Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Keay's trip Days two and three

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Keays

PostSubject: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Okay, finally getting back to this! We've been busy. Day Two. Plans change, that's why they call it a vacation. Will hopefully be in LA by tomorrow afternoon which is already putting us two days behind schedule (oh, I'm writing this on day four for those of you astute enough to calculate that we can't possibly be two days behind when we've only been on the road for two days).

We actually did get in to Ashland but Paul was in too much of a hurry to stop. What I did see of that small town was very inviting though and I will be checking up on the Shakespeare festival for future reference. Sounds like that would be a lot of fun.

So these first shots are of us carrying on towards California, coming up over the summit just north of the state boarder, then approaching the boarder and into California.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:37 pm

A lot of these photos are mainly to show the changing landscape to those of you who don't know this area at all. Hopefully those of us familiar with it won't be too bored. Paul and I did a trip a couple of years ago that took us all the way along the Ca. coast and part of Oregon coast so I will post those as well as we go along.

In the mean time, here is Mt. Shasta and then driving through Shasta National Forrest.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Next we came upon Olive tree farms. Of course we had to stop in Corning Ca. at The Olive Pit for lunch and wine tasting. Very good wine and very nice lunch. Oh and we bought a jar of garlic stuffed olives as well.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Coming into Sacramento California and then more crops.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:47 pm

The contrasts from one side of the highway to the other is striking. One side is cultivated and watered for grapes and olives where as the other is left to it's natural desert state.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:49 pm

California has been suffering from severe drought conditions for quite a few years now, or perhaps it has been an on-going problem ever since the population outgrew what the desert could support. Signs all along the highway declaring 'No water=no jobs!', 'Congress created dust bowl', and 'Solve the water crisis!'. I tend to wonder what the residents of California expect when they're trying to crop crops in a desert but perhaps you Californians out there would have a better understanding of the situation than a Pacific Northwesterner!

Anyway, the state or at least this region of it must buy its water from other areas and use these aqueducts to keep this precious liquid flowing into the cities and possibly to irrigate the crops as well. Seems awfully precarious to me, almost like living on borrowed time. But then I suppose we all have to import certain products from somewhere else so maybe this isn't any different. Makes me glad that I live in a rain forest though.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:50 pm

We're definitely in California now!

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:51 pm

Ended up driving for about two hours longer than planned this evening. The highway just went on and on through miles and miles of nothing. When we did finally see signs of habitation, all the hotels (we even tried a Hotel 8 in our desperation--yuck!) were full. Back on the road again. Fortunately it was only another half hour when we came across another junction in the highways called Kettleman and found a little oasis--with a Best Western, and a room available!

Went across the street to this restaurant and got surprised on two different levels. First off, this appears to be a large, well organized family restaurant, but one you step inside it looks more like a high school cafeteria than a business. The floor was wide open with basic tables and chairs and a counter where you order light meals. Everything was paper plates and plastic forks and glasses, even for the wine. We felt dubious. The second surprise was the quality of the food. It was good. Paul says his pork ribs were on a level with Montana's (restaurant in Langley BC) and that's really saying something. We've never found ribs that compared to theirs, not even in the state of Montana! I had a grilled salmon salad that was equally as tasty.

Also the inside of the building was about three stories high with bannisters wrapping around the inner walls and doors made to look like rooms leading off the hallways. It reminded me of an old west saloon with the rooms for rent looking down over the open floor below.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:54 pm

Day three. Turned off I-5 and took 41 then 46 over to 101 heading towards Paso Robles.  Final shot here is of one of a few ranches or farms we past along 41. I have no idea how these people make a living.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:56 pm

This is driving me nuts (no pun intended)  Don't know why this is posting some pictures twice!  I'll try again for the homestead.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:57 pm

Loving the updates, Keays. Bth thumbs up
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:00 pm

Had planned on getting into Solvang tonight, but we got side tracked and headed up to see the Hearst Castle instead. Very green along this stretch of highway. Winery after winery all next door and across the street from one another. You can also tell you're getting closer to the coastline. The air is cooler and you can start to smell the ocean.

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:03 pm

That's it for me for a while today.  Paul and I are off to explore Solvang and then Flag Is Up stables, home of Monty's name sake; horse educator Monty Roberts.  I'll try to post more tonight.
Back to top Go down
Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:54 pm

Thank you Keays, for taking the time to post your updates. Feels like you're taking us along. Very Happy
I envy you a little (a lot to be honest, lol). Have fun at Monty Robert's place. A friend of mine had her horse worked by him. I have only seen him when he took part in the Royal Horse Show for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee (I think).

Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:20 pm

Enjoying your trip right along with you, Keays. Thanks for the photos and all your notes. Have fun!

Keays

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:46 pm

[img]http://i749.pho

Driving along this highway (101 I think. Hey Paul was driving), I spied a road sign stating 'Big Sur 78 miles'. Unfortunately it came up on us so fast that I didn't get the chance to get a picture then we turned off to go up to the Hearst castle before we reached another sign. Maybe next time.

Anyway, Hearst Castle. Holy cxxp! Talk about an embarrassment of riches. The first thing both Paul and I thought of was that he could have used that money for so many other helpful things but instead he chose to build this monstrosity. The grounds themselves, and the views are spectacular but the house itself is an extreme over-kill. A beautiful home for sure, but about ten times too big and too much. I'm posting quite a few pics of the grand rooms and artwork etc., but these are only a fraction of how much is actually there. Too many to take pictures of them all and certainly too many to post. If you want to learn more about the Hearst family dynasty you can google them. Most people here in North America know who they are. Especially after the Patty Hearst incident.

Anyway, here goes. You start out at the Visitor's center of course where everything is over-priced so all we bought here was an $11.00 glass of not so great wine, and a postcard. They have full size buses taking tourists and up the the castle every ten minutes and 'yes' all these buses are full. A bit of a harrowing ride as the road is quite narrow and steep and coming back down I was foolish enough to sit in the front seat. Still, I got some interesting shots.

[url=http://s749.photobucket.com/user/Brauneis1/media/IMG_0193_zps01630429.jpg.html]

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Brauneis1/IMG_0193_zps01630429.jpg" border="0" alt="" />

tobucket.com/albums/xx136/Brauneis1/IMG_0186_zps9de35d51.jpg[/img][/url]
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:08 pm

Heading back south again and getting some really nice shots of the coast line. I'll include some of the pictures I took the last time we traveled the coast line and some from the Redwood Forest as well, even though those are a bit out of context, the Redwoods being extremely north from where we are now.

Going through Atascadero, San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria on our way (finally) to Solvang. For those of you keeping track on a map.

Here's the extra shots from previous road trip. 'Carmel By The Sea' got us right down on the beach with the locals. Paul insists he is in shape! 'Buddha has a shape doesn't he?'

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:10 pm

Back to top Go down
Stepha3nie

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:55 pm

I can understand why you said Hearst castle was a bit much... Really nice coast pictures, and finally images of you. Love the Redwoods (even if the pics are from a different holiday). We have some here in the town where I live. 100 Sequoias line the Wellingtonia Avenue and are about the tallest/biggest/largest trees I have seen in the UK, but they are still "babies", only 151 years old...

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Wow, great pictures of your adventure, Keays! Thanks so much for posting. I hope things keep going well. Who's that by the tree?
HW
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:42 pm

I'm loving the pictures Keays! Hope you're having a fun and safe trip!

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:26 pm

I am doing the tour right along with you - and loving it!
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Glad you're having a good time, Keays, and thanks for taking us along with you.  The piccies of Hearst Castle sure bring back memories from my visit there 35 or so years ago -- still as gorgeous and gaudy as ever.  And the coast and redwoods are spectacular.  Looking forward to more.

PostSubject: Re: Keay's trip Days two and three   

Back to top Go down

Keay's trip Days two and three
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1