Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Publishing Fanfic

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Publishing Fanfic   Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:59 am

Hi Everyone,

In chat the question of the legalities of publishing fanfiction came up and the link to the article below may prove to be interesting.

Basically it says that the contract offered to publish fanfiction is signing over the copyright for any original characters you create. Not a thought your Mysterious Admin Person relishes at all.

I thought you'd find this of interest.

The article states:

“For example, Time Warner could launch a movie series based on a character you created and not owe you a dime. While the terms state that you retain the copyright, you also give Amazon an exclusive license to your original work and Amazon in turn licenses your work to Time Warner in a license that provides nothing for you.”

It goes further and states that:

"the most appealing route to publication will remain the one taken by Fifty Shades of Grey author E. L. James: just file off the serial numbers."

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/05/kindle-worlds-fanfic-copyright/

MAP

Ghost 
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Fanfic   Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Yeah, I agree with you Sarah. I don't want to hand over the rights to my own characters that's for sure. And then if by chance someone did want to make it into something, I wouldn't get a dime? What's the point of that?

There are some people here on the Island who have self-published the old fashioned way. I'll look into getting that information and post it on here. I still have to admit though, I have yet to read anything that was self-published and actually be able to get through it.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Fanfic   Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:06 pm

Sarah??  Who is this Sarah you speak of?  I am MAP.Ghost 

I think the big step to making books ready for self-publishing, or even for submitting to an editor or an agent, is for them to be well edited and presented; and that's where many self-published books let themselves down.  

I belong to another group where we all beta for one another and two of them now have three book deals with Mills and Boon and another two have self-published which are selling.

I don't think mine is the M&B demographic, but the process is the same.  Polish the thing to death and that's where we can all help one another.

I have been told that editing and book covers are the areas where self-published authors let themselves down, but if this group works together we can hopefully up produce work which is accomplished enough to stand out from the herd.

Your Mysterious Admin Person

Ghost  XXX
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
riders57

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Fanfic   Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:05 am

Dear MAP I agree. I have seen a number of the self-published books on Amazon and the reviews unanimously tend to request editing. I read somewhere of a significantly published author (by that I mean through publishing houses) who decided to self-publish (very successfully) and he said the two best pieces of money he spent were on an editor and a cover designer.
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Fanfic   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:22 pm

A good editor will make or break your book. It would be very good if we could focus our writing on material that can ultimately become published. Lots of work though. Are we up to it? I think so.

Yes, my slip. Sorry. Whatever was I thinking? Oh Mysterious Admin Person.
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Fanfic   Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:46 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_issues_with_fan_fiction

Here is a link I found for copyright laws.  If any of you legal eagles out there are willing to take the time to read it over and then translate into English that would be great.  I just want to get an idea of what I'm looking at while re-writing TOF for possible publication.

Thank you ladies.
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Fanfic   Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Also found this link for those of you who might be interested.   http://transformativeworks.org/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Fanfic   

Back to top Go down

Publishing Fanfic
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction  :: Writers Aids Feel free to contrubute to any of these threads :: Self-Publishing information-
Jump to: