Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Deadly Document - Part 6

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tabumin

Tabumin

The Deadly Document - Part 6 Empty
PostSubject: The Deadly Document - Part 6   The Deadly Document - Part 6 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 6:00 pm

Tara was thrilled to tears when Heyes and Curry knocked for her to let them in.  She fumbled getting the chair out from under the knob and unlocking the door.  She fiercely hugged them both when they came in, then sheepishly stepped back and let them briefly fill her in on what happened.  The men then cleaned their guns while Tara fidgeted between looking out the window and pacing back and forth.

Finally it was time.  Heyes pulled the bible cover from between the bed mattresses, removed the document and slipped it under his vest into his right shirt pocket.  They all left the room together.

The Deadly Document - Part 6 Z

“We want you to go to the sheriff’s office and wait,” Heyes told her as they reached the street outside the hotel.  “He won’t be there, but his deputy is.”

“He’ll keep a good eye on you,” Curry assured her.  “You’ll be safe there.”

Tara took a deep breath, looking from one man to the other.  “I don’t know what I would have done without you,” she said, solemn with gratitude.  She leaned up and kissed Curry on the check, and then Heyes.  “Please, be careful.”

“We will,” Curry nodded with a smile.  “And we’ll be back before you know it.”  Tara stood and watched as the two men mounted their horses and rode away down the main street.

The Deadly Document - Part 6 2Q==

Strutford was pacing a few yards from the cabin when Heyes and Curry rode up.  They quickly dismounted and walked towards him.

“That the $2,000?” Heyes asked, pointing at the bag Strutford carried.  Curry stood easy with his hand resting lightly on his gun belt while Heyes waited for an answer.

“It’s here.  All of it.” Strutford growled, opening the bag and revealing the money within.  “You got the document?”

“I sure do,” Heyes said with a big smile, patting the right side of his vest.  “But I gotta ask. 

Why did you send that boy to our room?  We had a deal, and it didn’t do you any good.”

“I wanted to know where she was.  The boy described you.  I figured that’s where she was, and the document.”

“You figured wrong,” Heyes told him.

“And you ruined a perfectly good bible too,” Curry added.

“I do what I have to do,” Strutford answered.

“Like kidnapping me?”  Heyes asked smoothly.  “And killing her father?”

Strutford glared at Heyes.  “That’s right.  And that should tell you,” he said slowly in a cold, steely voice, “that I am not about to let anything get in the way of reclaiming that document.  So you better hand it over right now.”

Suddenly two shots whizzed by Heyes from behind.  He and Curry spun around to see Tara standing out in the open, the Derringer still in her hand.  Snapping back to Strutford, they saw rage on his face and a gun in his hand, aimed at Tara.  Curry drew and fired, hitting Strutford in the leg and felling him, but not before he got off a wild shot, hitting Heyes in the arm.

“That’s enough!” bellowed a deep, commanding voice, followed by several shots in the air.  The burly sheriff stood at the open door of the cabin, gun in hand.  “I’ll shoot the next man…or woman…that moves.”

The Deadly Document - Part 6 9k=

“Why did you come after us with the gun?” Curry asked Tara the next morning outside the hotel.  He and Heyes were packed and ready to leave.  “Didn’t you think we could handle him?”

“I…I knew I’d never be safe while Michael was alive,” Tara admitted.

“Well, that was a pretty brave thing you did,” Heyes said, “except for the fact that you missed Strutford completely and coulda shot me.”  He glared down at her.

“Will you ever forgive me?” she entreated.

“Well, I already have.”  Heyes smiled.

“The sheriff being at the cabin, that was your doing, wasn’t it?” Tara asked.

“I figured he’d come in handy.” Heyes said. 

“I thought you two might stay for the trial,” Tara said hopefully.

“You don’t need us,” Heyes said.  “Strutford’s in jail, and the sheriff has the document, and your father’s diary. And he heard Stratford admit to killing your father.”

“Don’t worry, Tara.” Curry smiled.  “It’ll be all right.”

Tara smiled up at him.  “I know it will be, now.”  She turned to Heyes.  “I’m so sorry you were hurt because of me.  How is your arm?”

“It’s only a scratch,” Heyes braved, flexing his bandaged arm.

“I don’t know how I can ever begin to thank you,” Tara said.

“We were glad to help.” Curry smiled.

“Things were getting kinda dull anyway.” Heyes added.

“Maybe this will help,” she smiled, pulling an envelope out of her travel bag.  She handed it to Heyes who peeked in to see a wad of hundreds.

“You don’t have to do this, Tara.” Heyes said with surprise, handing the envelope back to her.

“Of course I do,” she said, pushing it back towards him. “$2000, right?  That was the price Strutford agreed to?”

“It sure was,” Curry said.  “But…”

“Well, then, that’s what you deserve.  Please, take it.”

“All right, we will.”  Heyes smiled.  “Thank you.”

“I’ll never forget you,” she added.  She leaned up and kissed Heyes, and then kissed Curry too.

“Bye now,” Heyes said as both men mounted their horses.  Tara stood and watched as they waved a last time and then, urging their horses into a gallop, away down the road leading out of town.  She never would forget them.

Fini!
Back to top Go down
http://www.funandmoneytravel.com
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: The Deadly Document - Part 6   The Deadly Document - Part 6 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 7:22 am

A big pat on your back for a good, well-written tale!

“The purpose of life isn’t to arrive at death in perfect condition but to slide into it sideways with your hair mussed, your clothes disheveled, a martini in one hand and chocolate in the other, shouting ‘Whooeee, what a ride!’”--Hunter S. Thompson
Back to top Go down
Stepha3nie

Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: The Deadly Document - Part 6   The Deadly Document - Part 6 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 8:17 am

applause 
Nice! Good showdown. On first reading you could take everything at face value. Well, until the sheriff stepped out of the cabin. But you did plant subtle hints that the boys had indeed not waited but installed a safety net. I had wondered why they knew Tara would only find the deputy in the sheriff's office and the conversation with Strutford seemed a little bit off. I love "But I gotta ask". Smooth Heyes, and the full truth. He had to ask so the sheriff could hear. Nice!
Tara turns action woman, but you keep it realistic. She comes armed with the wrong gun (a derringer at this distance?), doesn't hit her target (or luckily anything) and actually causes Heyes to get hit.
BTW, how did she manage to follow the boys without them noticing? Or did she simply follow the tracks?
Nice ending. The boys move on without telling, having made sure that justice will be done. Tara has ceased being a victim and found new self-assurance (and some taste - she kisses Heyes first). And she might be more careful with guns in the future.
And the boys get paid! Thank you! You don't see it happen in fan fiction too often, but in the first 33 episodes they got paid more often than not. It felt realistic, with both of them first refusing the money, but Heyes finally accepting it.
Very true last words. How could she ever forget them?

I guess if this were an episode, there would be an epilogue where the boys might resort to a coin flip once more...

Great story!

(And I envy IO for being able to put everything into one succinct sentence. Will I ever learn?)

Keays

Keays

PostSubject: Re: The Deadly Document - Part 6   The Deadly Document - Part 6 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 6:32 pm

We all love your detailed comments Steph! No need to change.

But I totally agree with InOut; great story and brought to a very satisfying conclusion.  Of course the boys got paid!  The gentlemanly thing to do is to refuse at first, but let's face it, they probably needed the money.  $2000 will buy a lot of steak suppers.

Looking forward to more stories from you.  Good show!
Back to top Go down
Stepha3nie

Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: The Deadly Document - Part 6   The Deadly Document - Part 6 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 6:45 am

Interesting Avatar picture, Tabumin. Very Happy Is that you doing bullriding?

Tabumin

Tabumin

PostSubject: Re: The Deadly Document - Part 6   The Deadly Document - Part 6 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 5:57 pm

lol not exactly - I was at the Cody WY rodeo and they had this lovely huge bull out front - they let us sit on him and take pictures :)

Part of the Wild West tour I went on two years ago.  Definitely want to go again !
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: The Deadly Document - Part 6   The Deadly Document - Part 6 EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 5:11 am

I've really enjoyed reading this story over the last week.  You gave us a good mystery tale. well- written and well-told and brought to a satisfying conclusion.  I enjoyed Tara having a bit of emotional engagement with her anger in the last part, even if poor Heyes came off worse because of it.  Great story  applause

Tabumin

PostSubject: Re: The Deadly Document - Part 6   The Deadly Document - Part 6 EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 7:26 am

Thanks everyone for your comments!  I had such fun writing it.  

The coin flip at the end?  Where to go next, Heyes?  lol

So glad you enjoyed the story.  I have another one coming soon...stay tuned!
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: The Deadly Document - Part 6   The Deadly Document - Part 6 EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 9:43 am

This was very well-written and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Tara was a nice character. And everything wrapped up nicely at the end. Thanks for posting this :)

Tabumin

PostSubject: Re: The Deadly Document - Part 6   The Deadly Document - Part 6 EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 6:38 pm

Thanks HH - really glad you enjoyed the story.  Thanks for your comments!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Deadly Document - Part 6   The Deadly Document - Part 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Deadly Document - Part 6
Page 1 of 1