Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Applause and Feedback

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

Applause and Feedback - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 5:00 am

Storm - Yay, it's been ages since we had a story from you and this discussion over coffee was loads of fun.  I loved that you made yourself a voice from the stars.  Have you got the boys in some sort of terrarium?  Great discussion on the ways people actually made coffee back in the day so of course it's so much easier nowadays; especially if you take yourself off to one of Javabee's establishments.  That's my personal tip for good coffee.

Remuda - Oh, darn that looming deadline.  I was just getting into that and could have read a whole lot more of this sparkling inner dialogue but it was cut short by the passing of time and the swishing by of cut-off points.  Their lives didn't look too laudable when distilled down did they?  I guess you really needed to know the charm they added into the mix, but somehow you very cleverly managed sprinkle that all over the musings to sweetened the piece so very nicely.

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 7:22 am

StormR:  Lol, you put me in mind of Bill Cosby's skit about Noah talking to God.  Poor Heyes gets harassed again about his coffee.  Personally, I like my coffee dark, too (like my outlaws) and would be happy to take Heyes and his coffee off your hands.  Very funny exchange and I loved the comment about Kyle's teeth as well as the suggestion that Wheat gets the last cup!

Remuda:  I liked watching your writer contemplate his subjects from all angles before he finally decides that maybe he needs new characters.  Loved the wondering about Mr. Twain.  When I first read this, it seemed somewhat humorous and light, but then I started thinking about how quickly a life's meaningfulness can fade to obscurity.  Our boys' fame was fleeting and the story took on a sadness for me.  That's good writing!

“The purpose of life isn’t to arrive at death in perfect condition but to slide into it sideways with your hair mussed, your clothes disheveled, a martini in one hand and chocolate in the other, shouting ‘Whooeee, what a ride!’”--Hunter S. Thompson
Back to top Go down
Gringa

Gringa

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 7:34 am

I hope you don't mind me commenting on Gringo's behalf.  I think doing a story was enough for him.

Silverkelpie -  I think we are now getting to the new parts of this story but I have really enjoyed the recap and but are we getting the truth?  I get the feeling that this tricky little tramp is going to get the boys involved in his plans, but I can't wait to read the where this goes next.    

Keays - As others have said, it is amazing how your epic fits every prompt, but I enjoy each and every excuse to revisit your tale.  This excerpt was particularly perfect   

Stepha3nie - Your first story?  How exciting!  And what a goodie you have given us too.  I loved the way you kept fitting the little dog into the tale and how he told us his approval and disapproval of the various suggestions for his name.  I agree with him.  The name is perfect and I hope we get many more from you.  

Riders - Oh, the opening scenes were just a perfect dreamy way to wake up.  Loved the girl's denial that she hadn't noticed the two men.  She was playing it cool, but we weren't buying it for a moment!

Keays - very good descriptions in this story.  I could really start to feel the creeping cold and the hunger at their hopeless situation.  I was glad that the lawmen were fair and treated them well when they tempted them out of hiding.  I had to have a coffee myself after reading this! 

Insideoutlaw - Oh, the ignominy of being an outlaw leader and getting robbed, and to make things worse the gang all know about it!  Heyes is right.  He has no alternative and needs to show the men that he won't take it lying down.  I would love to read the next part of this.  

Javabee - This was just packed full of too many good lines to quote.  I might as well just print the whole story again.  I have never seen such an original take on how they lived after they went straight, but the way Javasue wrangled Heyes into submission was a joy to read.  Loved this and I hope you'll post both parts together    

Storm - How lovely that you have chosen to jump in an play with us again!  I did love this story.  The way Heyes was confronted with his poor coffee making skills was a hoot, and his defence was pretty good too.  He was certainly good at convincing me that he was getting a bad rap, but how come his coffee was  worse than everyone else’s who was stuck with the same processes as him?  Loved that he gave the grinds to Wheat and the comments about Kyle's teeth.  This was lots of fun!     

Remuda - This was beautifully written, but yours always is.  The content was very original and just how would you start writing the life of two wonderful amoral but moral pretty good bad men?  It is a tale of woe in their childhood, but that is such a small part of who they became.  You captured the complexity of the characters and encapsulated their charm at the same time, but did it in so few words.  Very clever.
Back to top Go down
Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 12:08 pm

Gringo:
Wow, Gringo, I am very impressed with your story. I would never have known that English isn't your first language if I had not been told. Your conclusion certainly makes me wonder what our heroes would have done if someone had stopped them from doing their first job. The young couple was lucky to have met them. I hope you will write us another one soon. Thanks! 
  applause

Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Storm:
Heyes has sure been through the wringer this month when it comes to being harassed about his coffee, hasn't he? Enjoyed your take on giving him tips. Cowboy coffee is never good to the last drop because of the grounds, so of course that last cup should be saved for Wheat! Another fun story, thanks Storm!

Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 12:27 pm

Remuda:
As he goes through his options of where to start his story, the history of their lives unfold. There is really so much complexity to the tale, no wonder he doesn't know where to begin. The detail of this process is beautifully described, right down to the nod to his too strong coffee. Thanks for another good one, Remuda. This was short, sweet, but certainly not simplistic. Loved this.
clapping

Stepha3nie

Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 4:38 pm

We only have one remark from Kid in ASJ indicating Heyes' coffee was bad, but everybody seems to take it for granted it's true. I am a little surprised, since I think it could just have been a little dig at Heyes in front of Harry. I am also starting to wonder why everybody assumes his coffee is too strong. Looks to me like a case of something becoming accepted truth because some people (not the original characters) said/wrote so.
It reminds of of a phenomenon I have encountered among different re-enactment scenes. No matter how much they try to be authentic, there are always some compromises necessary (due to weather; unavailability of materials, food; coffee craving...). Explanations are developed why some compromises are acceptable and when the scene is active long enough, these acceptable things become a tradition of their own, sometimes even get mistaken for the "real thing" by newcomers.
As a former student of ethnology/anthropology I find this fascinating.

Enough musings, back to applause and feedback:

Storm: A slightly different take on a story about our favourite outlaws. I like stories where the author makes an appearance, where reality and fiction get mixed up. And yours did not disappoint: a really nice, funny piece.
Poor Heyes - not only his gang gang up on him regarding his coffee, no, you have to demoralise him as well. And confuse him with mentioning modern coffee making equipment. Thank you for contrasting this with explanations about how cowboy coffee was (is?) made. I liked how you then turned the tone of the story around. Kid shows support for Heyes - he is a good friend and partner after all. Then you give Heyes a tip for a new devious plan: how to get back at Wheat for all his blustering/prodding,... by saving the last cup of coffee (with all the grounds) for him. Give him grounds for complaining, so to speak. And when (not if) Heyes follows your plan, you will have achieved what Kid never could: Heyes will make coffee that all the others will like, except Wheat...

IO: Thank you for reminding me of Bill Cosby's Noah & God. Have it on tape somewhere, must look for it.

Remuda: Wow. Your story drew me in. On first reading it "just" looked like an interesting new way to tell the story of our two favourite ex-outlaws through the musings of the unknown writer about where to begin the next story - childhood, Valparaiso, introduction to grifting and crime, outlaw days, seeking amnesty and apparently getting it at some point. Then I noted "Waterman", Miss Addams and Mark Twain and started to wonder more about when your story is set and consequently about who your writer might be. I shortly hoped it might be one of the boys, but quickly discarded the idea. Maybe someone who met them or knew them? There are some hints which could be taken this way. Or is it just someone who has written about them before and might be able to check facts with them?
On yet another level the story shows how people, no matter how famous they are at some point in their lives, will most likely fade back into obscurity. Their legend, if they have one, will take over. Depending on what the legend will focus on, the real achievements which were important to the people behind the legend might be quickly forgotten (or never make it into publication). Dime novels take it to the next level - made up fiction which might be taken as fact by naive readers.
In the end your author decides to write about new characters, presumably because the pressing timeline allows only for a short piece. The author seems to think that it might be too difficult to write something worthwhile and new about the boys because of all that has already been written and because of the complexities of their characters/contradictions in their decisions.
At this point I cannot help but compare the writer's situation with today's fanfiction writers. Please, please, please don't turn to new characters, little selfish me wants to read more of your stories about the boys.
Your writing is so dense, every sentence full of meaning, and it flows beautifully and elegantly. I am pretty sure there is much more in there that I simply do not get. Even after reading your story several times, there are still sentences which seem so say something different each time I read them. I don't know how you do it - I am in awe.

RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 4:53 pm

I have to stop waiting till the end of the month to post comments. Sheesh! You guys are prolific!

Silverkelpie: I think you already know I like the Tibby story. I suspected the bloody mess was not human, but I'm still relieved to see I was right! So Tibby is a journalist working undercover on a story? My favorite line: "I'm not complementing you, I'm threatening you." But Heyes is interested anyway in Tibby's investigation. Trouble will ensure, I'm sure!

Keays: You're right, it was a perfect fit for this month's challenge. I felt sorry for Heyes in this scene. he finally can get something he's dreamed about for years, and he still doesn't get it!

Stepha3nie: Congratulations on joining in! And what a fun story, too. I love the dog's comments/ reactions. The reasoning for the name of "Coffee" was perfect.

Riders 57: Can't decide if I prefer to be rolling in the blue sea or enjoying chocolate and coffee. Mmm... good either way. I like the unexpected twist that the sisters were twins.

Keays: I can see where the warmth and taste of coffee on a night like that would tempt our boys. You sure made it sound appealing. And yeah, they can always figure out a plan for later, but it's going to be tough. That is one smart sheriff.

Inside Outlaw: OK, now I can't wait for Heyes' revenge! I love me an outlaw days story.

Javabee:  Now you've got me wondering, how long have espresso machines been around anyway? "Heaven in a cup" for sure! Java Sue sounds like a wonderful person to know.

Gringa:  Very believable. And a good question at the end: what if somebody had stopped Heyes and Curry early on, maybe even helped them? They didn't help this young couple much, but they did prevent them from getting into greater trouble. That's not the way to start a life together.

StormR:  Good advice, StormR, but, as you said, if Heyes made good coffee, what would we write about?. This is a light-hearted, entertaining entry. Yep, give Wheat the last cup, and he'll really have grounds for his unhappiness.

Remuda: I think you echo what a lot of us have felt. but you still gave us all -- well, me, maybe not everyone -- a few ideas for future stories.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lunartidemassageandangeltherapy.com
Remuda

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 9:38 pm

Silverkelpie
Ah, new material on Tibby.  This latest installment pulls us deeper and deeper into what seems a thick plot, full of turns and surprises.  I'm as curious as the boys to see where this will go.  Love the wordplay emanating from "offal," and this line especially, "We all thought a mad axe man was on the loose, now it seems more like a pair of prissy writers havin’ a hissy fit.”  Looking forward to the next part. 

Keays
As with others, I continue to be amazed at how you can find just about anything to fit the challenge prompts within TOF.  This was a fun snippet, and I found it most interesting how Lisa took such care with her newly released customers.  Better to watch out for them now so they're repeat customers in future.  Not a bad strategy. 

Stepha3nie
This is fun.  Like the logic of the dog's being a perfect cover for the boys; makes a lot of sense.  Fun how Heyes came to the dog's defense when they recalled how he had spooked Heyes' horse, tumbling its rider into the stream.  Perhaps the dog was showing remorse when he cuddled up to Heyes to keep him warm afterwards.  "Coffee" surely is a one-of-a-kind name for a dog.  I like how he participated in his naming; he's got a lot of personality.  Will we see him again?  All in all, a lovely introduction to your writing, and congrats on your first story.  Hope to see many more from you. 

Riders
What a vivid dream Jayce had!  I had a feeling where it might be going with the blue descriptions, and then with coffee brown added to the mix, it was unmistakeable.  So will it be brown and blue, or blue and brown for them?  Presume they're teenaged if they're working the cafe, so they're noticing men, and I'm sure we can all agree they have wonderful taste.  Very cute!

riders57

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 6:35 am

Storm -- So even Heyes' inner storm is dissing his coffee, huh?  LOL.  Cute take on the prompt and glad to see you posting.  Love the reference to the various old coffee recipes.

Remuda -- such lofty language to describe writer's block.  I like the review of the stories oft told and the fact that the individual portions of their lives while common in themselves add up to the unique characters that we love so well.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptySat Sep 06, 2014 7:25 pm

Finally getting to finish up August:

Gringo - At first, I had written this to GringA, but then I went back to look and my suspicion was correct in that I had made a mistake. For that I apologize. Now then, GringO, I always love seeing stories from new writers. I sure thought that waitress was stalling them for the sheriff. But as it turns out, they end up helping a young couple not get the wrong start to their life. Congrats on finishing your first story. It's amazing that you done it in a second language!

Storm - Good to see an entry by you too. Poor Heyes. He can't catch a break on his coffee. Love the idea of giving Wheat the last cup. He should always do that. Cute story!

Remuda - Nice short story on the thought process a writer may go through trying to write something new on a common subject. Like the line, '...the glory and glamour of a genius and a fast draw'. Maybe the author's bunny will hop soon.

Last edited by hannaheyes on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Remuda

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 6:32 pm

Keays 2
So the boys gave up for a cup of coffee?  I don't blame them, though, as cold and wet to the bone as they were.  The conditions, of the weather and the boys, are palpably described.  Have to run for my own cuppa to keep the chill away.  Well done!

Inside Outlaw
Nicely written account of lost pride and anger.  Love the descriptive narration; it let us in to the scene and all going on within it in a very sensory way.  Can see both boys' sides, but ultimately Heyes is right; they'll have to go after them.  Is this the beginning to another, longer adventure?  Would love to read more. 

Javabee
A very different approach to Heyes' coffee than we've heard all these years.  The new coffee skills seem a metaphor for amnesty, a new beginning.  These lines are fun, “I’m afraid Joshua might be right ma’am. He likes his mornin’ coffee so strong, it wakes up the neighbors.” and “We need to learn how to make good coffee while we’re on the run…, I mean travelin‘, ma’am.”  Cute story. 

Gringo
This is a wonderful idea for a story, Gringo, and very nicely written and paced.  A "what if" in retrospect, giving the boys pause.  You built the tension nicely in the beginning.  I held my breath waiting for a lawman to show, and then the click.  Very good first effort, and congratulations on posting -- that's the hard part.  Hope to see more from you. 

Storm
Another fun story!  Cute how Storm lost her train of thought and stammered as she got lost in Heyes' voice, and fun to realize that with everything they carry in those magic saddlebags, Heyes didn't think a pod would fit.  And just what is it besides tobaccy in Kyle's teeth?  One could get lost in imagining.  LOL!  Love the suggestions on coffee-making and Heyes' thinking about using them, and Kid's admission that maybe his partner's coffee isn't so bad after all.  And oh to be the fly on the wall (tree?) when Wheat gets the last cup!  Perhaps his bellow will be muffled in light of who the coffee maker is.  Loved it!

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 5:40 am

Hunkeydorey - Loved this story first time around and it fits the prompt perfectly.  Yes, was all this really necessary?  Yes, if you look at the end of the story (I don't want to ruin the end for anyone who hasn't read it), but I'm sure that little boy might think otherwise when he was a fully grown man.

Last edited by Silverkelpie on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 7:25 am

HunkeyDorey: Cute!  Yes, I can see where this might work out for a frustrated uncle. After all, who's going to punish a child?
Back to top Go down
http://www.lunartidemassageandangeltherapy.com
Stepha3nie

Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 7:10 pm

Hunkeydorey: I loved your story from the moment I read it the first time. You had me laughing out loud. It was a really nice surprise to encounter it again in the monthly challenge. It fits perfectly and I think in more than one way. I love Ben's desperate patience, the boy's determination, and you really had me surprised with the ending. Doubly surprised. From reading Gringa's original story, I had an inkling what might come in the end, but the person/reason behind it was a surprise. I had suspected something along the lines of a practical joke, but your version was even better.

riders57

riders57

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 5:37 am

Already falling behind in the commenting this month, sheesh.

Hunkeydorey -- I remember Gringa's original story and really enjoyed your rewrite.  Like Stepha3nie, I, too, suspected Jimmy's motivation was different than it proved to be.  Very cute surprise ending.

NancyWhiskey -- you may well win the shortest story award -- so much said in so few words.  Clapping hard. applause
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 6:52 am

HunkeyDorey:  Love this one.  The ending is hilarious and I can't help feeling that poor Ben is tormented almost as much as his character.  

Nancy Whiskey:  Short, to the point, and perfect for the prompt.   cheers

“The purpose of life isn’t to arrive at death in perfect condition but to slide into it sideways with your hair mussed, your clothes disheveled, a martini in one hand and chocolate in the other, shouting ‘Whooeee, what a ride!’”--Hunter S. Thompson
Back to top Go down
Stepha3nie

Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 6:55 am

NancyWhiskey:   Definitely worthy of a shortest story award! clapping

Kudos. Indeed a very short story, but you packed it full. I can see it: happy Heyes, slightly disgruntled Kid, both covered in mud... Of course, now I am curious what scheme led them to a fight and this mudbath.
(For some reason I keep thinking of the famous mudfight in the John Wayne movie "North to Alaska")

Oh, and thank you for helping me fulfill my biggest ambition since starting to post comments on this forum: my comment is finally longer than the story! Very Happy

Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 8:12 am

Nancy Whiskey - Definitely wins the shortest story, but it's very visual and certainly tells a story.  You just know they deserved it!  Good one.  I haven't any mud, but this is the nearest I can find.  chocolate dipped

Nancy Whiskey

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 4:20 am

Thank you SK, and I love the smiley.  If I can't have the boys covered in mud, then the boys covered in chocolate works for me!!!

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 9:31 am

NancyWhiskey:
Somewhere in there lies a another successful Hannibal Heyes plan that somehow made getting covered with mud well worthwhile. Nice.
bye

Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 9:41 am

Hunkeydorey: 
Fun rewrite of the original. The ending was a surprise and gave me a chuckle. Also a good choice for the prompt. Thanks HD.
Very Happy

Stepha3nie

Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 4:26 pm

InsideOutlaw: Yay! A continuation of your story! That is the best birthday present I could have wished for  Very Happy 
And what a day the boys have to get through - hangover for Heyes, moody partner for Kid, biting flies, getting shot at, falling/jumping/being whacked off their horses, splashing around in mud and not being able to get it off before going to bed. But at least there are also some positive things. The kind loans from Preacher and Wheat (even though Wheat won't be happy with the extra ventilation), getting Heyes out of his brooding with singing - he does love singing, doesn't he? Thanks for including some verses, and thanks for not including all of them. Good to see that the boys are still able to see the funny side of their mishaps. Now they really have to catch up with Will and co. Can't wait how it will play out, will Will have more tricks up his sleeve? Aren't the mules slowing the thieves down? Will the thieves make it to the fort and sell Heyes' and Kyle's horses and things?  Great story!
The flies reminded me of some unpleasant encounters with horseflies. They even bite through thick jodhpurs and the bites remain swollen, painful and itchy for days! On one occasion my horse had enough (of the horsefly bites) and bolted; right into an old apple tree orchard. Believe me, it is very hard and quite painful to stay with your horse when it is running through old apple trees (and I left some hair, skin and blood behind)... Give me willows any time ;-)

Javabee

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 7:57 pm

InsideOutlaw: Such a pleasure to see this story continued. The detail you include brings everything to life. From the heat, the bugs, and the bumps in the trail, to the breeze and Kid working to uplift Heyes spirits, it creates such a clear backdrop for your story. It appears the boys are up against some tricky adversaries. Looking forward to the sequel.
bounce

Last edited by Javabee on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
riders57

riders57

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 8:02 am

InsideOutlaw -- a good continuation of your story.  Lots of details to ponder.  Love the idea of singing to lift the spirits.  It will be interesting to see how the boys finally get the best of this wily nemesis.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Applause and Feedback   Applause and Feedback - Page 23 Empty

Back to top Go down

Applause and Feedback
Page 23 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next