Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Day twenty-one

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Keays

PostSubject: Day twenty-one   Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:58 pm

Showing the battle field at Yorktown.

The trenches. How these were made; the soldiers (in summer heat, wearing wool uniforms) would cut down branches and weave baskets about three feet high and three feet around. These they would fill with dirt and line up in a row about three or four deep, then cover them all with more dirt. They would then cut down small tress and stack them along the man-made embankment, then cover with more dirt, and then turf along the top. They way they hoped to make a discreet barrier than would withstand the onslaught of cannon fire.

This was our guide for the battle field. She was great and really got into her topic. The history of Yorktown, if you don't already know it, is well worth reading up on. It is the battle, despite all odds won the revolutionary war for the Americans. If you folks aren't careful, this Canuck is going to know more about your history than you do!

I could have shown you more pictures of cannons etc., but I figure you've seen enough of those. We took a walk into the actual town of Yorktown which is still almost like a step back into history.

Looking out into Chesapeake Bay.

Some of the homes in Yorktown.

Had dinner at a pub on the bay. It was raining just a little bit, but we didn't mind. It helped to cool things off.

The schooner getting set for it's final bay tour of the day.

And there she goes.

Oh dear. Kind of blurry again. No, I haven't had too much wine---well maybe just a bit. The trolley to take us back up to the parking lot stopped running at five so we were kind of stuck. We were just about to call for a taxi when we were spotted by a couple from Georgia whom we had been talking to up at the battle field. They offered to drive us back to the parking lot. They were just sitting down to dinner so we order more drinks and joined them. Had a great conversation with them and ended up exchanging email addresses etc. Good day all in all.

Back to top Go down
Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Day twenty-one   Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:16 am

You really seem to soak up all kinds of history and have selected great places to do so. Your travels have already made me read up on historic events more than once.
Love the picture of the schooner under sail. And I like your last picture. Night pictures give you a chance to "paint" with lights.

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day twenty-one   Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:47 am

Oh, I like that Steph.  Fortunately both me and Paul love history.  I want to do Canada next!
Back to top Go down
Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Day twenty-one   Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:41 pm

Hmmmm, for some reason I can't see this last batch of photos.   Sad   scratch   confused

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day twenty-one   Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:44 pm

I've already deleted them from photobucket.  But you can see them over on my facebook page can't you?
Back to top Go down
Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Day twenty-one   Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:19 am

Oh yes, I'll look over there! TY

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day twenty-one   Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:39 am

This is odd.  Last night when I checked I could see all but the last picture and now I don't see any of them.  The computer was being really temperamental when I posted these, so I will re post these on photobucket and try to post again tonight.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Day twenty-one   Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:54 am

Hi, Keays. The images are only hosted via photobucket, so if you delete them on there they won't show.
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day twenty-one   Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:25 pm

What!?  I've deleted all my photo's off of photobucket.  I was running out of room.  Is nothing showing up now?  If that's the case then you're going to have to go to my facebook page because I sure am not going to upload all those photos again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Day twenty-one   

Back to top Go down

Day twenty-one
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1