Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Gift

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Caroline McK

Caroline McK

The Gift Empty
PostSubject: The Gift   The Gift EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 9:20 am

The Gift 

She sat on the porch swing, crying and staring at the road, waiting.

"Bridget, honey, please come in and eat," Joshua's voice was quiet as he asked from the doorway.

"But I have to watch, I have to," the little girl's voice cracked with a sob.

The man's shoulders slumped and he let out a deep, pain-filed sigh. "Bridget, your daddy is going to flatten me for letting you miss meals." He raised his hands in an understanding surrender.

Deep down, he understood. He knew how she felt and he felt worse because not only could he not bring her daddy home, he could not tell her when he might come home from wherever he was, if he was even still alive.

He closed his eyes and dropped his hands, his own pain almost overwhelming  him. Joshua nodded, unable to force her to give up her vigil. "You can eat when you come in."

Joshua never expected to be in such a position in his life. He was helping his cousin and best friend raise two children, a boy and a girl.

And now he was shocking himself almost daily with each new and deeper reailzation of how much he enjoyed the children and how much he truly loved them.

His cousin had often said that he had no way to repay him for all of his help, but to Joshua the debt was more than paid, the trust far out-weighing anything else; the trust placed in Joshua with such a precious gift, the gift of a family.

This piece is not a holiday piece, just a snippet of a much longer story. This was entered in a coontest in 2010 and took first place. 

I hope you enjoy it. And I hope to post its longer version here in the coming months.

Last edited by Caroline McK on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stepha3nie

Stepha3nie

The Gift Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gift   The Gift EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 12:18 pm

Please do post. It's intriguing and I'd like to read more. Please post the longer version.

Even though I have to say I'm getting a little tired of stories where Kid is the family man and Heyes not. I always wonder if they never watched the Hadleyburgh episode, where Heyes had the instant deep connection to Tommy Tapscott.
But at least you show that Heyes cares and treasures family. I love the last line. It says it all.

lbrown8 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Caroline McK

Caroline McK

The Gift Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gift   The Gift EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 7:46 pm

Thank you, Stepha3nie. The words of encouragement are very appreciated.

It will take a few days to post the longer version, but I hope you will like it as much as this snippet. 
I do have to warn you (and everyone else) that the longer version does have a slight religious bend to it.
No, there is NO forced or otherwise bias, but as someone once said,"There are no atheists in foxholes." I tend to use that type of thinking and (hopefully) others will understand that, while I am not pushing religion or belief on anyone, i do think that when even the most hardened of hearts needs some help, they might ask a higher power.

The longer version is a heart-wrencher and I will post a warning with it as well.

Thank you again for the kind words. It made my heart soar to know that someone else liked this piece.
Back to top Go down
gin16

The Gift Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gift   The Gift EmptySun May 12, 2019 4:42 pm

This was very good.  Did you ever post the longer version??  I hope all is well with you.
Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

The Gift Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gift   The Gift EmptySun Jan 16, 2022 4:14 pm

I think Stepha3nie you have to realise not everyone sees things the way you do.
Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Sponsored content

The Gift Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gift   The Gift Empty

Back to top Go down

The Gift
Page 1 of 1