Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Day ten

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Keays

PostSubject: Day ten   Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:40 pm

Still moving out of California. Not too much to see along this route so mainly just showing the changes in landscape.

Coming in to Neddles California.  If ever a town suited its name....

Now I'm really bored.  I'm seeing faces in the clouds.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day ten   Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:07 pm

Finally escaped California and are now in Arizona. The rain continued to threaten and clouds took over for most of the day. By the time we got to Kingman, the rain was really coming down hard and we had to be careful with all the trucks on the highway. Still, it did cool things down a lot.

We didn't get to The Grand Canyon on this trip, but we did stop for lunch in Williams which is the gateway to the Canyon. With that in mind I will post a few pictures we took when we were here five years ago.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day ten   Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:04 am

Well, carrying on with our current trip. Despite the rain and cooler temperatures we carried on through Arizona and decided to take a short side trip to check out Tombstone. It seems that the whole town is a park site and people live in their homes and run their businesses right there in the middle of a western town and loads of tourists. Interesting for those who can find work there, but I doubt many of the children born here will stick around for long!

Got to talking with the stagecoach driver for a while. Of course we got talking about his horses. Jake and Jack are apparently half-brothers and they are of course, Clydesdale. Jake it seems has an eye that is half brown and half white. I took a look and for sure it is. A genetic slip that does sometimes happen when a horse as a fair amount of white on his face. Jake looked at me looking at him and seemed to think it was all rather boring.

They also had a number of people walking around town in period costume. Four mustachioed gentlemen dressed in black suites and sporting rifles were very obvious in their presence. And of course there was the token saloon gal. She even made a play for my husband!

Here is the courthouse

The sheriff's office

A plaque commemorating the site

The staircase leading up to the courthouse

The gallows.  Yikes

Just thought this was funny

The stagecoach driver telling me that the north end of a horse is far more interesting than the south end.  I was only after some reference shots for artwork.

So here are Jake and Jack who are apparently half brothers.  They are Clydesdales of course.  Apparently Jake as an eye that is half brown and half blue.  A simple example of genetics not sure which way to go when a lot of white is shown on the face.  Jake seemed rather bored with the whole process of me looking him in the eye

There were a number of people walking around town dressed up in period costume and talking to people about the history of the town etc.  Four mustachioed gentlemen wearing black suites and sporting rifles were very apparent on the streets.  Also there was the token saloon gal who seemed to be making a play for my husband.  Paul appears to be enjoying himself.

Now for a few more of the inevitable rain clouds.  At least it didn't rain while we were in Tombstone.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Day ten   Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:35 am

Was there there an old-fashioned cat-fight or did you shoot her, Keays?
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Day ten   Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:36 am

SK, My solution would have been to start flirting with one of the black-clad mustachioed gunnies...

Love the Grand Canyon pictures, even if they are not current. Standing at the rim looking over the landscape helps to put things back into perspective, doesn't it?
I guess you might want to blame the Hopi for the rain in Arizona. Their Kachina dances still seem to do the trick.
Never made it to Tombstone in 1992, so this was very interesting. I found the Coroner's report on the lynched man chilling. Self-inflicted strangulation?. Was he coerced or did he share the lynch mob's sentiment? I've seen pictures of John Heath's grave marker at Boot Hill, clearly stating he was lynched.
Another grave marker reads: "Here lies George Johnson, Hanged by mistake, 1882, He was right, We was wrong, But we strung him up, And now he's gone." Well, at least he got a poem, right?
No wonder our boys were so skittish about jails...
Loved the Clydesdales - have a very large soft spot for heavy horses. Aaah, is it Jack or Jake who seems a little camera shy?
Lol, the driver was obviously confused by you, such un-tourist-typical behaviour was not in his script...
Did you at least get the reference shot you needed? If any old horsey southern end will do - I took loads of pictures on trail ride holidays riding single file. That includes a one-week trail on Heavy Horses (Clydesdales, Shires and one Trait du Nord). Two of my pictures from that ride (not of horses bums) even made it into a calendar.

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day ten   Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:04 am

So many questions!

Sorry I haven't been on sooner, but we were visiting with Paul's brother Frank in Hattiesburg and unfortunately he doesn't have WiFi.  Oh the suffering!

Anyway, Hmm, like your suggestion of snuggling up to one of the black clad mustachioed, rifle carrying gunmen who roamed the streets.  Anyone there looking like Val Kilmer?  As it was, Paul knows his place and no cat hair flew on this occasion.

Actually I was going for the south end of a stage coach!  I think I have plenty of opportunities for south ends of horses.

John Heart was definitely lynched so it does make you wonder who the coroner thought he was fooling.  Self-induced strangulation indeed!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Day ten   

Back to top Go down

Day ten
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction  :: Discussions and Suggestions :: Questions and Banterings-
Jump to: