Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Favorite scenes

Go down 
AuthorMessage
HelenWest

HelenWest

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 8:40 pm

What are your favorite scenes? Why? Do you ever use things from those scenes in your writing?
Back to top Go down
Remuda

Remuda

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Great question! It will be interesting to see how many are repeated through the thread.

First, writing-wise, elements of the series definitely inspire and might occasionally show up. No rhyme or reason as to when or why, just as the muse hits.

Favorite scenes … My first impression was there are too many to list, but after some consideration (with the greatest weight given to those I most often rewind and watch again and again) winnowed them down to a top ten list of sorts (yes, just watched Letterman) – Okay, a baker’s dozen with a tie, but who’s counting? There are probably others I’m forgetting so this is it for the moment; it would likely change tomorrow.

12. The diamond in the navel from “Bad Night in Big Butte” – A simple piece of foolishness from probably the silliest episode, but I’m fascinated by how the sparkly rock found its mark so well (yes, I know, camera and other trickery no doubt, but it’s still fun to imagine).

11. A one-man strike force of a rampaging and crazed Kid Curry running full on into a line of lawmen in “Bushwhacked” – What will happen when an ex-outlaw has revenge on his mind, thinking his partner has been killed.

10. Heyes’ helping Kid clean up after the fight in “Tenstrike” – There are many scenes that show their caring for the other, and this is sweet, albeit cut short by the Mrs. Also love how Heyes goes from his smart-alecky self (“You wouldn’t want me to back a loser, would ya?” (paraphrase)) to the hands-on concern.

9. Kid’s failure to complete the five pat hands trick in “The Ten Days That Shook Kid Curry” – We see the blond one’s self-assured cockiness humbled when he can’t complete the trick. Doc Holliday tells him to the effect of, yep, it’s nine-in-ten odds, and this is the one time it won’t work.

8. “How can you forget about breakfast?” from “Going, Going, Gone” – A hungry and frustrated Kid and a put-up-your-dukes Heyes – too cute!

7. The celebration scene in the mine from “Smiler” – Pure mirth and joy foreshadowing the total opposite that is to come.

6. The construction scene in “Wickenburg” – Both boys look great, and so cute when each smirks at the other’s “ouchy” moment with the hammer.

5. Tie: Heyes’ waking Kid up on the train in “Never Trust an Honest Man” and in the middle of the night in the hotel in “Everything Else You Can Steal” – Heyes’ being obnoxious and a man with a plan while his tired and elemental partner just wants to sleep.

4. The boys’ being tied up in “The Bounty Hunter” – Frustrating for the boys, fun for us.

3. Kid’s falling off the train in “The Long Chase” – Heart-stopping the first time I saw it, and still holds my attention every time.

2. Kid’s confrontation with Rev. Spencer in “Going, Going, Gone” – A paradoxical Kid Curry both at his rawest and most self-aware, and a horrified and surprised Rev. Spencer (my favorite guest character by far).

1. The walk-off scene from the Pilot – As classic as it gets, right from the get-go.

HelenWest

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 9:36 am

Wow, great list Remuda. Some of those I've never seen and never will, so I'll take them on faith. I'll do a few of mine one or two at a time.

While Return to Devil's Hole is a badly flawed episode in a lot of ways, the scene in Clara's hotel where Heyes is checking for guns and ambushes is an unusually vivid look into the paranoid world of the outlaw gone straight. And when Clara calls Heyes "one of the worst" outlaws Lom Trevors knows, and he turns back to look at her and looks really ashamed - that kind of sums up the situation he and the Kid have just recently found themselves in having gone straight. The Kid never looks embarrassed about his outlaw days (that I recall), but Heyes often does. Reflections of both of those moments have often turned up in my writing. For those who have read my cycle thus far, this is one of the scenes I envisioned when writing the last chapter of Two Degrees and the first chapter of Two Degrees, Part II, when Heyes is confronting another woman. More later . . .
HW
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 10:33 am

One of my favorite all time scenes is the last scene in The Man Who Murdered Himself. I've rewound this scene so much I've wore the remote out. When Kid gets back and Heyes has to admit he didn't get paid, (for once, he has no words for it, just shakes his head), and then tries to explain why makes me laugh everytime I see it. Kid wants no part of 'why', he just knows what a trip he just went through and now Heyes is telling him he didn't get any money at all. And then at last, inside the saloon, you get the visual of Kid decking Heyes by the sound effects. I've always wanted to see what happened next. I love it!
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 10:51 am

I love that one, too, Hanna. It's one of those unlikely stories that the Kid never would sit still for. Maybe the later is one of those "Well, I'm gonna explain it to you, Kid," scenes. Or maybe he just let it ride. Or something else happened to take their minds off it. You might have to write that up one of these days, Hanna.
HW
Back to top Go down
Keays

Keays

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 11:56 am

Two of my all time favorite scenes, just off the top of my head mind your.

1) In Smiler with a Gun, the conversation between Heyes and the Kid in the hotel room while Kid is shaving. Heyes' expressions throughout this whole scene are priceless, from 'What's that?' referring to Kid's moustache to his look when Kid announced, 'yeah but I learned how to shoot before I could shave.' line.

2) Strictly eye-candy. In Six Strangers in Apache Springs', right near the end when Heyes walks away from the stage to talk with Mrs. Fielding. I could watch this scene over and over again (well, I do.) I would say that it is the epitome of the classic 'walking away' scene ever filmed!
I also like the scene from the same episode when Heyes and Mrs. Fielding are talking on the porch. I can't help but think though that this particular actress's acting ability drove Peter nuts. But he put everything he had into it and pulled off the scene very nicely. He made it all work even though he had to carry her all the way through it.
Back to top Go down
Javabee

Javabee

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 10:44 pm

The one that comes to mind that hasn't been spoken of yet is from "How To Rob A Bank In One Hard Lesson". You have Kid and Heyes sitting on a porch smoking their cigars. Heyes is giving Kid a report on his survey of the town when a thug starts harassing a woman. True to form Kid has to intervene even though Heyes advises it isn't wise. Heyes just sits there grinning as the guy shoves the Kid and the Kid punches the guy off the porch. Heyes stands up and with just a look and nod of his head he intimidates the guy from escalating the fight and the guy wisely runs off. Somehow neither one of them misses a single puff on their cigars through the entire incident. This scene illustrates so much  about who they are, their roles and personalities in just one short scene. Love this scene.

HelenWest

HelenWest

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 8:54 am

The boys with cigars always seems to signal when they're happy and would like to stay awhile - or at least they want to give that impression. But something always comes along to cause trouble - and as you say Javabee, how they react to that tells you a whole lot.

Another favorite of mine shows some of the same qualities. It's in Wickenberg, when Mary Cunningham has just fired the boys. The boys are walking down the street and the Kid is trying to get Heyes interested in investigating the question of what is going on there. At first Heyes tells the Kid to shut up and tries to be the practical leader, but finally there is this great moment when a reluctant smile breaks out on Heyes' face as he agrees to work on the problem. Through the whole show, the two go back and forth on trying to be sensible and trying to do the right thing. They also go back and forth on who takes the lead. I think that was a question through the whole show that was never really resolved, and it was better that way. In the pilot it is made clear that Heyes is the leader, but I think there's a lot in the pilot that is abandoned later on. I think they lead together, who is really in charge varying with the situation. That's one of the things that keeps it interesting.
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 4:07 pm

Hello fellow Heyes fans! I'm thinking of you all on this sad anniversary. So go back and watch your favorite scenes again tonight! I just wish there were a lot more of them to choose from. Happy New Year everyone!
Warmest regards,
HW
 Group Hug
Back to top Go down
Keays

Keays

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 5:07 pm

Yes, it's hard not to feel a small twinge of remorse on this fateful day but now I tend to think of the good things Peter brought to us.  Like new friends and new directions; these are things that I will always be happy and thankful for.  It is because of Peter and Ben and ASJ that we all gather here to play and visit, and surprisingly; learn quite a bit too!  What a great group we have, all we have to do is enjoy it.

jump face
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 6:38 pm

Yes, Keays, I think we're all very lucky. I'm very thankful to have made some good friends through the major of AS&J and the internet, and mostly just good people. I'm trying to finish up and post a chapter tonight to express yet more of what I enjoy about our boys.
HW
Back to top Go down
Keays

Keays

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 6:44 pm

Writing 
I'm doing the same thing--between browsing the internet.  Want to get a good start on our next chapter.  Lot's of fun!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 8:13 am

You've probably all seen this already as it's been doing the rounds but this is Geoff Deuel taking about his late brother Pete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKZPYm5ogBQ
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Keays

Keays

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 10:09 am

Yes, I saw it already but what a lovely thing for Geoff to do not only for Christmas but also this sad anniversary.  I think he is beginning to understand that Pete's fans are a kindly group on the most part and he's starting to have some acceptance of us.  We're not going anywhere!

I love how  he is caressing the hat.  He truly displays love and fond memories here.
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 11:38 am

And by the way, the YouTube video says the pictures are for an upcoming documentary. So we need to stay tuned, fellow Pete fans!
HW
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 2:27 pm

And back to the real topic of this thread, the show I chose to watch last night was Jail Break at Junction City. I love the very last scene where the boys smile and bat at each other playfully before they ride away, with the Kid not actually saying that he is forgiving Heyes for frightening him so badly. Once again, the Kid has suggested splitting up and not going along with what Heyes wants. It always seems to be the Kid who wants to split up and Heyes who doesn't. I suppose one can't blame Heyes for wanting to keep that formidable gun hand at his side, along with so good a friend. So it is nice when they both just blow it off and ride off with relatively light hearts. Despite having absolutely zero money in their pockets. I'd love to know what trick Heyes used to get them yet another stake with no money at all to start with. The thing that happens directly after that can't really be the next episode, The Posse that Wouldn't Quit, because Heyes says they can pay for their keep. Unless he says it knowing that they won't take him up on it. With Heyes, you never know.
HW

Last edited by HelenWest on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Helen said, "With Heyes, you never know."

You are so right, Helen, and that's one of the things we love about him and makes him such a great subject for fanfic.  There are always all those possibilities.

I can't wait for that documentary.  Thanks for the update, Helen.

Stepha3nie

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 12:01 pm

To get this thread going again I would like to add another little scene or rather a shot to the very worthy list. It is not necessarily my absolute favourite, but I do like it.

It's in "Night of the Red Dog". They have just begun panning for gold and we see Heyes find some. I love his reaction. First the joyous smile, then he carefully sets the pan aside, and then he really lets lose, laughing, falling backwards, splashing his feet in the stream, waving his arms. He is just like a little boy who just had the best thing possible happening to him. It is so innocent and sweet. We get to see not the dangerous gang leader or the devious fugitive, but the young Han up to mischief with Jed.
And it still seems so natural, not acted or overdone.

Also, with the beautiful setting I could not help but think of how much Pete loved nature and to be out in the wild. I can't help but hope that he enjoyed doing this episode (at least the gold panning shots).

HelenWest

HelenWest

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 4:36 pm

I love that one, too, S3! And he looks so good in the whole episode.
HW
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Favorite scenes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite scenes   Favorite scenes Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite scenes
Page 1 of 1