Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Bangorrhea

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Bangorrhea   Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

I found this to be a very interesting article in the BBC News on the over use of exclamation marks. I have to say I was very guilty of this, not only as an inexperienced writer, but as somebody who wrote in other languages where they are use more frequently than they are in English. In French, for instance, they simply denote an order.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23781044

Elmore Leonard has died at the age of 87. The crime novelist really didn't like exclamation marks, notes Finlo Rohrer.

His 10 rules of writing from 2001 are arguably as famous as any of his novels. Point five reads: "Keep your exclamation points under control. You are allowed no more than two or three per 100,000 words of prose."

He wasn't the only enemy. "Cut out all these exclamation points," F Scott Fitzgerald urged. "An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke."

There's even a word, bangorrhea, that describes their overuse.

Okay, I admit it. I used to have bangorrhea, but I think I'm over it now.

What do the rest of you think of this article or do you have anything similar you'd like to share?

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Bangorrhea   Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:11 pm

Yes, this is interesting. I think I'm just as guilty as you are at using the exclamation mark too much!!
Back to top Go down

Bangorrhea
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction  :: Writers Aids Feel free to contrubute to any of these threads :: Writing Tips-
Jump to: