Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Crossovers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Caroline McK

PostSubject: Crossovers   Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:49 pm

I want to apologize if this thread has already been started, but I haven't seen it, and wanted to ask... 

Would you write a crossover story with another western and which one? 
How would you be true to each?
And which characters woould you most like to see interact if you could cross more than one with ASJ?

I ask this because I am most curious about keeping true to characters. I have wanted to do a crossover for quite some time, but can't seem to keep all of the characters true to their canons.

If this thread does already exist, please consider this a bump.
Back to top Go down
Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers   Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:53 pm

Great question, Caroline! 

First, I'm all about keeping to canon in single or crossover fan fic stories because with certain exceptions, alternate universe or anything "out there" is not my cup of tea.

I have contemplated doing a crossover with my second favorite western, The High Chaparral.  It would be easy to be “true” to each because they take place in the same general time period and place – Chaparral near Tucson, and the boys are often in Arizona – and ideally all the characters of both series would interact. 

I think the key to any successful crossover is having two shows that are similar in time, place, and genre.  As well, I would keep it to two; any more than that might get too complicated to write.  With this in mind, I see no problem in keeping to canon, especially here, as the Chaparral is owned by Cannon (pun intended, but I can hear the groans -- LOL).

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers   Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Thank you for your input, Remuda. I appreciate your insight.

Now for yet more questions... are there any westerns that you think absolutely would not work for a crossover?
Which characters do you think would give the most trouble to you when you would try to blend the two shows? 
Are there any characters that you really want to see written in a crossover, but just haven't written it yourself yet?
Back to top Go down
Hunkeydorey

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers   Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:02 am

I agree that crossovers work best on the same timescales, like High Chaparral or the Virginian, but they can be made to work in any way by a good writer.  I'm never put off by a crossover, just intrigued.
Back to top Go down
Bluebelle

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers   Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:38 am

I like crossovers as long as they don't get too bizarre.  I'm not really into Harry Potter or stuff like that with ASJ.  I read an Alice In Wonderland one I couldn't finish.  It was just too strange, and had no humour.  I think a touch of knowing humour is needed is needed if you step outside the time and period.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers   Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:23 pm

I like crossovers myself, but I'm with Bluebelle in that they aren't so out there it makes no sense whatever. I'd kinda like to read a really good ASJ/Gunsmoke story but I don't know the Gunsmoke characters well enough to do it myself.

Last edited by HannaHeyes on Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
riders57

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers   Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:49 pm

I know I've read some cross-overs without even realizing that they were cross overs because I'm not familiar with other westerns for the most part.  A good cross-over should be able to stand on its own. If you want me to like it then it needs to be a good story and the AS&J characters need to be true to the show.  If I were coming with familiarity of the other characters, the same would be true.  That doesn't change even if the cross-over is with a non-western show.  For example, Drena Hills did a Star Trek cross-over that was good, but you didn't realize it was a cross-over until the very end.  I have no idea if Star Trek fans would have liked it (although I thought the characters and situation worked).
Back to top Go down
Caroline McK

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers   Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:46 pm

Have you ever thought of bringing the other characters into ASJ's realm? 
(I guess when I picture a crossover I tend to make it that the boys are passing through the other story's landscape.) Maybe have them hire on as hands at the Ponderosa or Big Valley ranch, for example. But, what if the other characters were travelling on the same stage or happen into a saloon? 
Do you think that could work or do you see it as having nowhere to go?

No, I'm not really working on a crossover, but want your thoughts as to what makes them really work.
Back to top Go down
Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers   Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:35 pm

Caroline, I think either could work -- the boys in the other show's realm, or vice versa.  It really all depends on the plot.  That also goes for meeting up with or crossing the paths of other characters.

Personally, though, as previously stated, I would only cross ASJ with a western and in the same time frame (say, mid-1870s on), which for me excludes 1860s-set series like Bonanza, Dr. Quinn, and Young Riders, and also Wagon Train and a few others.

As well, what would work for one person might not for another, so that question is subjective.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers   Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:46 pm

Other Western characters work perfectly for me.  As I said, I can appreciate a good story no matter the crossover if it's well done. I'd say have a go and play.  I've learned more from finding out what didn't work than I did from the stuff people didn't have strong feelings about.
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers   

Back to top Go down

Crossovers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1