Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Favorite Ben Episode

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Remuda

PostSubject: Favorite Ben Episode   Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:41 pm

We all have our favorite episodes featuring each of the boys, whether for a certain scene, the way they walked, wore something, etc. Given separate threads, we’ll highlight them by actor. So, what is your favorite episode for Ben, and why?
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Ben Episode   Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Hi Rem,

I think for Ben it would be 'Smiler With a Gun.' I think this was the first time we saw the real raw side of the Kid and the man the outlaws had good reason to fear. I also thing it was balanced nicely with a real reluctance to take things that far and the humanity of the character was well portrayed by Ben.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Ben Episode   Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:33 am

My favorite Ben episode was "The McCreedy Bust: Going, Going, Gone." Kid Curry is the pivotal character in this episode. He's put under a lot of stress, from Rev. Spencer, Briggs, Heyes, everyone, and we get to see what The Kid is made of. It's interesting to me that, when Heyes and Curry are first getting ready to leave the hotel room, it's Kid who looks out the window and doubts the wisdom of going out. "I don't know, Heyes, Mac told us to stay out of trouble." Heyes brushes away Curry's concern, and Curry goes along. But, as Heyes later says, Curry's gun is trouble, and Curry makes it 100% clear he isn't going anywhere without it. Curry shows his stubbornness, and, in so doing, shows who he is. He is willing to make some sacrifices for the sake of peace, for Rev. Spencer, for Heyes, for the job they're doing, but only so many. He takes on Briggs, not just for himself, but for the reason that bullies like Briggs have got to be stopped, and he, Kid Curry, has the strength to do it.

Ben conveyed Kid's embarrassment, frustration, humor, weaknesses, determination, and courage, all in one episode. I agree with Silverkelpie that "Smiler With A Gun" is also a very good episode for Ben, but I'm going with "McCreedy Bust" because of the balance that the humor provides.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lunartidemassageandangeltherapy.com
Niekx

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Ben Episode   Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Well, I agree with both ladies that those two episodes show Ben as the gunfighter Kid Curry. And I must say, that is also what I like best about the character. The chemistry between Pete and Ben has been discussed on other forums before. It is that chemistry that results in the best acting performances of both actors I believe.

I know I am part of a minority when it comes to having seen all episodes of the series (comes with being a Kidette). But I would like to remark here that in the later episodes with Roger as Heyes, I feel the Kid is shown as a more independent minded person. Having said that, to me as a kid of ten, this also resulted in disliking the Heyes character, because he tried so often to belittle the Kid and made him look dumb and I resented that. Watching them now, I still get that feeling. With Pete as Heyes it was more of a true partnership.

To end on a positive note: that scene shooting at targets with Beth and Bridget in "The posse that wouldn't quit". Now that ticked a lot of boxes for me! It would improve with editing out that cowboy 7 mustache (CGI?), but the final shot with Heyes makes up for that!
cowboy 5
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Ben Episode   Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:40 pm

I agree with you on all counts here Niekx. I have also watched all the episodes even though I am a die-hard Heyes fan. But I agree. Kid grew a lot in the third season and became more his own man, while the character of Heyes shrank and became mean and almost spiteful. I was not comfortable with many of those scenes. The producer's said that it was just a difference in the delivery styles of the two actors, as the writing hadn't changed so all I can say to that is that Roger just didn't get it. He didn't have a clear understanding of the relationship between Heyes and Kid and that could explain in a big way, why the series no longer worked.
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Ben Episode   Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:57 am

I have a number of favourite Ben scenes. A universal one I believe is in 'The Posse That Wouldn't Quit' when he's walking from the bunk house over to where the two girls are target shooting. We all love that one!

Another one I really like is because it shows just how much Kid knows his partner, and it's right at the beginning of the series too so that really sets it up to show the viewer what kind of relationship the two men have. It's in 'McCreedy Bust' when they're sitting in the wine shop, discussing the job that's been offered. Heyes is ready to give it up until Mike (is that it?) mentions that the bust is kept in a safe. Heyes' whole demeanor changes and the subtle smile that comes over Kid's face says loud and clear that he knows exactly what his partner is thinking, and why.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Ben Episode   Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:34 am

Two of my favorite scenes with Ben are in The Day They Hung Kid Curry. I love it when Heyes finally catches up with him in the hotel room and his in the bath. He's so smart-alecky about Heyes' predicament and the whole exchange between the two is so funny. It was a real example of how well the characters played off each other. The other was the one in the livery stable when the stableman wouldn't shut up and the Kid puts a bucket over his head. Short, sweet and to the point!

“The purpose of life isn’t to arrive at death in perfect condition but to slide into it sideways with your hair mussed, your clothes disheveled, a martini in one hand and chocolate in the other, shouting ‘Whooeee, what a ride!’”--Hunter S. Thompson
Back to top Go down
riders57

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Ben Episode   Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:27 pm

Don't know what made me consider this thread -- well actually I do -- procrastination is a wonderful thing -- but anyway thought I'd weigh in.  As a dedicated Kidette there are several different scenes I enjoy that highlight many of the reasons why I like the Kid.

I love his deadpan delivery of extremely snarky lines -- so in The Day They Hanged Kid Curry -- when he tells Kyle that if there's a point in life Kyle will miss it, and several in Jailbreak at Junction City (such as the line about the food, his singing to annoy the Deputy, and telling Heyes he knew they were in trouble when Heyes listened to him about talking to Clitterhouse).

I love his hard-edged gun-fighter doesn't take guff from anyone attitude -- such as when he's getting angry at the man who recognizes him in the bar in the pilot (Actually his "My mother so they tell me" line is a great example of snark); in McCreedy Bust when he goes and gets a drink then shoots off Mike's (?) holster when  he goes to stop him; and in a much more feral case, in High Lonesome Country when he gets the drop on the bounty hunter and forces him to take care of Heyes after the bounty hunter shot him.  

Finally so many of his interactions with Heyes -- especially when he's caught Heyes out in his "logic/genius" -- such as when Heyes logically determines which room is the woman's in "Never Trust and Honest Man" (?) and when Heyes is expounding on women (which the Kid is supposed to be better at) in the one with Jim Stokely.  (Drawing a blank on the name)

So obviously not a single favorite Ben episode -- but lots of favorite scenes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Ben Episode   

Back to top Go down

Favorite Ben Episode
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1