Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

hornswoggle

Go down 
AuthorMessage
riders57

riders57

hornswoggle Empty
PostSubject: hornswoggle   hornswoggle EmptyMon May 02, 2016 5:53 am

Well, we're nothing if not obdurate (some phrase that "stubborn as a mule" or "pig-headed", but I digress) so we will make one more try to see if anyone is interested in a short, paragraph or so, writing based on a word for the month.

Hornswoggle

a transitive verb meaning bamboozle or hoax.  Example:  "I played 3-card monty with him, and he hornswoggled me, I tell you!"
Back to top Go down
riders57

riders57

hornswoggle Empty
PostSubject: Re: hornswoggle   hornswoggle EmptySat May 07, 2016 12:53 pm

I was getting a story ready for posting on fanfiction.net and realized that this portion fit the prompt here.

“Now then, you two, set yourselves back down and tell me what you’re really about here,” the sheriff ordered, all geniality gone and his shrewd eyes examining them.  “I’ve known that little lady since she was knee high to a grasshopper, wild little thing she was.  Her daddy knew what he was about when he sent her east.  Damn shame she had to return.  There’s no man in these parts that could handle her and take on her troubles for her.  Still, she’s done a better job than you’d expect from a woman.”  He glared at the partners.  “So, I don’t hold no truck with a pair of scalawags trying to hornswoggle her into thinking they can solve her problems.”

Heyes opened his eyes wide.  “You have us all wrong, sheriff.”

“Yeah, we’d never do that,” the Kid affirmed, with his most innocent expression.

“See that you don’t or I’ll lock you up so tight a flea couldn’t reach you.”  He glared at them as they sat imitating a pair of choirboys.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

hornswoggle Empty
PostSubject: Re: hornswoggle   hornswoggle EmptySat May 07, 2016 1:29 pm

Want to read this one, Riders.   clapping
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
riders57

riders57

hornswoggle Empty
PostSubject: Re: hornswoggle   hornswoggle EmptySat May 07, 2016 1:54 pm

I just posted it above in my section:  A Rose By Any Other Name
Back to top Go down
Remuda

Remuda

hornswoggle Empty
PostSubject: Re: hornswoggle   hornswoggle EmptySun Jun 19, 2016 3:28 pm

This is a slightly rewritten scene from an old story.

Heyes, Curry, and Clem stared at the table momentarily before all three started speaking simultaneously –

“I just wanted to…”

“Clem, how you doin’…?”

“Let’s see…”

They stopped and laughed with the ease of long acquaintance, the temporary awkwardness gone.

Kid reached his arm around Clem and pulled her close. “I’ve missed ya, Clem. Sorry it took this to bring us together.”

“Oh, Ki… – Thaddeus!” She stopped as she caught herself and conspicuously looked around.

The blond ex-outlaw squeezed her shoulder. “We’re alone, Clem. It’s okay, as long as you don’t shout it out.”

Clem lowered her voice so only the two partners could hear. “No, it’s not all right. Someone can walk in any minute.”

Heyes’ and Kid’s eyes met, and the pair exchanged a look, seemingly of “Where is this going?” – or perhaps of understanding.

Clem continued, sotto voce, sadness in her voice, “And Josh… – Heyes! – even though this is all over, I can understand now why you needed to keep the disguise. If anyone, those men who watch my house, saw us… Well, how would we…? I think I know now how you two feel all the time, having to hide out, being on the run…” She sighed.

The dark-haired man regarded Clem. “Honey, you know we feel responsible for this happening to you, and we can feel bad, but it’s all over. Let’s look on the bright side. We’ll just have to be real careful when we’re in Denver. Better yet, we can meet up with you other places.  Let's just enjoy the moment.”

Clem smiled. “I am.  But, tomorrow it’ll be nice to get back to normal at home.”

Kid sighed. “Yeah, tomorrow we have to leave and find ourselves some work to settle up."

Clem pulled away from Kid and regarded him, then Heyes. “Thank you, boys, for offering to pay. But, you won’t have to do that, after all.”

“Huh?” The two men exchanged a look and shrugged.

Clem continued, her grin growing broader. “Well, it's all been taken care of.  No one said anything so I'd be able to surprise you." 

Two ex-outlaws’ visages lit up; they were left speechless.

“Although… I owe you both a lot… So, I’ve decided to,” she paused as she reached into her purse, “give you a present.” She handed an envelope to Heyes. “I thought you might like this. Keep it safe, and close to your hearts.”

Kid eyed the envelope, then Clem. “Clem, is that what I think it is?”

There was a twinkle in her eye. “Well, let’s just say it might be a likeness I think you’ll appreciate. After all, with you two headed out in the morning, we don’t know when we’ll see each other again.” She yawned and started to rise. “Gentlemen, I’m going to take my leave now, and will see myself upstairs. I hope we’ll see each other soon.”

The trio exchanged farewells.  Heyes and Kid watched Clem exit the room, and turned their attention to the envelope.

Impatiently, Curry urged, “Well, what are ya waitin’ for? Open it!”

Heyes grinned, and gingerly opened the envelope. He peered inside, and a frown appeared. He pulled out a photograph – of Clem!

Heyes chuckled. “Well, she did say it was a likeness we’d appreciate.”

Kid laughed. “Yeah! She hornswoggled us again!”

skykomish

hornswoggle Empty
PostSubject: Re: hornswoggle   hornswoggle EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 4:37 pm

I realize that this was set for May, but I just read it and had an idea.  So here is my very late entry for hornswaggle.

"Hornswaggled! What does-- How can you say that about me?  I ain't never hornswaggled no sheriff.  I ain't stupid."  Wheat puffed out his chest and huffed before he gave Heyes an indignant glare.  "Hornswaggled. Pfft!"

"I was giving you a compliment, Wheat." Heyes replied, peering at the older, peeved outlaw through one squinted eye.  "Just what do you think hornswaggled means?"

"Well. . . ya know. . . it's not a nice thing to say."  He shuffled his feet and kicked at the dust.

"It means that you tricked that lawman and got us outta there," snarled the Kid. 

Wheat's head jerked up, and then he pasted on a cocky smile.  "Of course, Kid.  Jest takes a little experience and some smarts."

Sponsored content

hornswoggle Empty
PostSubject: Re: hornswoggle   hornswoggle Empty

Back to top Go down

hornswoggle
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction  :: Writer's Area - Please email Admin to get your own thread for your stories. Use a new thread for each story. Please comment after the story. :: Challenge Stories :: Word Challenge-
Jump to: