Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Rumours and Gossip

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Rumours and Gossip   Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:46 pm

It is with regret that I have to tell you that I have received the latest in a series of disturbing emails advising me of an attempt to discredit this board and its members; so I thought I would pre-empt it before it happens by posting, as ignoring the issue has not stopped things escalating.  It has been alleged that we have numerous fake members and that I am writing most of the stories put up for challenge.  It has even been said that these fake members are made to look like they are in the chat room when they are not; to make the site look busier than it is.  I don’t know how that can be done, but it’s best to throw light in the dark corners and dismiss these claims as the nonsense they are.  I am sure that those who regularly attend chat can attest to the nonsensical nature of that claim.   

Whilst this rumour overlooks the fact that I work full-time and also wrote two long-running series as well as doing V.S. and challenges, I appreciate the compliment that some people think I can also turn out such a large body of work in so many varying different styles and genres.  I am tempted to apply for a Pulitzer Prize for prolific versatility, but I feel that the actual writers should get the credit for their work. 

When some of the allegedly fake, but named, members were informed of this in chat they laughed like drains and the subject of the Jimmy Stewart movie ‘Harvey’ came up, as that also relates to an ‘is-he-or-isn’t-he’ real scenario.  Some of these allegedly fake members have also shared links to businesses and real-life achievements with us.  I clearly have been planning this for decades and thrown a lot of resources at this cunning plan, muhahaha (whatever that plan may be – writing more?  Nah, still not getting it.)

Needless to say, most of you know the other members and came with them from Facebook and other sites.  You have also met them in the chat room too.  However, I have never made any secret of the fact that I do not use my real name and use security to protect my real identity.  I have stated in chat, on both this board and previous boards, that I do not use my real IP address either.  I have also talked about the software involved as that fact is not a secret.  This software is currently selling about 100,000 per day and is one of the most popular pieces of software on the market, especially in the U.K. and Europe, so it is commonly used – and not just by me.

Why do I do this?  Because it makes your computer a great deal more difficult to hack and adds increased levels of security and given my former employment it will be of no surprise to anyone to learn that I keep up to date with internet security.  I’ve done it for years and it is second nature to me, but don’t just take my word for what it does.  Please see the links below:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy server][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] server[/url]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Another added advantage is that it allows you to watch T.V. from all over the world; an attractive feature for some people who like to watch programmes in other countries or languages.  It is therefore hardly surprising that some people took up the recommended software when it came up in discussion, especially those who were bilingual or who like to watch programmes from another country such as the Brits watching programmes available in the U.S. on IPlayers or vice versa. 

An attempt to capitalise on what has been openly discussed for over two years is clearly a cynical attempt to hurt a popular site which overlooks the fact that every single member signed up on a unique email address and IP address (Forumotion make it impossible for a joining member to do anything else), even if some subsequently used an openly discussed proxy or mobile device to use the board at a later stage.  I must state that this board is not going to penalise members for using mobile devices or enhanced security and I regret to say that another board has banned members for doing just that.  It also aims to state there are underhanded motives for this site failing to do the same. 

Devices, security and ways to access the internet change constantly and this board is not going to punish members for moving with the times.  I do not see that as being in members’ interests or necessary.  This is Alias Smith and Jones, for heaven’s sakes – not the NSA or the C.I.A.  I do not need iris recognition software every time you log in.  We tell stories and play games; and I feel a functioning sense of perspective is required by anyone trying to make these activities sinister.

This is a good opportunity to state that this site is run for its members - not the board owner or moderators.  We will never censor content, suggestions or links to any other site,  as was done elsewhere, unless they violate Forumotion terms and conditions.  Nor will we spend years allowing suggestions for chat to be selected from legacy sites, only to suddenly change that policy to active members of our board only, because the board owner had a disagreement with a writer.  That is not in the members’ interests either.  They must be allowed to chat about their choice of subject and I will ensure that this site is run fairly for them.

This board is here to promote the enjoyment of its members and even to signpost to other sites where they can have fun; not to limit it to one person’s narrow, over-controlled, proscriptive view of what they are told they can enjoy.  We welcome open discussion, fun and new information at all times and I do not go looking for reasons to ban people.  It is a last resort, not a method of control.

Our members are adults and can choose to ignore what they don’t want to participate in.  We can also disagree politely and reasonably.  In that spirit, I am not going to indulge in muck-raking, over analysis and censorship in the hope that some people can simply enjoy their own board in their own way and leave this one to prosper without trying to stir trouble to alienate members. 

I would like to thank the concerned person who brought this to my attention as it has hopefully headed off an attempt to cause dissent by letting rumours and gossip take on a life of their own.  I have no problem with members belonging to other boards, but sadly it would appear that not everyone holds that view.

Your Mysterious Admin Person (six-foot three and one-half inches tall – apologies to Harvey  rabbit )

Ghost  XXX
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Cimarron

PostSubject: Re: Rumours and Gossip   Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:46 pm

Thank you for all the hard work you out into this site for us, MAP.  Here's to a great coming year!
Back to top Go down
Javabee

PostSubject: Re: Rumours and Gossip   Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:19 pm

Since I was one of the persons named as being a "fake" member, I just want to reassure everyone that I am a very real person. I have been called a lot of things in my life, but "imaginary" or "fake" is a first, even for me.

The fact that anyone would think that my few attempts at writing fanfiction were really done by our MAP is an amazing compliment, seeing as how she is so skilled and experienced at this, and I am obviously not. (Don't get me wrong, I am ok for a beginner, but a beginner I clearly am.)

Some of you have met me on FB and I have had the pleasure of talking with others in Sunday chat.
If you would like to visit my business web site, it is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] it would be lovely if you would sign my guest book there. I also have three business FB pages(Jasper's Coffee), one for each coffee shop I own, and it it would be awesome if you would "like" each of them for me as I am trying to get more likes on them. There is also a Jasper's Coffee in Australia that has nothing to do with me, FYI.

I am on this board just for fun; I love ASJ and reading fan fiction, and had hoped to meet a few like minded people. Writing isn't really something I expected to do, but this is a very supportive environment for new folks and so I have dabbled in it just a bit.

If anyone needs further proof that I actually exist, I will give you my phone number and we can chat on the phone. I also have a social security number and a driver's license with photo ID. (!)

It's hard for me to believe we are seriously having this discussion. Absurdity and paranoia abound.
Let's keep it from leaking into our group, and keep on having fun with writing and ASJ.

Hugs to all!

Java (I have a real name, it's Dawn Dennis)

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rumours and Gossip   Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Aw, Javabee, we all know you exist.   Group Hug   I hope everyone will 'like' your business on Facebook and sign your visitor's book.  Please relax and enjoy the site.  Trust me when I say that if the internet was a simple as some people think it is, there would not be people training for years in Internet Fraud Detection or in Counter Terrorism.   

Who cares if people are writing stories in different names anyway?  I can name loads who have done that and one of them is a moderator on another site.  The terms and conditions of the sites relate to illegal activity, hatred, defamation etc.  I can't get my panties in a bunch over people writing different types of Fanfiction and looking at pictures.  The more the merrier, I say!       

There is no need for rivalry between sites either.  We should all be able to share what we have in common in the year ahead.  All I can say is let's use the New Year to make peace, have fun and draw a line in the sand.  

Oh, and thanks for the lovely compliments too.

Happy New Year, everyone!  Happy writing and fun in 2014 - no matter where you post it.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Rumours and Gossip   Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:02 pm

Thank you for all your work and your good humor, oh Mysterious One. I'm so sorry that you have strange things like you mention to put up with. I only hope there continue to be at least enough joys to offset it. Have a very happy New Year, you and everyone!
HW
 Group Hug
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Rumours and Gossip   Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:52 pm

Oh!  So you're Dawn Dennis!  I certainly know you from fb!

As for the amazing Mysterious Admin Person, well I think she already does the work of two people so I don't see how she could handle much more.

Looking forward to a fun and entertaining 2014 and I just hope that that 'other person' will stop bothering us and just focus on having fun over on her own site.  Happy writing and reading to all of us!
Back to top Go down
Nancy Whiskey

PostSubject: Re: Rumours and Gossip   Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:43 am

Apparently I did not exist either! ~ Well that saves me going on a New Year diet!!!!

cowboy 6

PostSubject: Re: Rumours and Gossip   Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:18 pm

Oh gosh, Oh gosh, the things that happen when I have real life to attend to...

Well I may not be writing much lately, but I am truly a real person, although I would like to join Nancy on this, that it would be a fast way to loose the Christmas kilo's. I always become a fresh new person at the start of a new year, but I always stay true to my name! I happen to love it  bounce 

Well let's gather again by the camp fire and celebrate that we have such a nice and open MAP, who looks after us!
 Night

PostSubject: Re: Rumours and Gossip   

Back to top Go down

Rumours and Gossip
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1