Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fool's Gold

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fool's Gold Empty
PostSubject: Fool's Gold   Fool's Gold EmptyThu Apr 01, 2021 4:58 am

We have reached April, and as spring  brings us warmth and renewal I thought that the prompt
safe
Fool's Gold
St Patrick 21
would be one to get your talented fingers tapping in those keyboards.

The glistening stuff can be actual fool's gold, but it can just be something of value that someone is foolishly tempted by, or even be allegorical. 

What are you waiting for?
Writing
Get writing!
Back to top Go down
https://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Kattayl

Fool's Gold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fool's Gold   Fool's Gold EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 5:26 pm

Fool’s Gold 

Hannibal Heyes, leader of the Devil’s Hole Gang paced the porch of the leader’s cabin surveying his kingdom comparing it to King Arthur’s Camelot from his latest book.  The Devil’s Hole Gang were his Knights of the Round Table and he was their protective leader.  Right now, his attention was focused on one of the knights in his gang, Kyle, working with the horses.  Kyle was absent mindedly brushing the horses.  Thoroughly finishing one horse, he would move on to the next.  He had brushed every horse twice now and just methodically started brushing them a third time.  He was speaking low to each animal as he brushed but Heyes could tell his mind was distracted. 

Heyes attention was caught by his partner Kid Curry and Preacher walking quietly back to their compound with two stringers of brown and rainbow trout, enough for dinner with leftovers for a nice fish stew.  Smiling to himself, he bet that the two of them had not exchanged more than ten words in the hours they had been fishing.  Yet each would say they had a good companiable time.   

“Kid,” Heyes motioned Curry over to the cabin and went inside.  “Looks like the trout were biting.  How a good time?” 

“Had a relaxing companiable time, Heyes.” Curry answered.  Heyes smiled to himself. 

“What’s up with Kyle, Kid?  He’s been moping around since you all returned from Rainbow last week.  Hasn’t said a word to anyone but those horses.” 

“Not sure, Heyes.  He seemed fine, as fine as Kyle can be.  He was all smiles in the saloon, lost at poker as usual but not all that much.  Had a few beers and went upstairs with the lovely Miss Leora.” 

Heyes nodded, it seemed like a normal night of Kyle and the others enjoying the town.  “Ahh, the Miss Leora is lovely indeed.  Wish I could have been with you to experience her boundless charms.”  he smiled inwardly at her memory as her scent of lavender went through his mind.  

“Well, Kyle must have enjoyed his night with her.” 

Curry smiled, “Yeah, but when Kyle came downstairs, he didn’t seem happy.  He was mumbling like he is now.  I’ll check with Wheat to see if he knows anything more.” 

“Better make it quick, Kyle’s about to brush your horse for the third time today.” 

“Wheat?”  called Curry, catching up with the man striding purposefully across the compound. “Can I talk to you for a minute?” 

“What is it, Kid?” 

“Kyle’s been acting mighty peculiar, any idea why?” 

“Noticed it, don’t know why.  Been bothering me too.  Just saw him heading toward the river so I’m following him.  Thought I’d try to talk to him.  Come along if you want.” 

“Kyle, what ya doing out here?  Don’t see a fishing pole?” Wheat asked his friend and partner.   

“Looking for gold like Heyes got.” 

“Heyes found gold out here?” asked Wheat “Like him not to tell the rest of us.” 

Curry studied Kyle, searching under nearby rocks.  “Heyes, ain’t found no gold that I know about."  he said. 

Wheat grimaced, “Heyes didn’t even tell his partner he found gold.” 

Curry put his hands firmly on Kyle’s shoulders and looked in his almost frantic eyes.  “Kyle, why do you think Heyes found gold?” 

“Miss Leora told me.” Kyle answered sincerely. 

“Miss Leora?” 

“Yeah, she’s really nice and smells really purty too.  She told me I was sweet then asked when Heyes was coming into town.  My feelings was kind of hurt so I asked her why she wanted to know when Heyes was coming in.  She said something about the gold standard.”  Kyle looked like he was trying hard to remember something important. “I really like Miss Leora and I think I love her.  Figured if I could find that standard gold like Heyes has, maybe she might be my girl.” 

Curry smiled at Wheat.  Wheat put his arm on Kyle's arm.  “Love is difficult Kyle but come back to the bunkhouse and I'll tell you all about it." 

Heyes smiled until his dimples showed, “Miss Leora said that about me.  The gold standard.“   His arrogance was showing through his smile.  “Well, I guess I am at that.  I do like to monopolize her time when I am there and she doesn’t seem to mind none.” 

“Heyes, you ain’t  whatever that is and we need to help Kyle.” 

“The gold standard is the best, the most prestigious at something, Kid.  But I got a Hannibal Heyes plan to help Kyle.  Next Friday night Kyle, Wheat and me we need to go to Rainbow.” 

Saturday afternoon, Heyes, Kyle and Wheat rode back into Devil’s Hole to find Kid Curry sitting, quietly whittling, on the porch of the leader’s cabin. 

“All quiet here, Kid?”  Heyes asked in a calm voice that Curry knew meant there was something he wanted to tell him. 

“Been quiet here.  Wheat, Kyle, how was town?” 

Kyle broke into a tobacco-stained grin as he dismounted.  “Went real fine, Kid.  Heyes went upstairs with a whole bunch of different girls this time so Miss Leora was free to go with me.  Heyes lost at poker to me, so I had enough money to spend the whole night with Miss Leora and we even had some time to talk too.  She seemed angry at Heyes coz she thought he was hers special, but Heyes let everyone know he don’t have a favorite.” 

Kyle’s grin was reflected in his blue eyes.  “I asked her what about Heyes’ standard gold and she told me real firmly that he ain’t no gold standard no more, I was.  Said Heyes turned out to be just fool’s gold.”  Happily, Kyle took the reins of all three horses and headed to the barn.   

Curry turned to his cousin, with a twinkle in his eyes, “That was a real gold standard thing you did for Kyle, Heyes, I know you liked Miss Leora special.” 

Sitting on the porch next to his cousin, Heyes nodded thinking ‘Oh the things a leader must sacrifice to keep his loyal knights happy.”

GemHenry and Nell McKeon like this post

Back to top Go down

Fool's Gold
Page 1 of 1