Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What would they do if amnesty never came through?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Silverkelpie

PostSubject: What would they do if amnesty never came through?   Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:21 pm

RosieAnnie's story prompted me to bring up something which has been discussed by a few of us already but as we have so many new members here, I thought I'd bring it up here.

What do you think the boys would do if the amnesty never came through and how long would they wait?

I think they'd give it at least five years before deciding that it was never going to happen and by about eight years they'd probably give up a disappear.

I always thought they'd pull off a spectacular to get revenge on the Governor for making them play his games for so long.  They'd then retire somewhere safe with the money after embarrassing him.

I'm sure you all have your own take on it and we'd love to hear them.  We'd also love it if any of these prompted a plot bunny into a story. rabbit

PostSubject: Re: What would they do if amnesty never came through?   Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:41 pm

I've been thinking about this, and I believe the boys would last no longer than three years, maybe only two. I also think they would be fairly angry at being put off by the governor so long, and I think all bets would be off. I think Kid would be fed up enough and Heyes would be arrogant enough to try to make Lom and the governor still think they were working for amnesty, while they still lived the high life working cons on wealthy marks. Sure it would be hard at times to fool them, but who said it would be easy? I am sure the two of them could come up with a way to have their cake and eat it too. It just sounds like another Hannibal Heyes plan to me, only this time they might just end up free men as a bonus. What have they got to lose?  bounce

Stormr

PostSubject: Re: What would they do if amnesty never came through?   Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:52 am

I'm probably in the minority here but I think they just keep on going and doing what they've been doing - it's habit forming.  I think after a few years of not hearing about them, of them not doing any jobs, people will forget and move onto the next thing.  There wanted posters will be put in the background as new outlaws take over the spotlight.  The railroads will probably drop the reward on them - why pay out that kind of money if they aren't being hurt by Heyes and Kid?  Is there a statue of limitations?  Sloane in Wickenburg was free and clear.  I think they would continue using Smith and Jones and eventually when it suited them, they would settle down.
Back to top Go down
Hunkeydorey

PostSubject: Re: What would they do if amnesty never came through?   Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:08 am

I see Rosieannie as having it right in her story.  They were almost tempted to go back into flim-flamming in an episode and but I think they'd move on somewhere where they weren't known.  I think they've learned a lot about living honestly too, so I also think they'd go on the con until they had enough money to set themselves up somewhere to live a peaceful life in the end.
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: What would they do if amnesty never came through?   Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:21 am

Hi Storm, Wyoming has no statue of limitations for criminal acts, so no matter how long they waited they'd still be wanted in Wyoming.  The crimes they committed in other states would drop off eventually, but the lack of a statute of limitation in Wyoming is the reason they'd need amnesty from the Governor there to be free and clear.

PostSubject: Re: What would they do if amnesty never came through?   Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:03 am

Like, Storm, I see honesty as habit forming.  If they went back to a life of crime I see it as an act of desperation and simply to finance the rest of an honest life.  I like the idea of a spectacular to disgrace the Governor.  I do hope that gets written.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: What would they do if amnesty never came through?   Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:41 pm

Friscogirl wrote a story called Calling the Bluff that really sounded right to me.  It's posted on Fanfiction.net.  

I think they'd get angry after a few years of being put off by the governor and look for ways that weren't too hard on the back to get what they want.  During the course of the series, they often seemed to make a real effort at honesty, but they also lapsed back into relying on their outlaw skills when it suited them.  They'd do what was best for them..  

Maybe they'd switch to cons only or maybe they'd make one last, huge score and buy a comfortable life somewhere.

“The purpose of life isn’t to arrive at death in perfect condition but to slide into it sideways with your hair mussed, your clothes disheveled, a martini in one hand and chocolate in the other, shouting ‘Whooeee, what a ride!’”--Hunter S. Thompson
Back to top Go down
Gringa

PostSubject: Re: What would they do if amnesty never came through?   Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:51 pm

There seem to be quite a lot of us who think that they would get tired of waiting and conduct a robbery or con which would allow them to settle down.  I agree with that too.
Back to top Go down
Niekx

PostSubject: Re: What would they do if amnesty never came through?   Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:47 pm

I tend to think that being and living honest is a habit the boys would not easily drop again. And if they would decide to quit trying, would it be like stopping with a diet or start smoking again? I mean would they say to each other "Ah, we come such a long way, let's try just one more day and then quit". I don't know. I tend to think that such a "one day more" philosophy could last a long time, even more then 5 years.

I do believe however that should the Governor pull something on them or confess he would never grant them the amnesty they would go back to robbing or pull one very big con and leave for unknown places all together.

PostSubject: Re: What would they do if amnesty never came through?   Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:52 pm

I like to think that honesty got to be a habit with our boys -- at least, what they define as honesty. I think their definition could best be characterized as "loose" or "convenient." After all, larceny is as natural to them as breathing.

Whatever job they might have, I think they'd find it hard to work for someone else. They are both to accustomed to being in charge. Reporting to a boss might be very difficult.

Heyes' verbal gifts would make him a terrific salesperson. Other possibilities; lawyer, teacher, reporter, writer, politician, stockbroker. He is a natural extrovert and thrives on people contact. A desk job, like accountant, would never work for him.

Kid is more of an introvert. He has quiet strength, and that gives me the impression of someone steady and reliable. The perfect partner/foil/balance for Heyes, of course. I think Kid would be a good business owner. He seems like an organizer to me. That leaves open a wide variety of possibilities, of course.

If they did decide to go back to criminal ways, I doubt they'd go back to out and out robbery. They've learned the hard way, it's better if nobody recognizes you. They could rob people they felt "deserved it", like a crooked rich man, or someone they thought wouldn't miss the money. There's always the confidence game, of course. I'd like to see somebody write them in another country, either as themselves, or under assumed names.

The great thing about fanfic is that everything is possible with these characters. You can put them in just about any situation and make it plausible.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lunartidemassageandangeltherapy.com
Moonpie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What would they do if amnesty never came through?   Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:59 pm

I have been reading the replies with interest and although I'd love them to get Amnesty I could see them getting tired of the Governor and his cronies using them for the kinds of job any sane man would turn down.  I could see Heyes having a plan to shock the Governor into understanding who he was dealing with; maybe planting something in his safe as a warning that he could so some real damage to his reputation if he didn't stop messing them around.

On a separate note there are some great bunnies here!  We need to do more of this    rabbit
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What would they do if amnesty never came through?   Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:19 pm

I like the sound of that plan, Moonpie.  I hope you're going to write it!
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would they do if amnesty never came through?   

Back to top Go down

What would they do if amnesty never came through?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1