Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Day thirteen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Keays

PostSubject: Day thirteen   Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:54 pm

Heading for Baton Rouge.

Thought I would take a picture of the rest stop in Texas.  They were all very clean and neat, with interesting architecture.

On the outskirts of Houston.  Yikes!  I thought Vancouver was bad.

Coming in to Houston

Coming in to Louisiana

Lake Charles

Louisiana is very green and lush. And with good reason.

Henderson Swamp

We crossed over at least five rivers, two lakes and a whole lot of swamp land connecting it all together.

This overpass went on for about 20 miles as we crossed over the swamps. Not a very inviting place down below. Not a good place to take Karma for a walk as it would be very likely that neither one of us would ever be heard from again. Before the highways were built I can see how one would almost have to have a boat if you wanted to go anywhere. I didn't have to see them to know that there were poisoness snakes and gaters down there.

Yes, more rivers and swamps

Spent the night just outside of Baton Rouge.  Even had some time to check in on chat for a few minutes.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Day thirteen   Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:59 am

Oh, Baton Rouge? You're covering some very interesting ground, Keays
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Day thirteen   Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:10 pm

What a contrast to the pictures of desert only a few days ago. From cowboys to cajuns. I heard so many things about Southern cuisine - have you tried any local specialities?

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day thirteen   Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:34 pm

Had Chicken and Dumplings today.  Paul was in heaven.  I've had some deep fried catfish.  That was good too.  Unfortunately everything seems to get deep fried in the South!
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day thirteen   Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:21 pm

Going to the Vicksburg battle monument.

Showing areas of the battlefield

Union guns

The Shirley house. The only original building still standing. The people who lived here were actually Union sympathizers and their son joined the Union fight right at his doorstep. This house was taken over to become an on site hospital.

Major General John "Black Jack" Logan.

Walking in to the large monument built to honour all the fallen soldiers.

Looking up through the open ceiling.

Looking out over the battle field.

Here it is from the outside.

More markings showing the locations of different regiments.

The building where the terms for surrender were signed.

Monuments dedicated to the negro soldiers.

U.S. Grant

What the woods were like back then. Imagin fighting in wool uniforms in temperatures rising over 100 with the humidity about the same.

Showing the size of just one of these guns. the opposing sides could see each other across the battlefield and there were dozens of guns. This particular battle lasted 45 days.

Ironclad the USS Cairo.

This ironclad was hit by a torpedo and this photo shows the hole that was blasted in its side. The ship sank in about 31 seconds and yet everyone survived.

Side guns on the Cairo

The boilers

Looker towards the stern from inside the Cairo

Showing the outer iron plating.

One of two pistons that move the wheel

The paddle wheel at the back of the ship.

And yes, we have found a new favourite restaurant. Doesn't look like much but they really know how to grill a steak.

River boat on the Mississippi

There is so much more to the Vicksburg site that there is no way I can post everything. The battlefield is huge and the fighting went on for more than a month so the information there is very extensive. We were only there for about four hours, but you could easily spent two days going over everything. Especially you Eric Hotz! I kept hearing your voice in my head telling us about all the little inside stories about each of the sites and monuments!
We were going to visit Shiloh as well but decided that it was pretty much the same as Vicksburg and Paul really wants to spend some time at Williamsburg, so we passed by Shiloh.
We are in Jackson Tennessee now and not sure what we have planned for today. Maybe just follow our noses.
Note; Ever since going through Jackson Mississippi, the song 'Jackson' sung my Johnny Cash has been running through my head. Thankfully it is a good song.
Back to top Go down
Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Day thirteen   Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:24 am

Wow. I guess being on the site gives you a different understanding of what happened, brings it closer. I can't help but feel sorry for the innocent civilians of Vicksburg who became victims of the siege, having tens of thousands of shells lobbed at them and losing their property, some even their lives...
The monument to the fallen soldiers looks like a small version of the pantheon in Rome - do you happen to know if it was modeled after it?
On seeing the name Jackson I thought immediately of the song too. I agree, it is a good song.
Hope you have a good time following your noses.

Keays

PostSubject: Day eighteen   Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:54 pm

One thing I found interesting about Mississippi is that the state is known for its cotton plantation and yet we saw no cotton fields until we were getting close the the Tennessee boarder. After we crossed into Tennessee we were seeing cotton fields all over the place.

Can't really see the sign. Sorry. We're coming up on Nashville though.  Opps, sorry.  Wrong photo.  We're not posting Virginia yet.  I'll get to it eventually.  The countryside all looks the same anyway.

Cotton fields! Just crossed into Tennessee.

Some nice homes along the way. Also passed a town called 'Coffeeville'. That one's for you JavaBee!

Kind of blurry, with my reflection but still shows the first signs of Fall in the trees. Evenings starting to get cooler.

Here we are at the Carnton Plantation. This is the site of the Franklin battle during the Civil War. It is considered to be the bloodiest 5 hours of the whole war. There is too much history here so I am posting a link for those of you who are interested in reading up on it.

http://www.carnton.org/carnton_history.htm

A series of photo's showing the slaves quarters.

Not the slave's quarters. The most frustrating thing about visiting these amazing homes is that we are not allowed to take pictures inside. All of the rooms are furnished with period pieces and some are the originals that were in the home at the time of the war.

The walk way into the gardens. I wasn't thinking here. There is a confederate cemetery here on the property where all the confederate soldiers who died in this battle are buried. Rows of white markers are all that remain of the 1,500 confederates who died here.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day thirteen   Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:10 pm

Belle Meade
Some pics of a re-enactment group on the grounds of Belle Meade. It wasn't really hot on this day, but even at that we felt for these fellows having to wear those awful wool uniforms.
Some shots of the front of the main house. They also had a very fine winery and wine tasting included in with the tour. Of course we bought a couple of bottles.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day thirteen   Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:46 pm

The Hermitage, Home of Andrew and Rachel Jackson

The Hermitage: Home of Andrew and Rachel Jackson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hermitage_%28Nashville,_Tennessee%29
Sorry Elvis fans; no interest in going to Graceland or to the Grand Ole' Opray. Not a big fan of country music. Both me and Paul are more interested in history.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day thirteen   Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:06 pm

Statues of Rachel and Andrew Jackson.

Pictures of the grounds above. This property is enormous. Makes the other plantations look like shacks.

One of the guides. Great sense of humour this man. He really gets into his job.

Magnolia blossom

Magnolia tree

The back door

Pearl wooden door.

Slave quarters again. Apparently this plantation owned 175 slaves. By the time the Civil War was over all but one had left to find their 'fortunes' as free men and women. The one who remained was called 'Uncle' Alfred (I think) and he never left the plantation even after the Jacksons no longer lived there. When the property was turned over to the state as a park, he became the first tour guide. He is buried in the family cemetery on the property.

The pair of Percherons who pull the tour wagon.

This is the water shed. Slaves had to carry all the water needed for running the household from this stream up to the main house. About 1/4 of a mile.

Rachel Jackson's tomb (and Paul)

The gardens

Heading out of Nashville.

Mountains!! I've missed the mountains. These are the beginning of the Appalachians.

Welcome to Virgina.  On to Williamsburg.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day thirteen   Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:08 pm

I don't know how these postings ended up under Day Thirteen, but we are not going back in time.  We are on days eighteen and nineteen here.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Day thirteen   Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:14 am

Glad you're having a wonderful trip Keays! You were kinda close to my neck of the woods there for a while. I don't know where you're at now, but if you're close and since you like history, you might like Cumberland Gap where Daniel Boone opened up exploration to the then 'western' states of Kentucky and Tennessee. The park is mostly nature related, but is beautiful.

By the way, my hubby is really enjoying seeing your pictures from out west as much as I did :)

PostSubject: Re: Day thirteen   Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:32 pm

Thanks Hannah, good to hear.  Hubby and I are now at Gettysburg.  We'll be spending most of today here then heading north tomorrow afternoon.  Not sure where we'll end up.  I know Paul wants to swing by his old neighbourhood in Warminster so that's probably next on the agenda.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Day thirteen   

Back to top Go down

Day thirteen
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction  :: Discussions and Suggestions :: Questions and Banterings-
Jump to: