1. The Fax
- it was invented in 1843 and patented in 1876, by a Scot (of course it was
) Alexander Bain. He introduced the first commercial transmission between Paris and Lyon in 1865.
2. Contact lenses
- Adolf Flick introduced these in 1888 and were made of blown glass and could only be worn for a few hours - presumably before the pain outweighed the advantages of being able to see.
- date from 1880 in the modern era, but Zhang Heng invented one in China in the year 132.
A picture of it can be found through this link:http://people.chinese.cn/en/article/2009-11/04/content_81237.htm
- Most of us know that they were around in the Victorian era, but did you know that they were invented in 1580 by William Bourne in England?
5. Vending Machines
- Dated from 1880 and sold postcards and books in London. There was also an ancient version which dispensed holy water in temples. The inventor is credited as Hero of Alexander