Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The Lie

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Caroline McK

PostSubject: The Lie   Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:48 pm

This one is another one that I wrote way back when. HannaHeyes, this one is for you. Thank you for remembering it.

Warning!! This one deals with emotional angst issues and some physical grief. Please be aware that it may not be your cup of tea. It is just a one-off snippet, and there is no more to it. If any of you want to write a beginning or follow-up ending, you have my blessing.

The Lie

Pain. Pure and simple, that was all he felt. What had started as a dull ache grew until he had to clamp his jaws tight to keep from screaming.

His partner was dead, the hat and bandanna were proof enough. He himself was ready to die. There was no reason to live.

She grinned. Her plan was working to perfection. Neither knew the other was still alive. Just a bit longer and they would both break. Eventually she would reunite them, but it would be years until she did. Yes, they had destroyed her, but she was the one enjoying life right now and its' wonderful aphrodisiac-like revenge.

"Say it. That's all you have to do, I promise. You say that you're alone and finally rid of him and then I'll make sure you get the medical treatment you need." Her hand brushed away a curl from his badly bruised forehead.

Ice cold, hate-filled blue eyes tried to watch her every move. He was bound tight to a bed frame,unable to avoid her touch. "No." He tried to keep his voice steady and show no emotion.

She laughed, "You will, darling. You will come to do my bidding." She turned and closed the door behind her, careful not to show her anger at his stubborness.
Light. After what felt like an eternity in his painful, tortured darkness she had returned. He had to close off his mind and, more importantly his heart and soul. He couldn't give her words any credence, because then he would have only vengence to survive for, only her death to anticipate.

"Stop struggling. You're only hurting yourself," she ran her hands across his shoulders and locked eyes with his smoldering, anger-filled burning chocolate orbs. "All you have to do is say it. Tell me  that you're ready to accept his death and then I'll release you and take you back into the light, back to the living."

She stepped behind him, her eyes growing wide at the damagehe had done to his wrists in his attempts to gain his freedom. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath to compose herself. This wasn't quite what she had planned.

"Darling, you've simply got to stop this nonsense. You're losing the war, and I've barely begun," she purred in his ear, knowing he couldn't avoid listening.  

"Prove it. Show me absolute proof." He was beyond anger, beyond his limit for her games. He saw all the proof he needed. The gun was there in front of him, the grip covered in blood. He knew the gun, knew its' owner would never surrender it.

"You need to think about this some more. You need more time to accept what happened. I'll leave you to your thoughts then," she said as she turned to close the door and seal himonce again in tomb-like darkness.

No, time wasn't going to change his mind. He refused to believe his partner was dead. It couldn't be true. He would know, he would feel it. "Kid, please, please, I can't give in to her lie," he whispered hoarsely to the  six-gun, his only solid connection with his partner.

He sighed and hung his head. He was exhausted and could only barely feel his fingertips. The rest of him ached with weariness.

The blond man tried to move his shoulder;he couldn't. His arms refused to co-operate. All he got for his efforts was a new wave of pain.

He couldn't give up, Heyes couldn't be dead. He would know it, he would feel it. There simply had to be a way to catch her up in her lies. "Heyes, I need a little help here," he spoke softly to the hat, willing it to respond and give him the answer he wanted and needed.

Hours passed before her next wave of verbal torture began. Again she went first to Kid Curry. "Have you decided to accept the truth yet?"

The truth. That was it. YES! He needed an answer, a hidden card to believe in. He closed his eyes and tried to keep his voice steady, "I need more proof. A hat isn't enough. I need to see his body." He swallowed hard and caught himself, "I need to say good bye."

She almost jumped for joy. This was getting easier. She had broken one, of that she was positive. "Of course, darling. Give me an hour to arrange it." She loosened the ropes that held him. "I know how badly you wanted to believe otherwise. I know how hard you tried. But, I'm here now and I'll be here for you to lean on and, in time, rely on."

Kid closed his eyes again and swallowed, hoping Heyes would forgive him for telling her that he was giving up. It was only a small lie, because he would never give up on his partner.

She left him then, closing the door softly in her wake.

Light came slowly once again to the inky blackness that engulfed Heyes, threatening  to swallow him into a depth of pain that he wasn't sure he could surface from.

She entered and he knew immediately that something was different, something had changed.  He may not have known for sure what, but he had a hunch.

"Well, darling, have you given it any more thought?"

He nodded. His heart skipped a beat as he began, "I need to see him one last time, to say good bye and then I'm yours." He hung his head in surrender, hhis own words trying to force him beyond his limits.

"Of course, my love. You were together for such a very long, long time." She tipped his face to her, to try to search his eyes for any sign of a lie. There was none. Her smile came slowly to her face. "We needto get you cleaned up a bit first."

His plan, what little of it there was, was actually working. Kid may never forgive him for this lie, but he needed to try. He needed to be careful, to guard against giving away any sign of his true thoughts.

She released his wrists and he slowly brought his arms forward. His shoulders were stiff and his arms felt like they were on fire with pins and needles pricking at his skin.

Cautiously he worked his hands, the pain was almost unbearable but he had control.

She held his arm as she guided hhim through the semi-darkness of the passageway. Semi-dark to her, but for Heyes there was more light than he had seen in over a week. He held his cousin's gun in a vise-like grip, knowing by the weight it still had at least three bullets in it.

He stumbled into a table and clumsily knocked the crystal vase to the polished marble floor. It shattered into oblivion and he had to swallow a smile. If Kid were here, he had to have heard that.

Kid was just about to turn the corner when he heard the noise from down the hall. He grinned. It had to be Heyes. He looked for a hiding place and found one mere seconds before she entered the room. The tall wardrobe reminded him of the one he used to be locked in as punshment  at Valparaiso.

He had to be extremely careful now. he knew that he was vulnerable without a gun, but he was having other problems, his hands were shaky at best and he had no way of knowing Heyes' condition..

A sudden calm came over him. Everything would be okay now. They had been in worse situations and managed to survive. This would be tricky, but only for a short time, then everything would work out.

The spacious room was as good as any for Heyes to ask, "When and where can I see my partner?" Hekept his voice soft and shaky, not eager to chance tipping his hand yet.

"Soon, darling, soon. Let me get some salve and bandages for your wrists first," she purred. Pushing Heyes onto the settee, she smiled, "I'll be right back."

Kid listened and waite until he hoped she was gone. He opened the wardrobe door and grinned, Heyes was watching and waiting fro him.

"Took you long enough."

"Yeah. Kind of stiff. You okay?"

'Yeah.You?"

"Yeah." Blue eyes locked with brown and each man knew that the absolute worst was over.

Heyes held out Kid'sgun and took his hat and bandanna in return. Brown eyes flashed with gold flecks and blue eyes sparked with silver lightning. Words weren't necessary between the two.

They had both been caught up in the lie for over a week. A week of pain and anguish. Their nightmareswereconquered. They had won. Now she would have to pay for the lies, for their pain and suffering.

Caroline
Back to top Go down
Caroline McK

PostSubject: Re: The Lie   Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:03 pm

This story was criticised because some felt that I didn't get into Kid properly. I should have been more aware that he would easily surrender his gun.
I wrote this shortly after watching parts of the episode with Joe Briggs. Kid kept his gun and paid the price of humiliation and bullying until he was pushed too far. Yes, he also was willing to sell it in 'Smiler' but that was different. He was not being pushed or forced to do another's will. It was his choice then.
I truly believe that Kid would do things that he wanted as he wanted. Just don't force him to do something, because that could be ... shall we say not pretty.
I hope you like it and please let me know if you think I have Kid in the right or not.
Thanks much, Caroline
Back to top Go down
Remuda

PostSubject: Re: The Lie   Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:20 pm

Caroline, I've said before I think you worry too much.  Who cares what others think?  If you have the guys as you see them and are happy overall with your stories, that's all that matters.  There are a lot of different opinions out there, and you can't please everyone.  If you tried, you'd drive yourself up a wall.  I'm really not trying to be insensitive; quite the opposite.  Just write, post, and relax, and all will be fine.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Lie   Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:31 pm

I agree, Remuda.  This is a great story and each person's characterisation is their own take on them, and that's what makes the stories so interesting.  I love it when people takes me somewhere my imagination wouldn't think of.  Trust your own voice and relax.  That was just someone's opinion.  You can either wonder if you need to change your veiw the next time you write, or you can dismiss it after some consideration.  Either way, it's just an opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: The Lie   Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:09 am

Aw, thanks Caroline :) This was one of the first things I remember reading from you and I enjoyed it just as much this time as I did then. I have always wished this had been longer, how did she capture them, why she did what she did, and what they did to repay her. 

As for Kid's gun, if he's been injured and is tied down to a bed, she could easily have just taken it from his gunbelt. She might have drugged his drink to get him in that position, or had an accomplice help her with the capture. I think he would hand it over to save Heyes' life. Anyway, (sorry I got off on a tangent there), I guess what I'm saying is, if she's capable of getting them both in the position she had them in, I think she would also be savvy enough to eventually get Kid's gun.

I also agree with the above statements. We all have our own thoughts and ideas about the boys' character. I understand your worry though. I have the same thoughts myself when I'm writing. But without each person's own unique opinion, we wouldn't have the many varying stories we all enjoy. And we all have our own preference as to the type of stories we enjoy. I always try to keep that in mind when I'm trying to write. But I also know how hard emotionally it can be to receive bad criticism. Just try to not let it bother you and please keep writing and posting. And remember, criticism given in the right way will always help us to improve our writing. Write the stories you have in your heart and let those who will enjoy them.

I will now jump off my soapbox. I didn't mean to write you a novel ;)

PostSubject: Re: The Lie   

Back to top Go down

The Lie
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction  :: Writer's Area - Please email Admin to get your own thread for your stories. Use a new thread for each story. Please comment after the story. :: Stories by Caroline McK-
Jump to: