Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Louisville, Colorado trip

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HelenWest

HelenWest

Louisville, Colorado trip Empty
PostSubject: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 8:26 pm

I recently traveled to Louisvlle, Colorado, where a lot of the scenes in my stories are set. I visited the Historical Museum and several old buildings. It was wonderful! I am now a member of the Historical Museum and look forward to getting the newsletter, of which I already have several copies. I also bought books on Louisville and the local history of coal mining.

Here is the link to the historical museum:

http://www.louisvilleco.gov/government/departments/louisville-library/historical-museum

HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 8:32 pm

I would love to post some pictures that I took, but I have no idea of how to do it. I keep trying to copy and paste and that does nothing. These aren't web sites - they are pictures I took myself. What do I do?
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 8:46 pm

Front Street, Louisville

This is a link to my picture of scale model of Front Street in turn of the century Louisville, Colorado. That was the street along the railroad track where the men's things were - the saloons, the livery stable,  the blacksmith, etc. Christy's Place would have been there.

Can anyone but me see the picture? This is all new stuff to me, so pardon me for not knowing how to post my own pictures.
HW
Back to top Go down
Stepha3nie

Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 5:30 am

Thank you for the links, Helen!
The picture doesn't show in the posted message, but the link worked just fine. A really good model of the town, I think. All the little details...
I wouldn't mind if you posted links to your other pictures.

It all makes your story come even more to life.
I had a look at some historic pictures of saloons on the museum link - now I'm wondering which one resembles Christie's the most.  Very Happy 
I bet the museum newsletter is a great source for small details, like names of people, what shops there were, the red ash in the streets, immigration,... I bet our boys could have some fun with the Italian community.

Back to posting pictures:
When I want to post pictures, I use Photobucket. I upload my pictures to my account there. Then, when I open one of my pictures in Photobucket, there appears a list of different methods to share the picture to the right of it. I think I use the last one (image). When I click on it, it tells me that the picture is copied and all I need to do is open a posting here and click Ctrl+V (or I guess right mouse click and "paste").

Maybe MAP can tell you more.

HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 9:25 am

Loved seeing the picture and the link to the museum! Now I can picture it better when I'm reading your story.

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 9:42 am

HW, I'm glad you enjoyed Louisville.  It's such a cool town, and so close to Denver.  Thanks for the link and I look forward to any pictures.

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 6:04 pm

Thank you, Steph, for the guidance. I'll try that. It might help in a lot of ways, now that I am doing more digital photography. I have lots of good pictures that I hope will add to the stories. There will be more to go up after the next chapter, that I am working on now. It was quite a wonderful feeling to walk in the same places where I set my characters. I had been to the Denver area a few times before, but it had been awhile and I had not previously been to Louisville or certain other places.

Thanks, everyone, for kind words! I'll work on getting up more pictures.

I was delighted to get some lovely help and encouragement from the historians in Louisville and Boulder.
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 7:23 pm

deleted -  discussing trouble that is no longer true.

Last edited by HelenWest on Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 7:26 pm

deleted - no longer true

Last edited by HelenWest on Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 7:33 pm

Louisville, Colorado trip IMG_2090_zpsgv58vri5

This is the original wooden bar from 740 Front Street, a saloon that opened in Louisville in 1909. The bar was carved in the 1880s. What was once the saloon is now a nice restaurant. It looks elegant, and this was the largest saloon in town. But there is a "spit trough" you can see here on the floor just in front of the bar with water in it for men to spit and perhaps, ahem, add other liquids, where women couldn't see. Now its covered by glass. So perhaps elegant isn't quite the word for it. I picture Christy's Place having a bar a lot like this. I ate in this restaurant and they brought me a page of their history. It was really interesting!

By the way, there is a bullet hole in the bar. Now that sounds like a western movie or TV show!

You can see it online at:

http://www.740front.com/history/

740 itself appears in the foreground of the picture below. I think Christy's Place would have been much like that - a pretty large saloon, since it had rooms as well. On the picture of the model of Front Street, with its actual red ash from the mines used to mark the streets, you can pick out 740 Front very easily. As I said with that picture, it was the street by the railroad tracks where the "man" things were like saloons, the blacksmith, and the livery stable. I would guess the sheriff's office would be there, too, though I couldn't find it on the model.
HW
  Louisville, Colorado trip 2013001126

HW

Last edited by HelenWest on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 7:53 pm

Louisville, Colorado trip IMG_2072_zpssudz9tyv

Here is the model of Main Street, Louisville, with the Mercantile and other stores. This is where ladies and families could go with propriety. The new hotel Jed Curry buys in my story would be there, not on Front Street. The Mercantile is still there, but I couldn't get a good picture.
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 7:56 pm

Louisville, Colorado trip IMG_2062_zpsshwjame0

Here is a view on the model from the Louisville train station, up Pine Street from Front Street, past the alley, to Main Street. So that gives you the basic structure of the town.

Coal mine entrances were actually right in town or walking distance away, often. It was a very unusual situation.
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 7:59 pm

Louisville, Colorado trip IMG_2091_zpsqfst4egr

Here is 740 Front as it is today on Front Street. Boy, have they cleaned it up!
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 8:01 pm

Louisville, Colorado trip IMG_2084_zpsmde64nnk

Here is the view looking south from across the street from where the train station used to be. So this is the track that would take you down to Denver. It is still a little gritty along the railroad tracks.
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 8:10 pm

Louisville, Colorado trip IMG_2083_zpsl96ils8g

And this is the view north along the railroad tracks, the route that would take you (rather indirectly) to Boulder and the University of Colorado.
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 8:15 pm

Louisville, Colorado trip IMG_2092_zpskitrnwzu

Louisville, Colorado trip IMG_2093_zpsfafj1xc5

Here is the oldest house in Louisville and the historical sign about it. The boys would have seen many houses like this in Louisville.
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Louisville, Colorado trip IMG_2078_zpss1pfyjud

Louisville, Colorado trip IMG_2077_zps2inq1rlj

Here is the Coal Miners memorial and the sign about it. They started coal mining there in about 1878, so this is not about any particular disaster. It is a memorial to all the miners who have died there over the years. 
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 8:36 pm

Louisville, Colorado trip IMG_2096_zpsbfvmjkei

Here is a little Victorian house in Louisville, at the corner of Pine and Main Streets. This is the kind of house they would probably have been building in the 1880s, 1890s. Perhaps the tree was a sapling in the era of Heyes and the Kid?
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 8:40 pm

Louisville, Colorado trip IMG_2075_zpsf5adr5i1

Here is a general view of Main Street as it is now. Now you know why I'm not showing you a lot of general views of how it is now - it is charming in many places and many ways but not at all as it would have been in the 1890s.
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Louisville, Colorado trip 2013001041

I love the assortment of guys in this picture of a Louisville Saloon. This is very much the assortment of guys you would have seen at Christy's Place, although I think this is a later picture.
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 8:56 pm

Louisville, Colorado trip 2002003008

Main Street, west side of 700 block. Left to right: Fire Hall, Austin Niehoff House, Bungalow Drug with Coca Cola sign, Bakery, Fruit Store, and City Hall and Jail.
A handwritten note in ink on back of print identifies Main Street, Louisville, CO.

So I was wrong about where the Sheriff's office would have been - it was on Main Street, at least when they photo was taken. This puts the Austin Niehoff house in period context.
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Louisville, Colorado trip 2001018001
Two false-front buildings compose most of print. One building is clearly marked, "Louisville News", "Louisville News, job printing". Two men are standing in front of the Louisville News building.
Small sign in left window is titled, Grand Hall (Ball).

The boys would have avoided this spot, at least for their first six years in Louisville.

By the way, notce the wood board walks, as I describe in my story. I got at least one thing right! That's mostly because it agrees with the series, of course.

HW

Last edited by HelenWest on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 9:01 pm

Louisville, Colorado trip 2013001059
Steinbaugh Blacksmithing, later Steinbaugh's Hardware Store located on the east side of Front Street north of Spruce Street. Written on verso: "This picture was the beginning of our business dating back to June 6th 1892. My Father is standing there with the tongs in his hand, ready to fit the shoe to the Horse. H.H. Steinbaugh."

Can't you just picture the boys standing there with their horses?
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 9:11 pm

I think that's enough, if not more than. I highly recommend your visiting the Louisville Historical Museum. It is a real treat and the people are great. As a museum professional, I can tell you, the historian is very professional. They also also have lots of local enthusiasts who add loads of knowledge and love.
HW
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 10:01 am

Loved seeing all the pictures! Thanks!

PostSubject: Re: Louisville, Colorado trip   Louisville, Colorado trip Empty

Back to top Go down

Louisville, Colorado trip
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next