Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Just to let you all know...

Go down 
+5
Stepha3nie
Remuda
Caroline McK
HannaHeyes
Admin
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Caroline McK

Caroline McK

Just to let you all know... Empty
PostSubject: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 9:54 pm

I am not going to post my stories in any particular order. I will try to date them at least by the year they were written, but unless there is a significant note as to the exact date written, I don't think that really matters.
Some of these pieces are/were on another site. I am going to share them here and ask you all for your constructive criticism. Please don't say it doesn't work and demand that I change it. Tell me why it doesn't work and be patient as I make the changes. Writing
I don't have a beta, and I'm not really sure if I want one right now. Maybe in the future I will beg for one, but for right now, please let me make my mistakes and learn from them. Rolling Eyes

I am grateful for the chance to share my work here, and want to especially thank MAP for this opportunity. 
I also need to say that my posts will not be uniform in size or anything of the like.
One other note, if my piece has strong language in it I will post a warning. I try very hard to avoid the use of extreme violence or language, but have been known to let a few minor curse words slip. Please let me know ASAP if any of my pieces offend you. That is not and never will be my intention.

These pieces were written for entertainment and exercise only. No profit was gained, nor ever expected. No harm was meant to anyone, especially the studios, actors or others involved in or with the show ASJ.
Back to top Go down
Caroline McK

Caroline McK

PostSubject: Re: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 10:58 am

My work is most definitely up for criticism and I am willing to change what needs to be fixed as long as you can tell me why it doesn't work. I want to refine and grow as a writer, not just say that I tried it once. The best way for me to learn is if you explain what does or doesn't work.  

I don't have any of my work on a disk or drive, so I have to type everthing in as I go. That means typos are going to happen. I try to catch them, but have missed several. If you see any, please let me know asap. I want to fix as much as I can as fast as I can, to make this experience better for all involved (you, the reader and me, the writer). 

I try to write for myself first and anyone else second as I am never sure how many pieces I am going to share or when I might share them. Please don't be offended by that. I have had only limited support or encouragement for a very long time. I enjoy writing and being creative. I don't always believe in myself enough to share my pieces with anyone else. I have been laughed at and put down because of my words in the past. That makes it very hard for me to want to be open and share now.

I also have a terrible tendency to allow local phrases into some of my pieces. I have a hard time with this because these are phrases that I have grown up with and in some cases, best express my thoughts or views on a subject. Please ask if I need to clarify something or tell me if I need to re-write something to make it easier to understand.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm very glad you feel able to share your work here.  Many of us have felt discouraged at times, and that's when it's great to belong to a community to support you.  I know that the people here have been a great support to me, and kept me going.   Group Hug
Back to top Go down
https://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Caroline McK

Caroline McK

PostSubject: Re: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 8:01 pm

Thank You flowerKiss thanksKiss thanks
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... EmptyFri Nov 13, 2015 2:41 pm

I'm glad you're sharing your stories. I understand how you feel too. I always get nervous posting a story. I never feel they are good enough. But this is a great place to put them.
Back to top Go down
Caroline McK

Caroline McK

PostSubject: Re: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... EmptyFri Nov 13, 2015 8:35 pm

Thank you, Hanna.
I have to say that this is the friendliest site and the most understanding, too.
I am so grateful to finally be able to share my words and know that they won't be changed too much.
Thank you for your friendly words and encouragement.
Back to top Go down
Caroline McK

Caroline McK

PostSubject: Re: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... EmptyThu Dec 03, 2015 9:59 pm

I have a question for all of you - fellow writers and our most gracious readers. Would anyone object to my posting a few short Christmas stories? Both were written a few years ago, one is very dated, but the other is not. I am asking because I don't want to offend anyone by sharing my holiday pieces and then have someone get upset because I celebrate Christmas. 

I do realize that many do not celebrate Christmas, many celebrate Hannukah, many celebrate Kwanzaa, and there are other celebrations that I know nothing about. I am only vaguely familiar with Boxing Day, certainly not enough to work it into any of my writings at this time.
Please, please let me know your thoughts on this. 

Should I post or not? I won't be upset if the answer is no. I don't want to hurt anyone or offend anyone and want to know before I do something that would  cause harm or hurt feelings.
Back to top Go down
Remuda

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... EmptyThu Dec 03, 2015 10:18 pm

Caroline, you worry too much.  Post away.  :)
Back to top Go down
Stepha3nie

Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 5:34 am

Caroline, I think it's a gift to us that you choose to share your stories. So, first of all, thank you!
I'm grateful to anyone who does it.

I joined the forum as a reader - and where would I be without people brave enough to let others see their creations?
The gentle coaxing, encouragement and support here has given me the confidence to start writing and I have posted a few of my pieces (I'm still not sure they're 'proper' stories). If you're looking for encouragement, tips, even a little help here and there, you've certainly come to the right place.

I agree with Remuda - you worry too much. As far as I can see, you're doing everything right: if you think the content might not be for everyone, post a warning at the top, so those readers can decide whether they want to continue reading or not.

In (or is it 'to'?) my way of thinking, the same applies to Christmas stories.
And, honestly, what can be offensive about writing a Christmas story? I believe political correctness can go too far. If it's an ASJ story, Christmas would be the most likely celebration, this time of year. (Unless they stumble upon a group of people following other traditions. Hmm. Never thought about that.)

And even if I personally don't think outlaws in the West of that time celebrated Christmas, who am I to forbid other people to have a different opinion?
Isn't that part of what makes fan fiction interesting? The different ideas we develop about the boys, their characters, their past, their future,...

The only things that put me off a story are:
- not being able to recognise the boys in the characters portrayed in the story
- writing so bad that it becomes painful to read (e.g. when it becomes a lottery whether they use there, their and they're or when they use no punctuation whatsoever)
- detailed descriptions of trauma and violence just for the sake of it (but I appreciate that sometimes graphic moments can serve a proper purpose)
- the boys only tagged onto a story to tell the tale of the fantastic female lead character, let's call her Mary Sue, who probably is everything the author would like to be and who distorts everything we know about the boys ;-)  (Unless it's done in an ironic way. Then it can be hilarious!)
Back to top Go down
riders57

riders57

PostSubject: Re: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 10:10 am

As Remuda and Stepha3nie have said feel free to post Christmas stories.  I agree with Stepha3nie on the types of stories I don't like -- but feel free to post those types, too.  Unless a story is specifically insulting to some one or some group (intentionally or through unconscious bigotry) or above the pg-13 rating as far as I can see you are free to post.

Now, if you ask my opinion of a story that I don't like, I'll tell you I don't like it but that doesn't mean you shouldn't post it.

As to Christmas itself -- I'm not religious but I'm certainly not offended by Christmas stories -- and have even used the holiday in stories I've written.  I've also seen at least one story where the boys encountered a Chanukah celebration that was very well written and enjoyable.  Don't worry about offending us -- we're a tough lot.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 10:39 am

Post any story you want. Personally I don't do holidays, but does that mean I avoid stories about Christmas? Absolutely not. All I want is a good story, well-told, with correct punctuation and sentence structure, please!

Someone gave me a good analogy about holidays some years ago. I celebrate other people's birthdays. It doesn't matter that it's not my birthday; I celebrate with them. Hey, any excuse for a party, right?

I look forward to reading your stories.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lunartidemassageandangeltherapy.com
Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 10:58 am

Hi Caroline,

I have heard that some writing sites can be fairly critical and touchy about the stories that are posted. This isn't one of them. We all understand that we all come from every part of the world, with different religions, opinions, and tastes. As long as a story isn't rude or vulgar, I would say post away. I may not like the story, but that doesn't mean someone else won't like it or that it wasn't well written.

I don't particularly enjoy crossovers, or stories with a main character death, or stories that rip my heart out and send me into a fit of crying for the rest of the day. But, so what, others do. I find myself tending to write light and airy, with a little humor, which others may find silly or lacking depth. That's ok, too. The main thing is to stay respectful, and appreciate that it's our differences that make this site interesting. How boring if all our stories were the same!

So Caroline, post away!

Javabee
Back to top Go down
Caroline McK

Caroline McK

PostSubject: Re: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... EmptySun Dec 06, 2015 2:32 pm

Okay... the first story is up. The next one will have to wait a few days. Real life is banging on my door, demanding I spend time on a few major projects. Rolling Eyes 
 I definitely want feedback on the stories. I know that most of you will not like the one I just posted. It is a heart wrencher. But, please read it. The end is not what you expect from thte beginning. Enough of a plot spoiler. 

Thank you all for responding and encouraging me to post my scribbles. I can't begin to explain what it means to me to have understanding and encouragement. I am going to be posting more in the coming year. And I will be including a few longer pieces. 
You have awakened a sleeping dragon, and I have no idea where the future will find me, ony that I will have paper in my ink stained paws and a far away look in my eyes as I try to keep up with the words in my heart and brain.
Back to top Go down
gin16

PostSubject: Re: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... EmptySun May 12, 2019 4:50 pm

I have no complaints about your stories, I wish that you were still writing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just to let you all know...   Just to let you all know... Empty

Back to top Go down

Just to let you all know...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction  :: Writer's Area - Please email Admin to get your own thread for your stories. Use a new thread for each story. Please comment after the story. :: Stories by Caroline McK-
Jump to: