AuthorMessage
riders57

riders57

Garrulous Empty
PostSubject: Garrulous   Garrulous EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 6:47 am

So starting February a little early, the next word is:

Garrulous

Adjective

1. Excessively talkative in a rambling, roundabout manner, especially about trivial matters
2. Wordy or diffuse:  a garrulous and boring speech

From the Latin garrulus talkative, garrulous, equivalent to garr (ire) to chatter + -ulus ulous
Back to top Go down
Remuda

Remuda

Garrulous Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garrulous   Garrulous EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Just a silly bit of fluff to get things rolling.

Hannibal Heyes grabbed the sack and strolled outside the mercantile.  He watched as his partner, Jed “Kid” Curry, checked the cinch straps of both their horses before unbuckling his saddlebags.  As Heyes stepped off the boardwalk, Curry reached a hand into the sack.

"Can’t wait?”

“Nope.”

“It’s all there.”  Heyes’ tone sounded his annoyance.

“Four boxes.  Good.”  Kid turned to deposit the ammo into the saddlebags.  “We’ll be able to hunt.”

“You mean target practice.”  Heyes rolled his eyes.

Curry looked up.  “Nope, we’ll be able to eat.”  He buckled the bags and mounted.

“We got plenty to eat with us.”  Heyes put the sack in one side of his own bags and hauled himself up into the saddle.  His horse fell in behind Kid’s.

"Hardtack and jerky?  Nothin’ but saddle food,” Curry said over his shoulder.

Heyes pulled a piece of jerky from his pocket.  He shouted ahead to be heard.  “Practicality’s the mother of invention, Thaddeus.  It’ll keep us from going hungry.”  He drew rein.  “Whoa!”

A white-haired, spry older woman appeared seemingly out of nowhere right in front of Heyes’ horse.  “Sir, that’s ‘necessity is the mother of invention.’”  She came alongside and gave him a handbill.

"What’s this?”  In his confusion, Heyes’ voice was louder than he would have liked.

Turning at the commotion, Kid pulled up, hand resting on the butt of his sidearm.

“As it says, sonny.”  She winked before walking away.

Curry rode the few steps to his partner’s side.  “What was that all about?”

“I don’t know.  Think she corrected me.”  Heyes looked her way but did not see the woman.  “That was quick.”

Kid nodded to the bill.  “What’s it say?”

Heyes glanced at it and read out loud.  “Amnesty for those suffering from lack of a silver tongue – Set your garrulous self free!  Miss Birdie Winston.  Tonight, 7 p.m., Grange Hall.  10 cents.”  He frowned.  “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Curry laughed.  “I don’t really have to explain it to you, do I, Joshua?”

Heyes rolled his eyes as they rode out of town.

riders57

Garrulous Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garrulous   Garrulous EmptyMon Feb 15, 2016 9:40 am

Heyes looked at his hand and folded.

Settling back and lighting a cigar, he let his mind wander.

“…ayup, I tell you young’uns, I’ve chased some of the most famous outlaws there are out there.”

Without changing expression or position, Heyes listened to the wizened voice sitting behind him.

“Why I can remember, must have been seven, eight years ago.  It was that hard winter where the river froze up in early November, if I remember right.  Yup those were hard times. … Where was I?  Oh yeah, back seven, eight years ago I rode in a posse after the two most famous outlaws you ever heard of.  Sure gave us quite a chase.  Course we lost them.  Probably for the best, I hear them two are real popular.  Don’t understand that myself.  … Anyways, that gang had robbed a train up by us, and we took off after them, being the closest town and all.  Those two rode us all hard afor they got away.  Of course, they’ve been together forever they say.  Family.  I hear tell they come out of Kansas or Missouri or some such blamed place, hardened by what happened to their family in the border wars, way I hear it.  It makes no never mind to me.  They had huge bounties on their head, and we wanted ‘em.”

Heyes’ attention was recalled by the sounds of the round ending.  Without moving he caught Curry’s eye.  Curry barely acknowledged him, but swept up his winnings, announcing.  “Sorry, boys, my partner and me have a meetin’ the other side of town.  Maybe tonight you can have a chance to get your own back.”

The two strolled quickly to the door of the saloon, keeping their backs turned to the table behind them.

The garrulous old man broke off his tale to watch them head out the door.  “Hmm, sure seemed to be in a hurry those two.   Oh, well it makes no never mind.  I was telling you about the time I chased the James brothers…”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Garrulous Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garrulous   Garrulous Empty

Back to top Go down

Garrulous
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction  :: Writer's Area - Please email Admin to get your own thread for your stories. Use a new thread for each story. Please comment after the story. :: Challenge Stories :: Word Challenge-
Jump to: