Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cowboy talk

Go down 
AuthorMessage
HelenWest

HelenWest

Cowboy talk Empty
PostSubject: Cowboy talk   Cowboy talk EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 9:39 pm

I know our boys weren't really cowboys, but they spent a lot of time around them. I've been watching the world champion rodeo and boy howdy, you can sure pick up some good cowboy talk listening to those announcers. One of them just talked about a bull rider, saying of him on this particular bull that he really "rode the hair off of him." I have a feeling that might show up in one of my stories at some point - it would offer metaphorical possibilities. There are countless more of those. I'll take notes and post them when I think they're good. I'd love to hear from folks who have good cowboyisms to offer. Many of you who work with horses and live out West or who do a lot of historical western reading must have plenty of them. Care to share?
HW

Night
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

Cowboy talk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cowboy talk   Cowboy talk EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 6:28 am

Boy, did you ask the right question! I've got a link to a whole dictionary's worth of cowboy slang:

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-slang.html

Give it a look-see and see if it don't help you be afly in cowboy lingo.

Not that I'm playin' to the gallery, hear?

“The purpose of life isn’t to arrive at death in perfect condition but to slide into it sideways with your hair mussed, your clothes disheveled, a martini in one hand and chocolate in the other, shouting ‘Whooeee, what a ride!’”--Hunter S. Thompson
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

Cowboy talk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cowboy talk   Cowboy talk EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 8:23 am

Should've known that you had an ace in the hole, Inside Outlaw! Thanks to this list, no one's all balled up anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lunartidemassageandangeltherapy.com
HelenWest

HelenWest

Cowboy talk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cowboy talk   Cowboy talk EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Well I won't argy with you, IO, you got the Ace in the Hole with that spot. I marked it for my special list of "Things HH Would Know." My cowboy announcers are disappointing - too much purely rodeo jargon. I'm afraid "break over" and "re-ride option" don't have much ASJ use. I did just hear a cowboy say he been "dragging his loops," meaning things had been going badly for him. Thanks!
HW
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cowboy talk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cowboy talk   Cowboy talk Empty

Back to top Go down

Cowboy talk
Page 1 of 1