Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Day Four

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Keays

PostSubject: Day Four   Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:21 am

Now for the real reasons we came to Solvang. Monty Roberts is a horse educator who lives just outside of this little town on a large and serine property called 'Flag Is Up Farms'. Or as Paul inadvertently called it 'Jig Is Up Farms'. It is a beautiful facility and coming on to the property one cannot help but feel welcome and relaxed. It's clean, quiet and peaceful yet you know it is a first rate training/educating facility.

Monty developed his method of communicating with horses simply by watching horse behaviour, not only with the troubled horses brought to him for help, but also with the wild herds of mustangs that ran over the wide open spaces that he called his home.

Monty proved the worth of his technique by accepting a challenge to ride out and separate a young mustang from his band and gentle him right out there in the open spaces with no fences or retrains of any kind. I think it took him two days of following the wild one who was quickly named Shy Boy before Monty was able to ride up to him and touch him. It didn't take long after that, that Monty was able to get a saddle on him and have an assistant climb aboard.

11 months later, while out rounding up the cattle, Monty decided to release Shy Boy back to his original band in order to give the young mustang the opportunity to chose for himself which life he wanted. One evening they spotted the band of wild horses up on the ridge and Shy Boy was released. He took off like a shot to join his mates and everyone feared that this would be the last they would see of the colt.

That was not to be the case however, as the following morning, Shy Boy showed up again on that same ridge with his herd. He trotted towards the human's camp, stopped, took one look back to his herd and one look down to the campsite. It hardly took him a second to make up his mind and he broke into a gallop and came down the hill towards the camp site and the men whom he had bonded with.

Now Monty is busy giving clinics all over the world and developing programs and seminars for traumatized people and for large corporations to understand employee relationships better. Queen Elizabeth has summoned him at least three times to come to England and work with the 'royal' horses.

The difference between William Hearst and Monty Roberts was really made apparent when visiting their two different estates so closely together. Hearst was out of control with all his money. Big and better and more elaborate just to show that he could. But Monty's philosophy on life? He stated a number of years ago that all the profit he was now making from his clinics and merchandise he donates to various charities because he feels that he just doesn't need any more money.

Some of his weekend clinics he even offers for free, especially to those who are suffering from depression and trauma like first responders and war vets. along with horses and people who had suffered from emotional and physical abuse. He is truly one of Spirit's chosen children who came to this Earth to help others, human and animals alike to find a better way.

And if you haven't figured it out by now, yes I did name my horse in honour of him. I seem to name many of my animals after my heroes!

I have met Monty Roberts on a number of occasions when he was in my area giving clinics and I really did not expect to see him at the farm, but I did get the chance to meet another special soul; Shy Boy. He is twenty-one years old now and a real ham. He knows he's the king of the ranch and everybody is coming to see him and he absolutely loves the attention. I practiced some of my massage strokes with him and he seemed to greatly appreciate it.

For those of you who were asking about the average height of a mustang, well here he is and his height is pretty standard. Small and tough horses.

Here are some pics of Shy Boy and some other horses at the farm. Also the covered round pens where Monty starts all his new horses. There are also numerous, large grass paddocks and a full size race track for working with the racing Thoroughbreds.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day Four   Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:39 am

Back to top Go down
Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Day Four   Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:18 am

Oh, Keays, what a special treat. It looks like a wonderful place. Love the pictures of Shy Boy.
BTW Monty not only trained Royal racehorses - he is considered a friend of Her Majesty and is one of the few people allowed to call her and get patched through any time.
I greatly admire Monty Roberts, he is as you say a very special, gifted and sharing person.

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day Four   Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:52 am

Here's the link to the first video showing Monty's first encounter with Shy Boy.  Hope it opens alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhWI73fH54U
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Day Four   Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:25 pm

Guess what was right across the street from Flag Is Up? Yup, a winery! Not just any winery but a very good one. We went over for a wine tasting, bought some bottles and a couple of glass fulls, settled ourselves in the courtyard and pulled out the left-overs from last nights dinner.

A very pleasant way to send the afternoon before tackling the drive into LA tomorrow. Paul insists he needs sustenance before taking that on.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Day Four   

Back to top Go down

Day Four
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction  :: Discussions and Suggestions :: Questions and Banterings-
Jump to: