Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Applause and Feedback

Go down 
+25
gin16
SheilaUK
Moonpie
RosieAnnieUSA
Silverkelpie
Stepha3nie
Distant Drums
EvaHanley
Admin
evdokiam
HelenWest
Nancy Whiskey
Cimarron
Bluebelle
Niekx
Stormr
Remuda
Javabee
Keays
riders57
InsideOutlaw
HannaHeyes
Gringa
Tashmina
Hunkeydorey
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

Applause and Feedback - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 1:08 pm

Bluebelle, I agree with Inside Outlaw. I'm always impressed when someone can tell a complete story in few words, and you did it with words that rhyme. That's certainly more than I can do.  applause
Back to top Go down
http://www.lunartidemassageandangeltherapy.com
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Apologies for commenting out of turn.  I've been a bit distracted.

Insideoutlaw -  A very visual piece from you with your superb descriptive powers coming to the fore again.  I loved the knowing way the lawman observed them but judged them as not dangerous men so allowed them to shelter before allowing them to move on again.  Glad was such a character and a brilliant spin on the prompt.

Bluebelle - You almost didn't post this?  Don't ever think that again, please!  This is so clever, a whole story all tied up in a take on a classic poem.  How like Heyes to come up with a double dealing scheme.   clapping 

RosieAnnie - I am so enjoying your new series and the writing is sublime.  You paint a very feasible picture of the Kid as an older man, as playful as a puppy when it suits him, but still manage to catch the essence of the man in this line, "As nice as he is, he’s one tough son of a bitch."  Keep writing as I'm looking forward to more.
Back to top Go down
Hunkeydorey

Hunkeydorey

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 12:08 pm

Keays - Loads of fun in all the comings and goings in this busy jail and how clever of you to get all of Santa's reindeer in on the act too.  I loved them snooping around the jail to find the wanted posters to fit to through the sheriff off the scent.  Great story.

Insideoutlaw -   Another story where they're waiting out bad weather in the jail but this one is much starker and your use of language takes us right there in our mind's eye.  How lucky they found a lawman with a Christmas tradition.  Loved it.

Bluebelle - Not just a rhyming Christmas story but a Hannibal Heyes plan too?  You spoil us, you really do.

Remuda - You are the mistress of dialogue and you get us right alongside that sweet, but annoying, old man.  How lovely that the boy he helped to bring up wanted to look after him.  What goes around comes around, huh?

RosieAnnie -  I have read such glowing comments on your new story, and this snippet had given me a taste for reading the whole thing.  There is just beautiful, serene tone to your work in this one, but the hurt is still there deep underneath.  How clever of you to catch all that in the same piece.
Back to top Go down
Cimarron

Cimarron

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 12:44 pm

Silverkelpie - Lots of different threads all coming together to make up - almost- the Christmas story.  Very clever.  I am glad that Lydia didn't have to marry that horrible, old man.

Nancy Whiskey - What a different story, with an undertaker and a lost dog.  An original take on the prompt with the boys' determination not to use violence really paying off.

Javabee - Christmas at the Hole and Kyle still has to learn that less is more.  Let's hope he never does because he won't be half as much fun.  Great tale with a sweet ending for Wheat.  I do love stories with the whole gang together.

Hunkeydorey - Oh, what a bittersweet story, with poor Lainie finally realising how much she loved her husband.  You caught the fear that it was all in jeopardy so very well.  I, too, wondered about her son.

Keays - Loved the banter, loved the procession of reindeer folk and the snowball fight.  Such fun.  A Christmas party right here in a story!

Insideoutlaw - Poor Heyes, but what an original take on Glad Tydings.  So clever and you write action so very well.  I could almost feel myself taking a tumble with Heyes - and I mean that in the story sense.   Honest I do!

Bluebelle - You almost didn't post because of me?  What were you thinking?  This is so clever.  Telling a whole story too!  Wow.

Remuda - I loved the tale of the babe brought up by a group of rough men, and what a good job they did.  He wanted to look after Pa Oakie!  Ah!  Loved this.

RosieAnnie - This just draws you right in.  The family seems such a natural fit for an older Kid Curry and he is just the type of man you'd think too - so sweet to his own but ready to scare the pants off anyone who might be a threat to them.  Wonderful.
Back to top Go down
Bluebelle

Bluebelle

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 1:00 pm

Remuda - Poor Pa Oakie.  This was written so well it made me wonder who inspired the character.  The boys were so patient, weren't they?  I wonder how long it took them to get paid?  

RosieAnnie - Lovely writing.  It seems to just draw the reader into a 'mood cloud' when they start the story.  Sorry I'm not being very eloquent, but you really set the tone here, all based upon the character of Kid Curry and how he'd be with his family.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 5:05 pm

Silverkelpie - Yay! Another new story from you! And what a great story! Baby in a stable, three Kings, two ex-outlaws, everything you need for a holiday tale. Vervia seems to be quite the character. Loved these lines:

"The Kid frowned. “Maybe we can find something for now. There’s cow over there. Is there any animal a baby shouldn’t have milk from?”

“Yeah, mountain lion; straight from the teat.” Heyes gave a wry smile."

Excellent!

Cimarron - Love when someone can fit a story into a song's lyrics. Very well done! Hope to see more from you...and yes, I had this song in my head for quite a while ;)

Nancy Whiskey - I thought maybe the undertaker knew something the boys didn't as he followed them around. I'd say that was very unnerving. Liked their method of finally confronting him. And it turns out, he does them a favor for saving his daughter and her beloved dog. Wonderful!

Javabee - I loved this version of an outlaw Christmas. You show a side of Wheat that remains hidden for the most part, deep down, he's a decent man too. Glad that he too ended up with a gift, a hatband to rival Heyes'. Good job!

Hunkeydorey - A nice, bittersweet tale of a lost love in a time gone by. You can just feel Aelene's anxiousness and a little repressed anger at having lost Kid. Loved the way Kid got rid of the gossip lady. Nice that finally, they both could find some closure over the parting.

Keays - I could picture this scene perfectly! The dialogue was great and nice way to incorporate the reindeer names. Of course Kid would be thinking about Christmas dinner, and glad that he ended up getting one. Loved how they changed the posters that were on the board! I would've done that instead of going out in that weather too!

InsideOutlaw - Another Christmas spent in jail, but this one was due to the kindness of the marshal. Nice to see a decent lawman once in a while. Poor Heyes, he seems to always be the one injured. Loved Gladys! What a character. Wouldn't mind seeing more of her. Sometimes, kindness is the best gift a person could get.

Bluebelle - Always love a rewritten version of the Night Before Christmas! This one was great! When will people learn not to be blaming things on our boys? ;) Good job!

Remuda - I do believe ol' Oakie would try anyone's patience. I could just see the boys trying to get through to him. Having dealt with someone similar to that in my work, I could really sympathize with them!

RosieAnnie - I'm loving this ongoing story of an aging Kid. Sad though that he still has to hide his past from his own daughter. Still wondering what happened between the partners and if Christine will ever find out who her father really is. Loved Patrick's lines about Kid scaring him to death and believing he's capable of violence. Eagerly looking forward to more!
Back to top Go down
Keays

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 10:22 pm

SILVERKELPIE: Yes, the Christmas babe--and a 'real' Joshua at that.  Love your use of the names and that, along with your other suggestion is what inspired my challenge story. Loved all you character development in such a short story.  Lydia was quite the young lady, coming across as a poor victim but ending up having a bit of a shady side herself.  Still getting stuck with a low-life for a husband who had lied about his 'attributes' would have been a fate worse than death!  Lovely that she found some sympathetic people to come to her rescue.  And to the babe's rescue as well!

CIMARRON: I envy those of you who can take a tune and make it into a full length story.  I know I already commented on this skit earlier in the month, but it's worth mentioning again.  It was such fun and very visual.

NANCYWHISKEY: Oh no!  No fun being followed around by an undertaker.  Brucie almost put himself and his young owner in the need of an undertaker but fortunately our boys were on the scene to save the day.  Another close call but doing a good turn can sometimes be rewarded and the boys survive another day.

JAVABEE: Yes, Kyle always has to do things on the excessive side doesn't he?  At least his heart is in the right place.  Everyone seemed willing to kick in and help out with the holiday festivities and then gifts under the tree to boot!  And Wheat got a gift himself after all.  Maybe Heyes ain't such a bad leader after all.

HUNKEYDOREY: Oh dear.  A long lost love showing up to threaten the present relationship--and how is this Heyes' fault?  Still, in the end it was a good thing as Aelene was finally able to let go of her hurt and anger and find peace with the past.  A true Christmas gift.

INSIDEOUTLAW: As usual your knowledge of the names and histories of the people and places put the rest of us to shame.  I like how you changed the usual 'Christmas at the Hole' from being fun and festive to actually being a painful event that only served to remind them all of how low they had fallen.  A very realistic view as to how the holidays can effect people who are lonely and far from home.  Then poor Heyes; a horse falling on him and then the weather turning against them as well.  Not too nice.  Loved your play on names as well; this seems to be a theme for this month!  Loved Gladys Tydings!  She's seen more has she?  Poor Heyes again.  Let's not forget that it was very cold out.

BLUEBELLE: Another full length story set to poem.  These are such fun--probably because I know I'd be useless at doing them.  Even though it is all in rhyme you can see the whole scene come alive. It's just like an episode where the boys have been framed for a crime they didn't do.  Although personally, I don't think I would mind Heyes and Curry showing up in my bedroom in the middle of the night! HO HO HO!

REMUDA: This was very true to life.  Like many of us I have an aging parent who is suffering from dementia and this story really runs true to form.  The conversation going in circles and forgetting what was said almost as soon as the words are spoken.  The boys were very patient and understanding and they did bring the old fellow good news.  A nice Christmas story with a truly happy ending.

ROSIEANNIEUSA: Love this continuation of your story.  Jed seems quite happy with his lot but sad that he could never tell even his own family who he really is.  Loved how Patrick knew that there was more to the 'kindly' old man than what was apparent.  Still an edge to him huh?  I bet!  Looking forward to your next installment.
Back to top Go down
Nancy Whiskey

Nancy Whiskey

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Sorry all for not feeding back sooner - December was manic and I am just getting round to reading through everyones stories.

SK - Frankie and Myrtle!  Great Christmas twist on an abandoned baby story.  Loved it.

Cimarron - Really clever, well done on a brilliant first story/song/poem.  I will never sing Good King Wensleslass again without this coming to mind.

Javabee - Great to see the gang enjoying Christmas and I can just picture the tree.  A nice all round story.

Hunkydorey - Sweet, but sad.  I am glad they were able to move on.

Keyes - Loved this story and the locking/unlocking plot.  I would have hidden the wanted posters too!

InsideOutlaw -  I loved Gladys ~ really good character and very well written.  You really brought her to life.

Bluebelle - What can I say? Imaginative as ever and beautifully seasonal.

Remuda - Lovely and just the right amount of sentimentality.  A good read.

RosieAnnie - I enjoyed the family history angle.  I never saw them as old men before, but a great approach.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 6:31 am

Silverkelpie:  This was an interesting and fun story.  Lucky for the boys, the sheriff was a reasonable man.  I have to admit I hated the idea that Mabel was being made into a new pair of boots.  I prefer to believe she's living a normal life under an alias.
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 12:29 pm

Insideoutlaw - as if I would do that to poor Mabel!?   affraid  She's from Queen Victoria's prize winning herd (or fold as Highland cows are called collectively) and she's far too valuable to turn into boot leather.  I'm sure she and Angus went on to produce many hairy babies.
Back to top Go down
Keays

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Silverkelpie;  Got quite a kick out of this one.  Love the sheriff not wanting to know more than was necessary about the breeding practices of cattle.  He is a married man after all!

And 'yes' cow poop is very stinky.  Loved your description of the bodily function.

Yes, far to valuable to wind up at the tannery.  I see a range war in the making.
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 6:56 am

Keays - this was loads of fun and fitted in a whole lot in a short story, with an exciting chase, jail break and a Hannibal Heyes safe-cracking.  I loved the catch 22 with Heyes being locked in the cell and everything he needed to get out of the cell was in the safe.  It's a good job the Kid was there to watch his back, as always!  cowboy 1
Back to top Go down
Cimarron

Cimarron

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 8:48 am

Silverkelpie - I loved the opening to this.  It was like a classic 1970's line and I really thought Heyes was talking to a woman.  Of course Mabel would be Taurus!  Loads of fun and although I never really thought about it but I was surprised to find out that artificial insemination was so old.  Lots of great lines and a lot of fun.  Let's hope Mabel came out of it okay.   looking cow 

Keays - This was also a whole lot of fun and you showed perfectly why the Kid was so necessary to Heyes.  The chase was vividly written and was very easy for me to see in my mind as I read.   cowboy 11   I do love it when one of them pulls out a gun and surprises someone and I could almost see the Kid's eyes fixed on the lawman.  Great story.
Back to top Go down
Keays

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 9:51 am

Cimarron;  Great action story, and told from the horse's point of view.  Well you know I'm going to like that one!  Like your line about humans being so unpredictable; isn't that what we always say bout horses?  Of course they would see us that way too--very strange creatures.

Of course I thought at first that Heyes was being chased by a posse, but you turned it into a very exciting horse race with our hero naturally winning the  prize.

I'm thinking Blue was more concerned about holding onto his 'mares' than he was about getting an apple.  But apples are nice too.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 10:25 am

Cimarron: Wow, you captured the drama and action of a horse race really well.  No horse is successful at any sport unless he (or she) throws his heart into it. Blue certainly did and I like how you based his will on his instinct to sire.  What a well done tale!
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 1:39 pm

OK, catching up on comments before the end of the month whirlwind, and I am blown away by your talent and creativity.

Silverkelpie: I love the picture of Heyes talking to Mabel and comparing her looks to Kyle, and the snappy dialogue between Heyes and Curry. . . The cow's from the Queen's prize-winning herd? It's all about who you know. . .  And "sometimes I think our fate will be sealed in a cloud of perfume and petticoats." You really can turn a phrase beautifully.

Keays: The first impression I got from your story was, these poor guys can't relax their guard for even five minutes. They separated for Kid to run a brief errand, and Heyes' attention wasn't on his surroundings. That led to a near-disaster. Lucky for them the sheriff wasn't as smart as the marshal. I absolutely love Heyes' smart-alecky last line.

Cimarron: Sounds like you know horses, too. You had me fooled. I thought a posse was involved. What a relief, and a little fun joke on us readers, to find out what it really was.
Back to top Go down
Hunkeydorey

Hunkeydorey

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 2:12 pm

Silverkelpie - Yes, of course Mabel is Taurus the bull.  What else could she be?  I do hope that she came out of this story in one piece and not as a whole set of hairy boots.  Even though she was just in the background I became rather fond of her.  Great bantering.

Keays - They can't let their guard down for a moment, can they?  Not even doing a little bit of shopping.  This one really shows the strength of each partner and especially the Kid's role in looking out for Heyes, freeing him up to do the deep thinking.  This one shows exactly what happens when the blond one isn't around.  Great story and you certainly packed a whole lot in.

Cimarron - I'm guessing that you are a new member with lots of horse knowledge because this was just packed with the way they think (not that I know much about them!)  It was so fitting; the race to show dominance over the rival male, right to the triumphant little glance at the end.  Loved the way it turned from what looked like an escape to a race
Back to top Go down
Keays

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Hunkeydorey;  Youch!  I guess that is one form of hell isn't it.  Goes to show you just never know who you're going to run into in a small town (?).
Back to top Go down
Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 10:17 pm

SK: You always come up with an interesting spin to your tales, and this one is no exception. I have never heard this expression before: "Do I look like my head buttons up the back?". With colorful descriptors like that, and a twist and turn to every plot, I never get tired of reading your stories.

Keays:   You have mastered the art of writing a smart-aleck Heyes, which in my opinion makes the story. Love it when he frowns in disappointment at the lack of challenge the safe provides, while the Sheriff thinks its because he is stumped. This is my favorite kind of story, featuring action, rescue, banter, and humor. What a great ending line:  "Thanks for dinner."

Cimmaron:  I enjoyed how you really got inside the head of this horse, experiencing everything from his point of view. You had me fooled, thinking the Kid was right on Heyes tail during a posse chase of some kind. The last line made for a very satisfying ending.

Hunkeydorey:  This story started out with what seemed like just another day for the boys, finishing up yet another job and trying to find someplace to get a hot meal. But, WOW, it quickly turned into an intense confrontation with one of the killers of their family. Kid chose well; the man was already in Hell, best leave him there.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 7:11 am

Hunkeydorey: Wow, you really grabbed me with this. You took it from a casual day to retribution and hate, without missing a note. I admire how you used the prompt, too - very creative. BTW, did you know that there is a town called Hell in Michigan? It got a lot of press lately, because Hell froze over in the recent blast of arctic weather.
Back to top Go down
Hunkeydorey

Hunkeydorey

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 7:37 am

Hi, RosieAnnie.  First of all, thanks for your very kind comments.  Yes, I must admit that the news stories about Hell freezing over helped me come up with this story.  I was being a bit stumped by it, so got creative after I found out there was a place of that name.  I wanted to avoid a chase as I thought they'd all be about that, but so far, that's not the case.  I do love all the different spins people can put on the same prompt and looking forward to the rest.
Back to top Go down
Moonpie
Admin
Moonpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 11:43 am

Silverkelpie - A cow?  This is a very funny and original take on the prompt.  I did enjoy the historical notes at the end.  So all this could have happened?  Great banter

Keays - A very exciting chase and then we get to see Heyes crack a safe too?  You spoil us!  What would Heyes do without the Kid too.  You really bring that message home to both the reader and Heyes.

Cimarron -  You have really taken us inside the mind of the horse, haven't you?  It made perfect sense that he was competing with that uppity rival.  Loved the last line

Hunkeydorey - Oh this started out so easy and pleasant and you suddenly took us right to angst without any warning.  I really enjoyed the change of pace but it all fit perfectly.  You had me wondering what the Kid was going to do, so I bet that man would never sleep again.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Moonpie: I'm glad to see you joined the ranks of the writers again, especially because your story was charming and entertaining. The dialogue is clever, too. I love that it all turned out to be a Hannibal Heyes plan to get close to the ladies. And BTW, King Charles Spaniels, even the little ones, are darlings.

Nancy Whiskey: Short, but complete. That's particularly impressive to me right now, because my contribution to this month's challenge is way long. Yours is a clever use of the prompt, too.
Back to top Go down
Moonpie
Admin
Moonpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 1:34 pm

RosieAnnie - This was absolutely marvellous!  I could so see them going this way if the amnesty took too long to come through.  This really caught the boys' little nuances as well as the relationship between them.  Full of great lines too - "The way things are, we got no more control over our own lives than a tumbleweed does blowing around Yuma. We’re nothing. We’re dirt. Sometimes I feel like just giving up, you know?”    clapping
Back to top Go down
Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 9:01 pm

Moonpie: Five years? Please don't make us wait that long again. Of course Heyes had ulterior motives for walking the dog, and Kid knew it from the get go. Having a pup hellbent on chewing some shoe leather is a clever use of the prompt. Thanks, Moonpie!

Nancy Whiskey: Lots of action in this short story that was hellbent on covering a lot of ground in a short ride. Like Rosie said, it was complete, and yet I certainly wanted to hear more. Very nice.

RosieAnnie: Rosie, a longer story is always a delight to read when it is as well written as yours. The longer the better, I might add, because I usually don't want it to end. I think it is interesting you have chosen Louise to be their new partner in crime, as I always thought that character had potential for more. I think the idea of the boys eventually getting fed up and going back to the con circuit is very realistic, especially if they are brought as low as they were in your story. This would be an interesting jumping off point for some fun and intriguing stories, as they get  back to the top of their game.

Gringa:  I don't know how you did it but you managed to cover it all in the lyrics to one short song. From cracking a safe, to a hellbent ride, to the angst of Heyes worrying over Kid's fast draw, to considering a change of ways through amnesty. Very well done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Applause and Feedback
Page 7 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next