Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Day Twenty-two

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Keays

PostSubject: Day Twenty-two   Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:28 am

Left Virginia and carried on through West Virginia, Maryland (very briefly) and then on to Pennsylvania. First stop was Gettysburg.
Both of us are feeling a little burned out on battle sites by now, but once we got into Gettysburg you can't help but be drawn into it. Again, it is a very powerful place to be. I did not take very many pictures here as it is all so over-whelming and confusing! The battle lasted for three days I believe but it covered miles of landscape with so many different things going on at the same time. Very confusing.
Paul and I ended up taking a bus tour through the battle fields which was a good idea as then we had the guide talking us through the whole thing. Even then there was so much to see it was hard to take it all in. The one thing that has really been brought home on this trip is the immensity of the war. I already had some idea of it's devastation, but seeing these battlefields, so many all so close together and the carnage they left behind really brings it home.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gettysburg

This speaks for itself.

The whole town has maintained the same architecture from the war era. There are even some homes and buildings that still carry the bullet holes and cannon balls from the battles.

Again, just a few of the many sculptures and monuments placed here in honour of those who fought here. Interesting fact about the equestrian sculptures; four feet on the ground means that this particular general survived the battle, one raised hoof means he was injured and two raised hooves means he was killed.

General Reynolds, who was killed at Gettysburg. Note the two raised hooves.

Eric Hotz General Reynolds was offered command of the Army of the Potomac, but refused. Had he accepted, he may have survived the war. He was considered to be a very good General, but he shied away from politics, hense why he refused command of the army.

Note the dark round spot just left of the third floor window. That is a cannon ball.

More monuments.

I believe this is Little Round Top to the left and Big Round Top to the right.

A monument on Little Round Top

Looking down over the the battlefield from atop Little Round Top.

Showing Devil's Den, a section of rockery to the left on the road that loops away from the camera. It was said to be the home of a large snake named The Devil. The snake was probably wondering what all the ruckus was about.

In a painting done of this area during the battle, this whole ground right to the tree line is filled with men and horses and cannons etc. It was mayhem.

The Wheatfield, Devil's Den, The Peach Orchard, Culp's Hill, Cemetary Hill, Pickett's Charge. Names that are familiar to most of us, but to hear how all these places come together is an amazing story.

Eric Hotz Even with the rifles of the day, you could actually shoot anything that you can see from here quite accurately... assuming the soldiers of the day were actually trained to shoot accurately, which they were not.

• Another shot of Devil's Den. Eric Hotz, if you feel so inclined to fill in some of the details about this battle please feel free. This really is a place you need to get to. The Civil War is your specialty, but you really have no idea of the immensity of the place until you stand on this g round.

• Eric Hotz Its around 39 square miles... or so.

• Eric Hotz Devil's Den was covered by Daniel Sickles’ III Corps of the Army of the Potomac. He advanced too far forward -- by a full mile. As a result he left his flanks exposed, something that was noticed by both sides very quickly. Hood's Division slammed into the flanks forcing Sickles men back in disarray. Sickles had his right leg shattered by a cannon shot during the conflict -- he was not court-martialled for his failure at Gettysburg because of this wound. Recently, however, many researchers have concluded that Sickles' action may have saved the Union army by blunting the Confederate attack, by diluting it. I am in favour of this view. The Smithsonian Museum has Sickles' leg on display (the shattered bone). Quite impressive actually. Sickles visited his leg every year after the war.

Just some familiar names. On our way to Philly.

Back to top Go down
Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Day Twenty-two   Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:00 am

I can imagine you are getting a little "battle-weary". It is one thing to be interested in history, read about it, watch documentaries,... - take it in intellectually, but it can be a very different experience visiting the actual places, putting yourself in the spot and getting a tangible connection to the events.
Walking across "Custer Battlefield" along the Little Bighorn definitely gave me a new understanding.
What a journey, how much you'll be taking home. Still feeling a little jealous here.
I hope you'll continue to have a fantastic holiday.

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day Twenty-two   Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:16 pm

The Little Big Horn is is definitely hallowed ground.  I have been there twice now and both times were heavy with the presence of the past.  You can't help but speak in whispered tones as you walk the miles of the battle field.  Hardly a 'last stand' as the movies tried to make it.  'Custer's Last Stand' was actually a running, frantic battle!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Day Twenty-two   

Back to top Go down

Day Twenty-two
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1