Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

History: Ordering Whiskey By the Finger

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Javabee

Javabee

History: Ordering Whiskey By the Finger Empty
PostSubject: History: Ordering Whiskey By the Finger   History: Ordering Whiskey By the Finger EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 6:31 pm

I always wondered where the "one or two fingers" method of ordering whiskey originated. According to this it was the wild west:

"Let's start with the "Finger Method..." Ordering by the digit originated in American saloons in the Old West (1830s to 1920), where you would order whiskey by the width of the barman's finger. For example, if you asked for two fingers of whiskey, you would get straight, room-temperature spirit poured in an old fashioned glass (or tumbler) to the height of two fingers. This is an antiquated method and is no longer common because different bartenders have varied sizes of fingers, making the pour lack consistency. As well, most bars have a standard pour of 1.25 to 1.5 ounces, making it difficult to figure out how to charge for each finger.

Recently, with a nod to bar history, there has been an effort to standardize the "finger pour" to 3/4 of an inch per finger in an standard old fashioned glass, which equals about one ounce per finger. This would result in two fingers equaling two ounces and so on. This is not yet generally accepted, but as cocktail culture continues to evolve and more bartenders become well-versed in cocktail history, the standardized finger pour will become more recognized."
http://www.westword.com/restaurants/ask-the-bartender-giving-all-those-old-bar-terms-the-finger-5747968

Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: History: Ordering Whiskey By the Finger   History: Ordering Whiskey By the Finger EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 6:48 pm

I think it came over from Europe.  There are myriad vintage jokes of both Scotsmen and Irish men ordering 'two fingers' and holding their arms wide apart to make the distance between the fingers at least two to three feet in depth.   Drink   I can see cowboys doing that too.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Stepha3nie

Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: History: Ordering Whiskey By the Finger   History: Ordering Whiskey By the Finger EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 6:18 am

Or ordering two finger lengths of whiskey...

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: History: Ordering Whiskey By the Finger   History: Ordering Whiskey By the Finger Empty

Back to top Go down

History: Ordering Whiskey By the Finger
Page 1 of 1