In keeping with the time line of events, here is a timeline of inventions. Neither list is exhaustive, but just intended as a guide,
•Frenchmen, J.M. Jacquard invents the Jacquard Loom.
•Count Alessandro Volta invents the battery.
•Freidrich Winzer (Winsor) was the first person to patent gas lighting.
•Richard Trevithick, an English mining engineer, developed the first steam-powered locomotive. Unfortunately, the machine was too heavy and broke the very rails it was traveling on.
•Humphry Davy invents the first electric light - the first arc lamp.
•German, Frederick Koenig invents an improved printing press.
• Peter Durand invents the tin can.
•George Stephenson designs the first steam locomotive.
• The first plastic surgery is performed in England.
• German, Joseph von Fraunhofer invents the spectrocope for the chemical analysis of glowing objects.
• Joseph Nicéphore Niépce was the first person to take a photograph. He took the picture by setting up a machine called the camera obscura in the window of his home in France. It took eight hours for the camera to take the picture.
•Humphry Davy invents the miner's lamp.
•Samuel Fahnestock patents a soda fountain.
• René Laënnec invents the stethoscope.
•Mackintosh (raincoat) invented by Charles Mackintosh of Scotland.
•Michael Faraday invents the first toy balloon.
• Englishmen, Joseph Aspdin patents Portland cement.
•William Sturgeon invented the electromagnet.
•John Walker invents modern matches.
•Charles Wheatstone was the first person to coin the phrase microphone.
•American, W.A. Burt invents a typewriter.
• Frenchmen, Louis Braille invents braille printing for the blind. William Austin Burt patents a typographer, a predecessor to the typewriter.
•Frenchmen, Barthelemy Thimonnier invents a sewing machine.
•American, Cyrus McCormick invents the first commercially successful reaper.
•Michael Faraday invents a electric dynamo.
•The first patented stereoscope was invented by Charles Wheatstone in 1832 and patented in 1838.
•Englishmen, Henry Talbot invents calotype photography.
• Solymon Merrick patents the wrench.
• Englishmen, Francis Pettit Smith invents the propeller.
•Charles Babbage invents a mechanical calculator.
•Francis Pettit Smith and John Ericcson co-invent the propellor.
•Samuel Colt invented the first revolver.
•Samuel Morse invents the telegraph.
• English schoolmaster, Rowland Hill invents the postage stamp.
•Samual Morse invents Morse Code.
•American, Thaddeus Fairbanks invents platform scales.
• American, Charles Goodyear invents rubber vulcanization.
• Frenchmen, Louis Daguerre and J.N. Niepce co-invent Daguerreotype photography.
• Kirkpatrick Macmillan invents a bicycle.
• Welshmen, Sir William Robert Grove conceives of the first hydrogen fuel cell.
•Englishmen, John Herschel invents the blueprint.
•Samuel Slocum patents the stapler.
•Joseph Dart builds the first grain elevator.
•Alexander Bain of Scotland, invents the facsimile.
•Englishmen, John Mercer invents mercerized cotton.
•American, Elias Howe invents a sewing machine.
• Robert William Thomson patents the first vulcanised rubber pneumatic tire.
•Dr. William Morton, a Massachusetts dentist, is the first to use anesthesia for tooth extraction.
•Hungarian, Ignaz Semmelweis invents antisceptics.
•Waldo Hanchett patents the dental chair.
•Walter Hunt invents the safety pin.
•Joel Houghton was granted the first patent for a dishwasher.
•Isaac Singer invents a sewing machine.
•Jean Bernard Léon Foucault invents gyroscope.
• Henri Giffard builds an airship powered by the first aircraft engine - an unsuccessful design.
•George Cayley invents a manned glider.
•John Tyndall demonstrates the principles of fiber optics.
•Isaac Singer patents the sewing machine motor.
• Georges Audemars invents rayon.
•Louis Pasteur invents pasteurisation.
•George Pullman invents the Pullman Sleeping Car for train travel.
•Hamilton Smith patents the rotary washing machine.
•Jean Lenoir invents an internal combustion engine.
•Elisha Otis patents elevator safety brakes, creating a safer elevator.
• Pierre Michaux invents a bicycle.
• Linus Yale invents the Yale lock or cylinder lock.
•Richard Gatling patents the machine gun.
• Alexander Parkes invents the first man-made plastic.
•Alfred Nobel invents dynamite.
• J. Osterhoudt patents the tin can with a key opener.
• Englishmen Robert Whitehead invents a torpedo.
•Christopher Scholes invents the first practical and modern typewriter.
•George Westinghouse invents air brakes.
• Robert Mushet invents tungsten steel.
• J P Knight invents traffic lights.
•J.S. Risdon patents the metal windmill.
• A.M. Ward issues the first mail-order catalog.
•Joseph Glidden invents barbed wire.
•American, C. Goodyear, Jr. invents the shoe welt stitcher.
•Alexander Graham Bell patents the telephone.
•Nicolaus August Otto invents the first practical four-stroke internal combustion engine.
• Melville Bissell patents the carpet sweeper.
•Thomas Edison invents the ylinder phonograph or tin foil phonograph.
•Eadweard Muybridge invents the first moving pictures.
•Sir Joseph Wilson Swan was the first person to invent a practical and longer-lasting electic lightbulb.
•The British Perforated Paper Company invents a form of toilet paper.
• Englishmen, John Milne invents the modern seismograph.
•Alexander Graham Bell invents the first crude metal detector.
• David Houston patents the roll film for cameras.
• Edward Leveaux patents the automatic player piano.
•George Eastman patents paper-strip photographic film.
• Frenchmen, H. de Chardonnet invents rayon.
•Lewis Edson Waterman invents the first practical fountain pen.
•James Ritty invents the first working, mechanical cash register.
• Charles Parson patents the steam turbine.
•Harim Maxim invents the machine gun.
•Karl Benz invents the first practical automobile to be powered by an internal-combustion engine.
•Gottlieb Daimler invents the first gas-engined motorcycle.
•Josephine Cochrane invents the dishwasher.
•Gottlieb Daimler builds the world's first four-wheeled motor vehicle.
•John Pemberton invents Coca Cola.
•German, Heinrich Hertz invents radar.
• Rowell Hodge patents barbed wire.
•Emile Berliner invents the gramophone.
• F.E. Muller and Adolph Fick invent the first wearable contact lenses.
•Marvin Stone patents the spiral winding process to manufacture the first paper drinking straws.
•John Boyd Dunlop patents a commercially successful pneumatic tire.
•Nikola Tesla invents the AC motor and transformer.
•Joshua Pusey invents the matchbook.
•Sir James Dewar and Sir Frederick Abel co-invent Cordite - a type of smokeless gunpowder.
•Jesse W. Reno invents the escalator.
•Rudolf Diesel invents the diesel-fueled internal combustion engine.
•Sir James Dewar invents the Dewar flask or vacuum flask.
•American, W.L. Judson invents the zipper.
•Edward Goodrich Acheson invents carborundum.
•Lumiere Brothers invent a portable motion-picture camera, film processing unit and projector called the Cinematographe. Lumiere Brothers using their Cinematographe are the first to present a projected motion picture to an audience of more that one person.
•American, H. O'Sullivan invents the rubber heel.
•Edwin Prescott patents the roller coaster.
•Rudolf Diesel receives patent #608,845 for an "internal combustion engine" the Diesel engine.
•I.R. Johnson patents the bicycle frame.
•John Thurman patents the motor-driven vacuum cleaner.http://inventors.about.com/od/timelines/a/Nineteenth_3.htm