Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Settling Wheat – Part Seventeen – (Anne and Rose)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MoulinP

MoulinP

Settling Wheat – Part Seventeen – (Anne and Rose) Empty
PostSubject: Settling Wheat – Part Seventeen – (Anne and Rose)   Settling Wheat – Part Seventeen – (Anne and Rose) EmptyWed Jan 31, 2018 7:40 am

Linnaeus Godfrey didn’t know what to do. His source from Helena on Bloodstone had just told him something important. He knew Jed Curry would want to know about this urgently but he had no way of getting in touch with him. He sighed loudly and rubbed his hands over his eyes. He felt a hand on his shoulder from behind him and he looked round.

Anne Godfrey smiled at him. “I’ve thought of a way to contact Jed,” she said. Her smile broadened as Linnaeus started up from the shop counter he was leaning on.

“How? He was staying here in Cheyenne when we met but he’s not here now.”

“I know,” agreed Anne. “But I pay attention to parts of a conversation that you don’t consider important. You know this. That’s why we make such a good team.”

“I do. What did you hear?”

Linnaeus moved along the counter so Anne could move next to him. They leant arms on the counter, side by side.

“Remember the café we met him in when we gave him the information about Bloodstone?”

Linnaeus nodded and she continued. “The waitress who served us? Rose?”

“Ye-ah?” Linnaeus knew that Anne was enjoying her moment of triumph and was dragging it out.

“Jed mentioned that she and a friend of his were … .” She smiled and rolled her eyes, knowingly. “You know … seeing each other.”

Linnaeus frowned. “Anne he was laughing and it was one little comment.” He paused. “How does that help us?”

Anne shuddered in despair at men. “Then she will probably know where Jed’s friend is and by association where Jed is.”

It was a moment before Linnaeus caught up with Anne’s line of thought.

“It’s a long shot I know but isn’t it worth a try?”

Linnaeus slowly smiled. “Yes.” He gave her a squeeze and kissed the top of her head. “I knew there was a reason why I married you.”

“Our eldest was on his way,” Anne muttered.

“I’ll go now.” Linnaeus said, starting to undo his apron.

“NO!” Anne patted his chest. “I’ll go.” Then when she saw the question on his face. “You’re too … .”

“What?”

“Well she doesn’t know you and I know you Linnaeus Godfrey you’ll go blustering in there and demanding she tells you where Jed’s friend is … .”

“I will not!” Linnaeus denied vehemently.

Anne patted his chest again. “Just leave it to me. This calls for finesse and feminine wiles.”

ASJASJASJASJ

Rose didn’t appear to be in sight, as Anne Godffrey entered the café. She sat and ordered a pot of tea. She asked the waitress for Rose.

“Is Rose working today?”

“Yes ma’am. It’s her day for kitchen duty.” In reality, it had been Rose’s day for kitchen duty for the last three days.

“Oh I see. Might I have a word with her, please? It’s very important. I won’t keep her long. I promise.”

“I’ll see ma’am,” Sylvie the waitress said, doubtfully.

Rose was her friend. It was on her recommendation that Rose had this job at all and she was still on probation. Unfortunately, Rose hadn’t made a good impression as a waitress. She had made one too many mistakes and Cook had ordered that she remain in the back to learn her lesson. Someone asking to see her during business hours wouldn’t endear her to an already doubtful Cook. Rose didn’t need any more black marks against her if she wanted to keep her job.

Rose appeared a few minutes later, looking hot and flustered. Her hair was in disarray and she pushed it back in annoyance. She rattled the tea tray as she walked. As Rose set it down on the table, both women made a grab for the milk jug, threatening to topple over. Anne noticed Rose’s hands were red and wrinkly. Hmm, washing up duty it would appear.

“Sylvie says you wish to see me ma’am.” Rose stood, hands clasped together in front of her, clearly agitated at not being up to the mark YET AGAIN. Why couldn’t she get the hang of this, she thought.

“Hallo Rose yes I want to ask you something. Won’t you sit down?” Anne indicated the opposite seat.

Rose glanced at it longingly. She had been on her feet since seven o’clock and it was now mid-morning. She sighed.

“No ma’am. Cook says I can only have five minutes. I’m not supposed to stop except for the necessary and designated breaks,” she said, keeping her eyes in front. She sounded like she was quoting for a rulebook.

“I won’t keep you long.” Anne gestured to the seat again. “Please.”

Rose gave in and sank gratefully onto the chair. It felt good to take the weight off her feet.

“My name is Anne Godffrey and I do believe we have a mutual friend in Jedidiah Curry.”

Rose frowned. “No ma’am I don’t think so.” She’d heard the name but she didn’t know him.

Anne paused. “Well perhaps that’s an exaggeration. I believe YOU know someone who in turn knows Jedidiah Curry.”

Rose frowned harder. Didn’t Paul Cowdry work for a Jedidiah Curry? Why was this lady asking? “I … may do ma’am,” she said, cautiously. “Can I ask why you’re asking?”

Anne nodded. Perfectly reasonable question. “I’m a friend of Jedidiah’s and I need to get a message to him urgently. My husband and I met him in here a few days ago. You served us.
Do you remember?”

Rose had thought the lady looked vaguely familiar. Now that she mentioned it, she did remember Paul’s employer here with a man and women. She remembered thinking at the time, where was Paul?

Rose nodded hesitantly, still unsure.

Anne smiled. “I know Jed left Cheyenne but he didn’t tell me where he was going. I’ve a feeling it’s somewhere in the vicinity. I presume your friend went with him and I thought you might know where.”

“I see.” Rose hesitated. She’d had it drummed into her since childhood that she should be discrete and not give out too much information to strangers. “I’m sorry I can’t do that. I don’t know Mr Curry but my friend tells me that he’s a private man. I would be betraying my friend’s trust if I tell you where to find him. I’ve no wish to do that. I value his friendship.” And would like to further it, she said to herself.

Anne nodded but looked disappointed and understanding at the same time. “Yes of course. Very well, if you can’t tell me where he is, are you able to get a message to him, via your friend? This really is very important, Rose. Otherwise I wouldn’t be asking.”

The tip of Rose’s tongue appeared and rolled round her top lip as she considered. She swallowed hard. After their shaky start, she was surprised when Paul Cowdry had met her after work. She soon warmed to the charming, polite and very apologetic Englishman. They had spent a pleasant evening together which culminated in a kiss that had taken her breath away. That had only confirmed to her that she wanted to see him again. She had beamed inwardly when Paul had suggested that there would definitely be a repeat of their pleasant evening.

Rose dropped her eyes to the table. “Paul said that he would contact me but he didn’t say when that might be,” she said, quietly. “Mr Curry was going out of town and Paul was going with him of course. He didn’t know when he would be back.”

Anne nodded. She hadn’t missed the anxiousness in Rose’s voice at not knowing when she might see Paul again. This young woman knew where Jed was and while her loyalty was admirable, any delay could be disastrous. Anne took a deep breath. She didn’t want to do this but she couldn’t see she had any choice.

“My message is very important, Rose. Mr Curry AND Paul are in danger.”

Rose looked up sharply. “Danger?”

“Yes and I need to warn them urgently.”

“Oh!”

Before Rose could say anything, she heard her name called. Looking up, she saw Cook standing in the doorway to the kitchen. She nodded her head inside. Rose was torn. She had to get back to her own duties but wanted to help.

“Rose! Now!”

Rose got up in a daze. “I’m sorry ma’am. I have to go now.” She hurried away flinching from the Cook’s glare as she ducked passed her.

Anne sighed and finished her drink quickly. Leaving money on the table to cover the tea, she too left. Perhaps she would try again later, when Rose had finished in the café. The young woman would have had a chance to think about it more by then and perhaps be more willing to help.

In the kitchen, Rose returned to the sink and the endless dishes. As she sank her hands into the hot, soapy water again, she thought about what Anne had said. Paul was in danger! But why? How? He was a valet that’s all. To a wealthy gentleman from Boston, by the name of Jedidiah Curry. How dangerous could that be? Yet Anne was most insistent that Paul and his employer were in imminent danger unless she could get a message through. She had looked very worried as she said it.

Rose knew that she could help. Paul had told her where Mr Curry and he were staying. If something bad happened to Paul because she hadn’t help. He might even be killed! “No, no, no,” she moaned, horrified at the thought. She quickly removed her hands and dried them. Her mind was made up. She knew what she had to do.

“Rose what do ya think you’re doing girl?” Cook demanded. “Those dishes won’t wash themselves!”

Rose walked away from the sink, untying her apron as she went.

“Rose!”

Rose snatched up her hat and coat. “Screw the dishes! I quit!”

She slapped her hat determinedly on her head. With a flourish, she threw on her coat, snatched up her purse and leaving an astonished kitchen behind her, marched out the door.
Out in the café, she roughly stabbed pins in her hat, noting that Anne had gone. Behind her, she heard unladylike expletives from the Cook and giving a smirk of satisfaction, Rose left.

Outside in the street, she looked up and down. Anne couldn’t have gone far. Yes there, she spotted her and took off after her, skirts hitched nearly to her knees.

“Ms Godffrey,” she called as she ran. “Wait!”

Anne heard her name, stopped and looked back. She smiled as the younger woman careered around fellow pedestrians. Rose came to a halt, breathing heavily, hat askew and coat flapping.

“They’re in Porterville,” she gasped. “Staying with an old friend of Mr Curry’s. I don’t know anymore.” She caught her breath. “Well that’s not true. Paul told me the name of the house but I can’t remember it. Funny name. Am … something.”

Anne smiled. “Thank you Rose. That’s helped tremendously. I’ll go to Porterville. I’m sure I can find him. It’s not that big a place.” She paused and looked back. “You’d better get back now.”

Rose glanced back. She could just make out Cook standing at the door of the café looking for her. There was nothing there for her now. There never really was. Working in the café was only temporary. She had recently qualified, with distinction, from Cheyenne Secretarial College and she was now in the market for a job where she could put her skills to good use.

To Anne’s surprise, Rose took her elbow and steered her on. “Let me come with you. I’m sure I can think of the name of the house given time. Like the length of the train ride to Porterville, for instance?”

“Okay, that would help some more.” Anne knew that Porterville was a dispersed town. A small nucleus, with ranches, homesteads and large houses radiating out over a wide area. Without the name of the house, Jed would be harder to find. “Have you ever been there?”

“No ma’am. Never had any call to go outside of Cheyenne city limits before,” Rose admitted.

“Then I think you’re going on an adventure, Rose. Please call me Anne as we’re going to be travelling together.”

Rose had never been on a train before and everything was new and interesting. As the train rattled out of Cheyenne, she gulped hard. She was leaving her home for the first time and so suddenly. Anne noticed her anxiety. She leaned forward and patted her hand. Rose smiled bravely and nodded. Once settled, both women turned their attention to the name of the house they were looking to find. For Rose she wanted to find out more about the woman she had trusted so suddenly.

“Anne,” she started, feeling strange using the first name of a woman she barely knew. “You said that you were friends with Mr Curry. As he’s staying with an old friend of his do you have any idea who that might be?”

Anne considered. She had her suspicions. Jed HAD said he had seen Heyes while he was here in Wyoming. That must mean that Heyes was close and Porterville was as good a place as any. Anne also knew that if that was the case then Heyes was living under an assumed name. Unfortunately she had no idea what that assumed name could be.

So, Anne shook her head. Rose obviously didn’t recognise the name Jedidiah Curry as the full name of Kid Curry. It was too complicated, unnecessary and not her business to try to explain. If it came out later, so be it.

“No Jed has a number of friends in Wyoming as I recall. It could be any one of them. It’s been a while since Linnaeus and I have seen Jed. Not since, he’s been in Boston anyway. It might even be someone we don’t know. We’re not up to date with his life,” she laughed.

Rose smiled. “I wish I could remember the name of the house. It definitely began with Am I’m sure of it.” She frowned. “And I think it ended with a y. Am something y.”

“Amity?”

Rose shook her head. “No.”

“Amberley?”

Another shake of her head.

“It was a word I’ve not heard before and I asked Paul what it meant.” Rose looked thoughtfully. “That was puzzling as well. I think he said it meant Absolution.” She shook her head, sighed and looked out of the window.

Anne gave it some thought combining it with her other knowledge. Absolution set her off down the wrong path at first, thinking of something with religious connotations. She thought that was unlikely to lead her where she wanted to go but found herself not entirely dismissing it. Something was lurking in the back of her mind.

“Oh, look at that bird’s nest, Anne. It’s huge!”

Anne followed where Rose was pointing at a heron’s nest, high up in a tree.

“Oh yes,” Anne agreed with a smile. “Oh, it’s more than one pair. It’s a Wood Heron colony.

They make huge collective nests.” Then something occurred to her. Nest?

Then it came to her. “Amnesty!” She looked at Rose wide eyed. “Rose, is that it?”

Rose was equally as wide eyed. Slowly she broke into a delighted laughed. “Yes, that’s it. The name of the house is Amnesty!”

Both women giggled and clasped hands.

“Amnesty, of course it is.” Inwardly Anne had another reason to be laughing. The name of the house had confirmed to her just who Jed’s old friend was.

ASJASJASJASJ

“We’re here. Now what do we do?” Rose said, apprehensively as she and Anne stood on the deck at the Porterville Station.

“We ask someone to take us to Amnesty. A house with a name as distinctive as that is probably well known. Don’t you think?” Anne smiled at her young companion. They had become to know each other better on the train journey and she rather liked the impetuous young woman. “Come on. Let’s rent a buggy and ask in the livery stable while we’re there.” She started in the direction of the town.

“That easy huh?” Rose muttered and followed. Rose was beginning to feel nervous. The unfamiliar surroundings were making her uneasy. She had thrown in her lot with a woman she didn’t know, quit the job she hated but needed and embarked on a quest to find a man she didn’t know. All because he and another man could be in danger. The other man, she hardly knew either but would like the opportunity to know better. She shook her head, in reproach of herself. She had lost the brains she’d been born with obviously. It wasn’t really her fault. Must be because of her immersion in all that hot, soapy water for days on end no doubt, she thought sarcastically.

ASJASJASJASJ

Walking out of Lom’s office, the Kid sighed as he closed the door behind him. He had been bringing his friend up to date with the developments in the “Pine Lake Affair”. Lom in turn had telephoned, (the Kid shook his head at the use of the telephone), his counterpart in Longwater, Sheriff Gunnison. As expected, that Sheriff would co-operate in the investigation, if only, to see fair play for the major employer in Longwater, Jeremiah Curry.

The Kid headed in the direction of the livery stable. He had used Amnesty’s buggy this morning, dropping Susan at school to save Mary a trip into town. He’d left the buggy and the harness horse, Nellie, the docile mare Mary occasionally rode, with his old boss, Walt Reilly. Despite quitting on Walt without warning, having decided to go to Boston with Caroline, Walt bore the Kid no ill will. Thaddeus Jones, as Walt knew him, was a successful businessman these days. Good luck to him for seizing an opportunity to do well for himself, thought Walt.

“Mr Curry! Mr Curry!”

Deep in thought, it took a moment before the Kid realised that someone was calling out for Mr Curry. He looked up and there jumping up and down, waving her hand at him, was a young woman who looked familiar. She looked delighted to see him. He glanced around nervously. She hadn’t appeared to attracted anyone else’s attention. As he came closer, he could see who it was, Paul Cowdry’s friend, Rose.

“Er no ma’am, I’m afraid you’re mistaken,” he smiled, a little nervously. Had anyone heard?
Then firmer just in case. “The name’s Jones. Thaddeus Jones.”

Rose lost her smile under his hard look. “I’m sorry. My mistake,” she murmured, contritely. She knew the name was wrong. His look seemed to say, that’s who I AM, got it? Very well, she would go with it for now.

The Kid walked passed her into the livery stable and Rose followed her. Inside, another woman with her back to him was haggling with Walt, over the price of a rental buggy. Good luck with that, the Kid thought ruefully. Walt Reilly was a miserly old coot. Frustrated, the woman looked round, pausing as she tried to keep the negotiations civil. As she did, the Kid saw her.

“Anne!”

To his surprise, Anne rushed over and hugged him. “Oh thank goodness you’re okay!”

The Kid laughed at the surprise greeting. “I’m fine but what are you doing here?” And how did you find me, he wanted to ask but couldn’t under Walt’s interested gaze.
“I’ve a message for you. It’s very important. Is there somewhere we can talk?” Anne glanced at Walt. “Privately.”

The Kid frowned. Why was Anne here? Why was Rose here? Why was anyone here? “Yeah sure. I’m staying out at a friend’s house. We’ll go there. You remember my OLD friend, Joshua Smith. Don’t you, Anne?”

So that was the name Hannibal Heyes was using.

“Yes of course I remember Joshua. How is he?”

“Fine, fine.” The Kid screwed up his face. “Well not so fine really but getting better,” he said, nodding his head from side to side. “He’ll be glad to see you, Anne.” He looked over at Rose, who had come forward to hover close by. The two women were obviously together. “You too, Rose.”

Anne stretched out her hand to take Rose’s arm. “Rose has been keeping me company on the journey. Wasn’t that nice of her?”

The Kid frowned. “Ye-ah,” the Kid slowly. He was missing a lot here. No doubt, back at Amnesty, everything would be revealed. He ought to see about that. “Walt is Nellie ready?”

ASJASJASJASJ

“I dunno, Paul. I’m not sure Grantly is sharp enough to use poison for the murder,” Heyes said, rubbing his cheek. The cut there was healing nicely. Yet it itched like mad and Mary was always telling him off for scratching at it. He gave one final scratch before dropping his hand. She was right. If he kept on, it would scar.

He and Cowdry had spent the morning exploring several methods of committing murder and poison was the one they kept coming back to.

“Perhaps he is sir and he uses the poison with something else,” Cowdry said, slowly.

“Something else more obvious.”

Heyes looked up frowning. “What do you mean?”

“Well perhaps he stabs Rebecca but not so hard that the wound isn’t fatal on it’s own. But the knife had poison on it and it’s that what kills her. If he was seen doing the stabbing and a doctor swears the wound wouldn’t have killed her, wouldn’t he be off the hook?”
Heyes tapped a pencil against his lips as he considered. “Hmmm, if it really was just a scratch, it would be difficult to prove that’s what killed her.”  Heyes mulled some more.

“Perhaps I can write a mystery within a mystery. It’ll certainly add an extra dimension. Well done Paul. I like the way you think. Write that down, please.”

Cowdry beamed. “Thank you sir. I try my best,” he said, as he bent his head to write on the pad on his knee.

Heyes smirked. “Don’t try too hard Paul. Don’t want you getting too good at this and giving me competition.”

“Oh no sir.” Cowdry looked up horrified and when he saw Heyes’ smirk, returned it.

As Cowdry dropped his head to finish writing, Heyes nodded tight-lipped. Yep, the Kid was in safe hands with this young man.

Sounds of a buggy driving furiously up the drive drew both their attention.

“What’s going on?” Heyes frowned.

Cowdry got up and went to the window.

“It’s Mr Curry, sir.” He pulled back the sheer curtains to have a better look. “He has two women with him,” he added. “Oh!”

Cowdry drew back in surprise.

“Paul?”

Cowdry turned. “Um, one of them is … Rose, sir.” He hurried to the door. “Excuse me sir,” he said, yanking it open and much to Heyes’ annoyance, flipping it closed behind him.

“Rose?” Heyes queried to the empty room.

ASJASJASJASJ

Outside, Cowdry was on the top of the steps as the buggy came to rest. Even before the Kid had jerked on the brake, Rose was scrambling out.

“Oh, Paul, you’re okay! I’ve been so worried!” she cried as she ran, flinging her arms round his neck.

The Kid and Anne swopped grins at the antics of the young woman.

“Young love,” Anne said.

The Kid rolled his eyes at his employee locked in an amorous embrace, which by the look of it, was warmly reciprocated. He tossed the reins to a puffing John Beecher, who had run up from the stables, and got down to help Anne. Together, they climbed the few steps onto the porch where Cowdry was letting Rose go. Cowdry flushed as the Kid gave him a rueful grin as he and Anne walked passed. The Kid noticed that Cowdry hadn’t let Rose go completely. A hand lingered at her waist, and the Kid raised an amused eyebrow.

Cowdry cleared his throat in embarrassment and turned to Rose when they were alone.

“Rose, what are you doing here?”

Rose explained about how Anne had come into the café, how she wanted to get a message to Mr Curry.

“Paul, she said Mr Curry AND you were in danger. What’s going on? Why are you in danger?”

Cowdry sobered. “Um, I’m not sure I can say just yet. Let’s go inside and hear what Anne has to say first.” He took her arm and started in.

“Paul, aren’t you … pleased to see me?” Rose looked worried that she had done something terrible that was now putting her future relationship with this man in jeopardy.

Cowdry smiled and in answer, he pressed a kiss on her. Although their association was of short standing, Cowdry already knew that something special was starting to develop. By Rose’s response to his kiss there was a distinct possibility it was mutual.

“Yes, Rose, I’m really very pleased to see you,” he breathed.

ASJASJASJASJ

Back in the study, Heyes was determined to find out what was going on. In HIS house, by the way, went his thoughts. He had thrown back the blanket and slid awkwardly onto the pouffe. Where he sat for a moment, willing the wave of dizziness to die down. When he could open his eyes again, he looked round for his crutch. He found it, only a few feet away, but it might as well be miles. He was steeling himself to make a lunge for it when the door opened. He looked round as the Kid walked in.

“Look who I found?” he grinned, standing aside to allow Anne to come in.

“Anne!”

“Heyes!”

She ran to him and she was kissing him fondly on the cheek as Mary appeared. A questioning raised eyebrow launched in the Kid’s direction.

“Yeah that’s me,” Heyes grinned. “Good to see you Anne. You look well.” Years ago, Heyes and Anne had a brief dalliance. It had fizzled out long before Anne’s marriage to Linnaeus. However, they had remained close during the years the Godfreys were part of the Devil’s Hole Gang network of informants.

“I am. What happened to you?” She gestured at his plastered limbs.

“Awh, wounded in battle,” he said, matter of fact. Then sighed. “I fell off my horse,” he admitted, quietly.

“You? Fell off your horse? I find that hard to believe.”

“There was a little more to it than that!” Mary said, sharply. Was anyone going to tell her who these visitors were?

“Yeah there was. Anne I’d like you to meet my wife, Mary. Mary this is Anne Godffrey. She and her husband, Linnaeus, were … .” He puffed, trying how to describe the Godffreys. He glanced at the Kid. By his expression, he would be no help. “Well they were … .” He cleared his throat. “Useful people to know.” His pursed his lips. “Back in … well back in the day.” He slid back onto the chaise lounge and put his foot on the pouffe.

“Anne’s got some information for us now. I think we ought to listen to her,” the Kid said, giving Heyes a smug smile that said, got you out of a hole there, partner. “Take a seat, Anne.” He gestured to one of the wing back chairs. He noticed Cowdry and Rose at the door and beckoned them in, nodding to the other chair for Rose. Mary had no choice but to take up a seat next to Heyes on the chaise lounge. The Kid shuffled Heyes up, sandwiching him between him and Mary. “Go ahead, Anne.”

“Linnaeus received a telegram last night from Squidgy in Helena,” she began. “When Bloodstone was there he had two men who worked for him. Occasionally.” She lipped her lips nervously. “Squidgy says they left Helena suddenly yesterday. They were heading this way.”

“How does he know they were heading this way?” Heyes’ voice was low and business like.

“Before they left they sent a telegram to Bloodstone. Squidgy was able to obtain sight of it.

They were getting the train for Cheyenne. Bloodstone was to meet them at Taylor’s Halt. With two horses.”

The Kid looked to Heyes, as the local boy.

“Taylor’s Halt is about ten miles north of Longwater. It’s quiet and out of the way. There’s nothing there. Just serves a few ranches come round up that’s all. The train doesn’t stop regular but it will if you tell the conductor when you get on.”

“So if they got the train from Helena last night, they’d be there ‘bout mid-afternoon today,” the Kid mused.

Heyes nodded, staring at a spot on the carpet. “Yep.”

“And our meeting with Curry is at seven tonight.”

Heyes nodded again, still staring. “Yep.” Heyes stirred and looked at Anne. “These men, have they names, Anne?” he asked ominously quietly.

“Yes.”

He looked at her and she took a deep breath. “One of them goes by the name of Carl Didcot. He’s a prize fighter so he’s handy with his fists.”

“And the other fella?”

Anne hesitated and looked straight at the Kid. “Edward Dandy.”

The Kid stiffened visibly and Heyes looked at him.

“You know him?”

“Heard of him, yeah,” the Kid growled.

“He’s a gunman Heyes,” Anne went on. “And a killer. I’ve heard he’s fast.”

All eyes in the room, perhaps apart from Rose, who had no idea what any of this was about, turned to the Kid.

“Kid …,” Heyes breathed. “You don’t want to … .”

“I might not get a choice, Heyes!” the Kid snapped.

Heyes licked his lips slowly. This changed things and not for the better from their point of view. The room was silent. Everyone looked at everyone else.

“Excuse me,” the Kid breathed and got up. He left the room.

“He had to know Heyes,” Anne said, as the door clicked shut.

“I know. And I thank you for coming to tell us.” He took a deep breath. “Do you know anything more about Dandy?”

“Only that he likes his reputation. Been heard to brag about it in certain circles.”

“Is it well founded?”

Anne hesitated. “Yes I believe so.”

Page 1 of 1