards Kyle, and his voice got intense. “But listen to me. I got a plan for a big haul. A real big haul. We’re gonna get rich, richer than we ever got with Heyes running things. Enough for all of us to buy some nice ranchero in Mexico, and no one’s ever got to spend another winter freezing their cojones up here in Wyoming.”

“How big is real big?” 

“Quarter of a million dollars. That enough for you?”

Kyle whistled, low and slow. “Hoo-ee, Wheat! Who’s got that kind of money in one place?”

Wheat bent closer to Kyle and whispered. “I’m only telling you this before everyone else, because you’re my partner. But you got to keep it under your hat till I tell the other boys tomorrow. Can you do that?”

“’Course I can. You know me.”

“Yeah, I do, That’s why I’m askin’ for your word.”

“We’s partners, Wheat,” he protested. Wheat only stared at him. “Alright, you got my word. I won’t say nothin’ afore you tell everyone. ‘Sides, I’m the only one half-sober out of that whole bunch. Even Hank and Lobo are three sheets to the wind.”

“Alright. It’s the payroll for the Wash Valley Consolidated Mining Company. They’re shipping it to the Denver mint. We’re going to stop the train it’s on – same train we’ve stopped twice before, so we know where it is and how to do.” He slapped Kyle on the bank. “It’s gold, Kyle. Lots and lots of gold. Ain’t nobody gonna remember Heyes or Curry when we split that mother lode.”

“Gold?” Kyle couldn’t keep the doubt out of his voice. “Are you for sure? How’re we gonna carry away a quarter million dollars in gold?”

“Now you know why I had ta bring in all those new men. We need every last one of them to carry out them gold bars.”

“But a train we hit twicet before? The lawmen are gonna be waitin’ for us. It might even be a trap. Did ya think of that?”

“Uh-uh. It means the law don’t expect us. They don’t expect us to make the same hit three times. ‘Sides, you know from before, the lawmen around here ain’t smart enough to blow their own noses even if they used your dynamite. It ain’t like they’s Bannerman men, Ain’t no chance there’s a trap.”

“But we already robbed the same train twicet before. They could figure out real easy, if’n we did it twicet, we could do it three times.”

“Kyle, you’re the best powder man round, but it’s real clear you ain’t got the mind of a leader. Not that that’s a bad thing! It’s just that you ain’t suited to run this gang like I am.”

“Well, I ‘spose that’s true. I know I ain’t suited to be leader. I just wonder. . . “

“Well, don’t,” Wheat said. “I’m the leader now of this here gang. You leave the wonderin’ and the plannin’ to me. But now you understand why I needed more men. And even with more men, there’s still gonna be more’n enough gold for everyone here.”

“With that big a payroll, ain’t they gonna have extra guards? More security? ‘Cause I sure would.”

“Nope. Fact is, they’re trying to do everything hush-hush. They’re running that train out of Brimstone, just like it’s a regular passenger train with regular luggage. No special guards, no nothing. Nobody’s supposed to think there’s anything special or different ‘bout that run.”

“How’d you hear about it then, if’n it’s such a big secret?”

Wheat tapped his nose with one finger. “I got my ways. People tell me things over a poker game that they don’t mean to, once they got half a bottle of fine whiskey in them.”

Kyle looked off into the sky again, not speaking. 

“Don’t be looking like that, Kyle. It’s gonna work.” Wheat straightened up to his full height. “Or don’t you trust me? Best to tell me now. If you ain’t with me, I got to know. This job’s happening, whether you come or not.”

“I’m with you, Wheat, same as always. Ain’t that what partners are for?” 

“Damn straight.” He held out his hand. “Partners through thick and thin.”

Kyle reached over and shook Wheat’s hand. “I’m just hoping tt’s gonna be thick. Things’ve been mighty thin lately.”

“It will be. Trust me on this. I’m plannin’ to tell the boys tomorrow my plan. And in a few days, we are all gonna be rich men. You’ll see.”

“Well, I’d sure like to be rich. I’d buy me a nice farm back in Tennessee, settle down there, maybe hire some of my nephews to work for me whilst I sit on my porch and watch ‘em.”

“Tennessee? You must be plumb loco. It’s even worse’n Texas since the war. No, Mexico’s the place to go. Lots of pretty senoritas, and a dollar goes real far there.”

“But I don’t speak Mexican.”

Wheat threw a companionable arm across his friend’s shoulders.

“Don’t you worry none about that. Your money’ll do your talkin’ for you.”

“Well . . . I guess it’s alright then. I guess if Hank can put up with them a while longer, I can, too.”

“Why?” Wheat asked. “What’s happenin’ with Hank?”

“Just . . . it’s damn fool stuff. Couple of them saw his ring and asked who he stole it from. When he told ‘em it was his ring, his initials, and his real name was Henry Maxwell Jenkins, they thought it was real funny. They been givin’ him a hard time about his fancy name ever since.”

Wheat shook his head. “Ain’t Hank ever heard, sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me?”

“Yeah, he has. It just goes to show Hank’s a better man than any of them.”

“You know what, Kyle? I’ll make it up to him. I’ll make sure he gets a bigger share of the haul than the other fellas. All the weight of that gold in his saddlebags will make up for a lot.”

“That’s real generous of you, Wheat. I’m sure he’s gonna appreciate that.”

Wheat slapped Kyle on the back. “Just don’t tell no one ahead of time. Those other fellas might not like hearing that.”

“I won’t. You got my word on that, too.”

“And there’s one more thing I’m fixin’ to do. Tomorrow morning, when all them fellas are sleeping off their fat heads, you collect your plunder and bring it to the leader’s cabin. You’re moving in with me.”

“You mean that, Wheat? You ain’t just funnin’ me?”

“Sure, I do. We’re partners, after all. ‘Sides, there’s pressy – a pressy – it’s been done before. Heyes and Kid were partners, weren’t they? And they shared the leader’s cabin.”

“But they was both leaders, Wheat,” Kyle objected. “You said I ain’t got the brains to be a leader.”

“Then I’ll be setting a new – a new pressy-dent. And you’ll be able to get some real sleep, not being in the bunkhouse no more.”

“Thank you kindly, Wheat. I’d like that. I surely would. And just think!” he said, his smile getting wider and wider. “This time next week, we’ll be rich men.”

“We sure will, partner. We sure will.”

Javabee, Nelly Pledge, fledge23 and Nebraska Wildfire like this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.lunartidemassageandangeltherapy.com
Kattayl

Gold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gold   Gold EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 3:16 pm

Written for Challenge “Gold”

Waking slowly, Jed Curry opened his eyes hoping not to see what he expected.  But there they were – bars.  He had not dreamed it.  He was in jail in Long Lake, a small mining town.   Sitting up, he looked around, but nothing had changed.  The cell to his right held a sleeping drunk that had somewhere lost his right shoe and snored through his nose.

The cell to his left was empty, but the last cell held a rotund man who was sitting up reading and whose breathing sounded like gurgling.  

Sighing, Curry wondered where Heyes was right now; they would laugh about these men.  

“Sheriff?  Is it time to eat yet?”  Curry called through the open door to the sheriff’s office.  

Sheriff Richard Turner ducked his six-foot eight frame through the door into the cell area of the jail.  Standing outside Jed’s cell, his deep voice resonated in the cell block.  “You hungry again, Curry?  Two hours to go before dinner.”

Standing up from the cot, Curry still had to lean his neck back to look the lawman in the eyes.

“Shut up, Curry.  Want a book to read?”

Intimidated by the man’s height and air of authority, Curry sat back down.  

“No, no book.”  Curry laid down on his back as he answered.  Heyes would have taken a book, he thought and again he wondered again where Heyes was.  “Just goin’ to take another nap.”

“Sleep while you can, Curry.  The wagon comes for you tomorrow and your leisure time will end soon enough.”  Sheriff Turner laughed as he walked back to his office.

Curry covered his eyes with his hat and thought back to yesterday.  Heyes had found a job in the diner.  It wasn’t an ideal job, but they needed the money and there was no other work available anywhere in town.  “Figure I can do anything for a day or two, Kid,” he had said.  “Try to stay out of trouble if you can’t find any work and I’ll see you in the livery tonight.” 

Curry sighed.  Sleeping in the loft in the livery had been better than this hard cot and thin blanket in the jail.  He had really tried to stay out of trouble.  Fishing in Long Lake all morning, he knocked on the back door of the diner with his catch when lunchtime approached, hoping to eat with Heyes.  The man that opened the door, looked him over, saying, “Fifty cents for your fish.”

Not sure what to do, Curry let him take the fish and put the fifty cents in his pocket.  “I was lookin’ for my friend.”

Heyes came around the corner, hands full of dirty dishes and a white apron tied around his waist.  

The man glared at Heyes and growled, “He your friend?”

Heyes nodded and the man walked away.  “Make it quick; you don’t get no breaks on this job.”

“Sorry, Heyes, thought you would get a lunch break and we could eat together.”

“No, Kid, he works me hard, but we need the money.  I’ll see you tonight.”

“Okay,” answered Curry, not liking to see Heyes as an overworked waiter.  “Oh, here.”  He dug in his pocket and handed Heyes the fifty cents.  “You hold this.  I’d just spend it or lose it.  Got it for the fish I caught.”

Smiling, Heyes took the money, giving ten cents back to Curry.  “Get yourself something cheap to eat.”

Curry had walked to the General Store and bought a few peppermints and walked back out towards Long Lake.

As dusk approached, he walked back into town on Main Street.  Something shiny in the dirt and dust under the wooden sidewalk caught the last glimpse of full sunlight.  Distracted, Curry reached down and picked up the gold nugget, turning it around to see it better in the light.

“Turn around slowly, Curry.  Hands up in the air.  Don’t make a move for that gun.”  

Quickly slipping the nugget into his pocket, Curry turned.  He felt his heart pounding harder and forced a smile on his face.  He could not believe he had been caught so easily.

“Sheriff?” Curry smiled his best innocent smile.

Sheriff Turner’s voice was business-like and cold.  “Jed Curry, we knew you were around here somewhere, kid.  Been looking for you for days.”

Turner slipped Curry’s gun out of the holster.  “Walk ahead of me, real slow.  Head to my office.”

Curry sighed and did as he was told, looking around for Heyes as he walked.

As the cell door clanged behind him, Curry felt alone and tried not to panic.  He knew this was not his final destination.

ASJ----------ASJ----------ASJ----------ASJ

“Curry, wake up.  Your dinner is here.”

Curry jumped at the Sheriff’s gruff tone.  “Step to the back of the cell and face the wall.  Put your hands up high on the wall where I can see them.  Heard you’re tricky and you’ve managed to get away twice now.  You’re not escaping from this jail,” growled Turner.  

Taking a deep breath, Curry did as he was told.  He glanced over his shoulder and almost turned back around.  Heyes was standing there with a tray, a smile, and a wink.

“Put that tray on his cot and get out of there quickly,” Turner ordered Heyes.  

Curry chanced a glance back and saw Heyes scurrying from the cell.

Hearing the cell door clang shut in back of him, Curry turned around.  He put the tray on his lap and started eating, glad for the food and confident knowing Heyes would get him out of this jail.

“Psst, Kid.”  Curry heard Heyes’ voice outside the cell window.

“Heyes!” Curry cried out, then quickly put his hand over his mouth.  He peeked down to the Sheriff’s desk and was relieved that no one was sitting there to hear him.

“Heyes,” Curry whispered.  “They’re movin’ me tomorrow.  Sheriff said wagon will be here before noon.”

“Don’t worry, Kid.  Don’t make trouble, but once that wagon clears town, look for me to make my move.”

Curry smiled to himself; Heyes had a plan.

“Will do, partner.  Thanks,” said Curry.

“See you tomorrow, Kid.”

ASJ----------ASJ----------ASJ----------ASJ

Sheriff Turner pushed Curry against the back wall of his cell and bound his hands in front of him.  “Don’t make me sorry I didn’t tie your hands behind your back, Curry.  If you hadn’t escaped twice before I wouldn't tie you at all.  This will make for an easier trip for you.”

Looking down at his hands, Curry just nodded.  He felt like pulling at the ropes and screaming but knew it would do no good.

Turner walked him out to the wagon and Curry climbed in the back with assistance.  He sat, eyes down, and waited.

The wagon bounced out of town.  Curry kept his eyes down and his thoughts to himself.  

Catching a quick movement in front of the wagon, he braced himself as it pulled to a jerking stop.

Smiling, Curry saw Heyes standing in front of the wagon, holding Curry’s gun pointed at the driver.

“Just stay still and we’ll be gone before you know it,” he told the driver.

Curry scampered from the back of the wagon and ran to Heyes.  

“Now why did you have to tie his hands?” Heyes asked.  “He’s only a boy.”

The wagon driver snorted.  “I’m paid to bring runaways back to Valparaiso.  They told me to do whatever I needed to do,” he said without emotion.  

“Ain’t goin’ back there, ever,” Jed yelled at him.

Heyes smiled.  “You heard him, mister.  He ain’t going back there.  Move along.”  He pointed with the gun down the road.

The driver studied them.  “I’ve been searching for him for a week.  I get paid by the head to bring them back.  I’ve got other easier ones to find.  Take him.  Go,” he finished with a sigh.

Keeping the Kid behind him, Heyes backed into the woods.  He pulled a knife from his boot and cut the ropes binding his hands.

“How’d you get my gun, Heyes?  It was locked in the sheriff’s desk,” asked Curry.

“I know,” answered Heyes.  “When has that ever stopped me?  Was afraid you wouldn’t come without it.”

Heyes studied his gangly blue-eyed cousin.  “How’d you get into trouble so quick, Kid?”

“Don’t know.  Trouble finds me.  I’ll be glad when I’m your age, Han, and too old for Valparaiso. I'll be free and no one will be trying to catch me.”

Curry’s eyes sparkled as he remembered what was in his pocket.

“Got something for you, Heyes.  Found it just lying under the sidewalk on Main Street.  That’s when Sheriff Turner caught me.”

He handed his older cousin the gold nugget with pride.  

Heyes turned it over and over looking at it from all angles.  He tossed his long hair back off his face.  “Gold, Kid?!”  His eyes widened in amazement.

Curry nodded, unable to keep a huge smile from his face.

“Good work, Kid.  We need to find an assay office and sell this.  Should be enough for a bed and meals through most of the winter.”

Walking down the road, smiling, they were content just to be in each other’s company and heading to a new adventure.

Javabee, Nelly Pledge and fledge23 like this post

Back to top Go down
Javabee

Javabee

Gold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gold   Gold EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 11:25 pm

Gold

Heyes and Curry were finishing up a dirty and dusty cattle drive that was particularly hard on the back. As bad as it was, Kid insisted the worst part was enduring the inexcusably bad grub. Heyes agreed, but didn’t get as upset over affairs of the stomach as his disgruntled partner.

They hightailed it to town when the drive was over, but still got in late. Even so, with a little persuasion from Heyes and an extra gold coin, they managed to get a bath brought up to their hotel room. Afterwards, they finally collapsed into the first bed they’d seen in over a month. 

In the morning the Kid woke up ravenous, threatening to eat a grizzly bear if one had the misfortune to get in his way. Heyes wisely and promptly asked the desk clerk to point them in the direction of the best restaurant in town, resolving to buy his grumpy partner breakfast. This is how they found themselves at Betsy’s Cafe, obviously a local favorite.

The folks at Betsy’s outdid themselves, earning their reputation with flying colors. Kid’s plate was a gastronomical sight to behold. The tower of hot flapjacks was piled high with maple syrup dripping down the sides, topped with a generous dollop of freshly churned butter. His eggs were beautifully prepared, over-easy, with a slab of crispy bacon, just the way Kid liked it. Betsy herself left an entire pot of steaming black coffee on their table with fresh cream and sugar, to add as they desired.

Heyes had every reason to expect his cousin’s mountain of an appetite, and ultimately his mood, to be finally soothed. He relaxed and scanned the morning paper, while enjoying a modest fare of scrambled eggs and toast. After some time he lowered the paper, long enough to take a sip of his coffee, and froze. Something was wrong. Very, very wrong.

“Kid?”  Heyes noticed his partner's breakfast was surprisingly untouched.

“Yeah?” The Kid winced as he took a tentative sip of his coffee and rubbed his jaw.

“Don’t tell me there’s something wrong with your food.” Heyes was done with Kid’s complaining, especially when Betsy’s food was so undeniably tasty.

“It ain’t that, Heyes.”

“What, then?” 

Ignoring his partner, Kid frowned, bit down on a piece of crunchy bacon, and grimaced in pain. Being a genius, that’s all it took for Heyes to understand what was troubling him.

“Looks like you’ve got a bad tooth, cousin.”

“It ain’t nothin.” 

“Sure looks like something to me.”  Heyes watched in dismay as the Kid ruefully pushed his overflowing plate of delicious food away.

“Leave it, Heyes.” The Kid’s normally sky blue eyes darkened with irritation.

Heyes studied his cousin. Wordlessly he placed his newspaper on the table, pushed it towards him, and tapped on one of the stories.

The gunman leaned forward, and tentatively read the title out loud. “S.E. Blake DDS, Opens First Professional Dental Practice In Town.”

“Nope.” Kid pushed the paper away and leaned back in his chair.

Heyes immediately pushed it back. “Don’t be that way, Kid. Read it. You might get some help and eventually be able to eat something.”  Getting his partner to eat, thereby improving his cranky mood, was his top priority.

Knowing his partner wouldn’t let up, Kid reluctantly took the paper and began to read.

Impatient, Heyes began to summarize. “It says the dentist has one of those new reclining chairs, so you can get comfortable. And you won’t feel a thing since he’s gonna use ether.”

“I can read, Heyes.” Kid didn’t look up from the page.

Sensing he might be making some headway, Heyes continued.

“And it says right there the dentist has modern dental tools and experience in  extraction, crowns and fillings.”

Kid grunted. “I ain’t in the mood for your silvery tongue right now, Heyes.”

Heyes continued. “and Dr. Blake is highly qualified, a graduate of the Philadelphia College of Dental Surgery.”

Kid put down the paper and eye-balled his partner. “You know it don't take book-learning to pull a tooth. I reckon the blacksmith could yank it out. That’s what Kyle did.”

Heyes looked incredulous. “No offense to Kyle, but are you really gonna use him as an example of good dental hygiene?” 

Kid didn’t know what to say to that so he changed the subject. “I don’t wanna waste our hard earned money.”

“We just got paid, you know we’re flush, and it says the rates are reasonable.”

“Yeah, but….:,”

Just about then both men heard a slurping sound coming from a table nearby. Heyes discreetly nodded his head towards the sound and leaned in to whisper.

“You wanna end up like that poor old-timer in your golden years? Slurping down soup, oatmeal and pudding when you could have steak, bacon and apple pie?”

Kid looked at the elderly gentlemen, noting the man’s unfortunate lack of teeth and the unappetizing meal he was trying to eat. Then he gazed at his abandoned stack of delicious flapjacks and perfectly crisped bacon. His stomach growled.

Kid had a pained expression on his face. “You win, Heyes.”

Heyes flashed a dimpled smile. “Don’t you worry about a thing, partner.” He motioned to Betsy. “We'll get you into that dentist and you’ll be eating pancakes and bacon before you know it. In the meantime, let’s get you some oatmeal.”

Kid reluctantly nodded in agreement as he longingly watched Betsy carry his delicious  pancakes and bacon away. 

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

“I gotta hand it to ya, partner, seeing the dentist was one a the best plans you ever had.” The two ex-outlaws were smoking cigars and relaxing in the chairs on the hotel porch. It was a lovely day and they were enjoying each other's company while watching the townsfolk go about their business.

“I’m glad you finally saw it my way.” Heyes was delighted to have his congenial partner back. Ever since he visited the dentist, Kid was eating well and back to his old self.

“Yeah, but you ain’t the only genius around, Heyes. That dentist clued me into all sorts of ways to keep from losing my teeth.”

Heyes raised an inquisitive brow and took another puff from his cigar. “That so?”

“Yup. They got a new kinda paste in a tube you rub on your teeth. If you use it everyday and go to the dentist regular-like, then you can keep from ending up with nothin but a mouthful a gums.”

Heyes was as pleased as he was a little perplexed by his partner's enthusiasm. Not wanting to discourage him, he nodded. “Sounds like that dentist might be onto something.”

“You got that right, partner. As a matter of fact, the dentist said I have a few more teeth that could use some work. Like you said, we’re flush. So I think I’m gonna go back, you know, for my health and all.”

Now Heyes hadn’t heard his partner use this many words in a row for a long time, maybe never. And for the Kid to voluntarily want to go back to the dentist when he didn’t even have a toothache was downright quizzical.

“You feeling alright, Kid?”

“Never better, and I owe it all to you and Dr. Blake. As a matter of fact I asked the good doctor to meet me here. I want to introduce you.” 

Heyes straightened up in his chair. Maybe if he met this doctor he could get to the bottom of his partner’s sudden interest in the virtues of good dental hygiene. “That’s a good idea, Kid. I’m surprised you thought of it. I'd like to buy him a meal and thank him for his help.”

Around this time they noticed a strikingly beautiful young lady walking down the boardwalk in their direction. She was wearing a conservative blue dress that still managed to accent her very feminine curves. Her long dark brown hair was piled onto her head in a flattering style, with tendrils and curls framing her pretty face. Her sky blue eyes were bright and knowing. She stepped right up the stairs to the hotel and walked over to the two men.

Kid elbowed his partner and hissed. “Here she is now.” The two men leapt to their feet, quickly looked for a place to put out their cigars, and pulled their hats off in deference to the lady. 

“Joshua, I’d like to introduce Dr. Susan Blake. Susan, this is my cousin Joshua Smith.”

The confident lady offered her manicured hand, “Mr. Smith, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

He quickly recovered from his surprise, and shook her hand. “The pleasure is all mine, Doctor. Please, call me Joshua.”

“And you must call me Susan. I hear I have you to thank for convincing our Thaddeus to come to me for help.” As she spoke she rested a dainty but capable hand on Kid’s shoulder.

Heyes quickly glanced at Kid, who interestingly avoided eye contact. “I think ‘our’ Thaddeus just needed a little push in the right direction, Ma’am. Before he visited you he could hardly eat.”

“I’m so pleased I was able to help him finally satisfy his appetite.” The lovely doctor smiled sweetly.

Heyes cleared his throat. “Yes Doctor, ‘er Susan. Thanks to you, it looks like his appetite is just fine. As a matter of fact, I’d be honored to buy you dinner as a token of appreciation.”

“Sorry, Joshua. Me and Susan already have plans for dinner. She’s gonna tell me more about takin care a my teeth, while we get to know each other better.”

Heyes surmised they had gotten to know each other pretty well already. He put on his black hat and smiled at the lady. “Some other time?”

“Yes, of course.” The doctor had a twinkle in her eye. “You know, Joshua, at college the female students had an interesting saying: The way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but you won’t find your way there without a good dentist.”

Kid solemnly nodded his head in agreement. “Wiser words were never spoken.” He then leaned in towards his cousin and whispered, “I told ya she was a genius.” 

With that, Kid put on his brown hat and offered his arm to the lovely doctor. Before he turned and escorted her towards the restaurant, he grinned and winked at his partner, proudly flashing his new gold tooth. 

Heyes pushed his hat back on his head a notch, rested his hands on his hips, and watched the couple walk away. He was always pleased to see one of his plans succeed, and this one had turned out even better than expected. He shook his head and smiled to himself as a pair of dimples made an encore appearance.

Nelly Pledge and fledge23 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gold   Gold Empty

Back to top Go down

Gold
Page 1 of 1