Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Day twelve

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Keays

PostSubject: Day twelve   Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:20 am

We're heading towards San Antonio and The Alamo. Still partially overcast and not as hot as it could be, but still hot enough for us. I quite liked New Mexico and Texas as both states are much greener than I imagined. Again, heavily influenced by Hollywood where the only places they seemed to film westerns was in California or Utah so everything was always desert. Texas is beautiful, just no mountains.

The monument outside the gates to the Alamo.

Some gardens inside the courtyard.  Unfortunately so much of the really interesting things to see here were inside a museum and we were not allowed to take pictures.  Uniforms and personal items belonging to James Bowie, Davey Crockett, William Travis and Santa Anna were on display and that's where they stayed.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day twelve   Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:28 am

Arriving at the Alamo. It was interesting and disappointing all at the same time. This site is right smack in the middle of downtown San Antonio so parking was a real bitch. Then getting on to the site was a zoo. Just way too many people crowding through. Really hard to relax and take the place in when ten other people are pressuring you to move on so they can see what you're looking at. I got a little tightening around the heart upon reading the names of all those who fell here but otherwise, nothing much else.
We went for dinner at an overpriced restaurant but then made the day by going for a carriage ride. I got to ride up front with the driver so yes, I was in heaven!

Horse and carriage waiting for a fare. Three of these rigs were parked outside our window at the restaurant and that was when we decided a carriage ride might be fun. Just as we were finishing up all three pulled out into the road and headed out. It was 5 o'clock so we presumed it was quitting time and we would have to delay our ride for another time. Then a fourth rig showed up and parked to wait. Apparently the night shift had shown up.

Here we go. The horse's name is Marty. The driver was Stephanie, I think. Don't quote me on that

Made a stop so I could climb up front. Apparently Marty has only been doing this for three months. He used to compete in pulling competitions so this is quite a change of careers for him. He is doing very well and handles the crowds and the traffic like a pro.

Marty is a Percheron in case any of you were wondering.

Note the 'heart' on his nose.

Back to top Go down
Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Day twelve   Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Thank you for another update. Still in ASJ country. Sorry to hear that the Alamo was so "overrun" (sorry). It has become such an important symbol - could any place ever live up to this?
I very much enjoy your detail about Percheron Marty and his little pink heart. Love the picture where he is looking back. Seems that someone is taking great pride in his appearance (not just scrubbing his coat clean), putting his mane in a lovely, heavy horse type of plait and also braiding up his tail. It would be far easier to just chop them up short. I am amazed how fragile and narrow the wheels look. You couldn't have gone far with them in the old West.

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day twelve   Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:44 pm

Yes.  Those wheels are definitely made for city streets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Day twelve   

Back to top Go down

Day twelve
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1