Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Civil War Stuff

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Civil War Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Civil War Stuff   Civil War Stuff EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 9:45 am

Civil War Stuff MaryOMelia_zps8644dcd1

I thought some of you may be interested in this picture.  It's of Mary O'Melia who was the confidant of Varina Banks Howell Davis, the Confederate First Lady through the Civil War and who was the housekeeper at their mansion.  It is extremely unusual to have pictures of servants at this time so this is quite a find.  This woman must have had a front row view to some incredible events.    

You can read more at the link below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2698376/Image-Confederate-White-House-housekeeper.html
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Stepha3nie

Stepha3nie

Civil War Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civil War Stuff   Civil War Stuff EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 8:16 am

While looking for information on food, I stumbled across this Civil War time recipe.
We have heard about the horrible drinks served as whisk(e)y. This explains how some was made.

CHEAP IRISH WHISKEY
(Makes About 30 Gallons)

30 gallons cheap whiskey, 80-90 proof
3 qt. tincture Grains of Paradise (see note 1)
2 ounces catechu (see note 2)
10 drops creosote (see note 3)
5 gallons water.

Oatmeal or rice, 3 parts
Wheat flour, 1 part
Combined, enough to fill a whiskey barrel about 1 ft. deep

See note 4 before actually assembling ingredients

Mix the whiskey, Grains of Paradise and water, then add the remaining ingredients. Pass through a bed composed of ground oatmeal, or of ground rice, of a mass composed of three parts of unground rice, to one part of wheat flour. This bed should be about twelve inches in depth, and for convenience can be arranged in an empty whiskey barrel. The spirit should pass with rapidity through the filter, and if it comes off too highly charged with starch, it should have clean spirit added until the starch becomes dissipated, or is not perceptible to the naked eye; or if the spirit should be too heavy, or cloudy, run through the sand filter alone until it comes out bright. The amount of flour necessary to impart the
desired flavor to the spirit, is not distinguishable to the naked eye; and neither should the liquor have the slightest tinge imparted to its original color.
From Manufacture of Liquors by Pierre Lacour, 1853

Note 1: "Grains of Paradise" is another name for pepper seeds, either guinea pepper or melegueta pepper. Cayenne would probably work about as well. Grind pepper and soak 1 to 1 and 1/2 lb. in a gallon of pure alcohol such as Everclear. Seal bottle tightly and soak for days or weeks as desired. Strain carefully to prevent muddiness, and add from one to two quarts to whiskey recipe above. This was a common method of making fake liquor seem stronger than it was, since the sting of the pepper simulated the bite of alcohol.

Note 2: Catechu is the bark of an East Indian acacia plant, recommended by Lacour for addition to fraudulent liquor as it constricted the throat like strong alcohol. Where you would find this today we have no idea, and no intention of investigating.

Note 3: Creosote is the stuff the use to coat telephone poles to keep them from rotting in the ground. Lacour's recommended dose was 60-80 drops per 100 gallons of fake booze. Unless you like drinking tar, the recommended dose is zero.

Note 4: Please read notes 1, 2 and 3. This is an authentic recipe of stuff that was made by cheating sutlers and sold to soldiers stuck in camp or field who were so desperate for a drink they would buy the godawfullest rot you can imagine. This recipe is included for historical interest ONLY and we trust our readers to have the good sense God gave a goat and not to actually make this dreadful stuff.

APothecary

APothecary

Civil War Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civil War Stuff   Civil War Stuff EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 2:03 pm

Acacia catechu is sometimes available in Indian shops (it seems to be regarded as something of a cure all and you can buy it by the kilo) if you really want to give the recipe a go, and I know where I can lay my hands on some creosote...

Stepha3nie

Stepha3nie

Civil War Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civil War Stuff   Civil War Stuff EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 3:03 pm

I think I'll stick to Irish Whiskey and Single Malts. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Civil War Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Civil War Stuff   Civil War Stuff Empty

Back to top Go down

Civil War Stuff
Page 1 of 1