Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Favorite Pete Episode

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Remuda

Remuda

Favorite Pete Episode Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Pete Episode   Favorite Pete Episode EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 7:43 pm

We all have our favorite episodes featuring each of the boys, whether for a certain scene, the way they walked, wore something, etc. Given separate threads, we’ll highlight them by actor. So, what is your favorite episode for Pete, and why?
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pete Episode   Favorite Pete Episode EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 12:07 pm

Well, I think for me it has to be 'Exit from Wickenburg.' Not only did Pete look great in this one (the both did) it gave us a glimpse of the outlaw Heyes which was far more compelling than the pilot. I say that now, but somebody is going to post theirs and I'll change my mind!
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pete Episode   Favorite Pete Episode EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 7:32 pm

"The Man Who Broke the Bank at Red Gap" is my favorite Pete episode. I think he might have done his best acting in this episode. He develops the Heyes character and makes Heyes more interesting. In the scene where Heyes and Curry confront the evil banker, Curry is actually speaking more, and arguing. Heyes watches; he holds the glass, runs his finger around the edge, and you can see Heyes' mind working. When Curry starts getting louder, Heyes finally speaks up, and seems to accept the banker's offer of $20,000 and then go away. He's laying on the flattery thick, but the banker accepts it, and even Curry defers to Heyes.

Later on, when Heyes and Curry are waiting in the bushes outside Powers' library, and debating whether or not to break into the safe, is another stand-out scene for Pete. "Kid, we have got to go back in." And Heyes' reaction, when he and Curry see that Powers is being arrested. . . priceless.

There's more, but these two scenes really stand out for me. Pete's performance here is what makes this my favorite Pete episode.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lunartidemassageandangeltherapy.com
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pete Episode   Favorite Pete Episode EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 5:41 am

The Man Who Broke The Bank At Red Gap is one of my personal favorites for all the reasons RosieAnnie cited above. Heyes was an outlaw, not a reformed outlaw here.

However, my other favorite is the Day They Hung Kid Curry. I loved seeing Heyes slipping back into his leadership role and getting to watch him work up a plan. There were several scenes in this one that stand out for me: the scene where Heyes successfully enlightens the Kid as to why he should be worried about Fred hanging. I loved the manipulation here and Pete's interpretation of Heyes's persona.

I liked the scene where Kyle and Wheat see Heyes playing poker, too. Pete played it very cool in this one and it made me believe that these men followed Heyes's lead because, even after a long time leading the gang, Wheat deferred to him and Heyes took charge.

Also, if you advance frames very slowly during the scene where Heyes rides up to the hanging and stops it, there are a few frames at the end of the scene where you can really see Pete's range. He goes from being outwardly sincere while trying to convince the sheriff not to hang the Kid, to being wickedly wily, to being totally smug that he pulled it off. I stumbled across these one day--they are hard to see at regular play speed--and I imagine them often while writing. Pete defined Heyes for me in that moment.

Another fun scene in this one is when they break Fred out and they realize they are being chased, they pull off the trail and hide behind some trees. Pete holds his hand so hard over Fred's mouth that the Kid worries he's going to smother him while Pete's whole body language screams outlaw-not-to-be-crossed.

Throughout this series there are so many fun moments where Pete's performance breathed life into Heyes! He was such a good actor that I, and many others, could never accept Roger's Heyes as being the same character. Pete made Heyes a real person.
Back to top Go down
thewheatman

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pete Episode   Favorite Pete Episode EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 6:31 pm

My favorite episode is The Bounty Hunter. I thinks this shows how real it was for Heyes & Curry to be traveling around always looking over their shoulder. Of course the scene where Joe ties them up is hilarious.The expressions on Heyes' face are priceless. I love the way Heyes looks after Curry as they ride and he's always looking around to make sure the horse can keep it's footing. The end is great because it shows how slaves where looked at and treated at that time in history. I love that the boys ride back and try to help Joe but realize there's nothing they can do. Joe shows that slaves were not "stupid" and could get along after they were free. It was hard work but Joe showed it could be done. Very good writing and a stong episode.
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pete Episode   Favorite Pete Episode EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 8:29 pm

It's tough to pick just one. But one of my favorites is Jail Break at Junction City. Pete had a cold when much of it was filmed and doesn't look or feel his best, so it isn't perfect. But I love the egg scene. Clearly, Heyes knows what he will do as soon as he sees that egg. The Kid has no idea of what his partner wants to do at first, but after one quick whisper from Heyes he quickly figures out how to play along and make it work. By the way, I understand that even using salt, it is extremely difficult to balance an egg that way and that it is often not possible. So it really is, as Heyes says, a sporting proposition. And something that takes a typical Heyes combination of physical skill, confidence, and con artistry to pull off. I also love the scene where Heyes is trying to get the Kid not to draw, and he winces when the Kid does. Obviously, the Kid doesn't always take his partner's guidance or advice. He has a temper and sometimes it rules. And I love how Heyes and the Kid work effortlessly together in catching the second pair of outlaws, with the Kid really taking charge. Heyes doesn't insist on taking the lead - he knows when the Kid's skills are better suited than his own. And sometimes even Heyes can't think of a good idea. And I love how Heyes deals with the judge, with a kind of cheerful respect. The Kid feels pretty desperate, but Heyes remains confident that somehow it will all work out. He's picked a man with the character they need and Heyes trusts him. This episode gives a pretty good idea of the day to day risks the pair faces and how they overcome them. But the situation at the end is symbolic of their overall situation. They are left absolutely penniless. I always wonder what happened next to allow them not to starve to death. Even Heyes and the Kid couldn't play poker with nothing! I'll bet somebody has written a story about that moment, at some time or other.
HW
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pete Episode   Favorite Pete Episode Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite Pete Episode
Page 1 of 1