Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

March

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

March Empty
PostSubject: March   March EmptyTue Mar 01, 2022 9:21 am

So it's now in like a lion, and out like a lamb -MARCH! The portent of spring and the summer lying ahead.

So your story prompt for this month, should you choose to accept the challenge is"
rabbit
March
March 1853412454
That can mean the month, actual marching, a family name (if anyone's up for a Little Women crossover), or any kind of band or body of people performing. It could even be a dance. Military Two-Step, anyone? Or a mad march hare.

So you know have loads of inspiration. Time to get writing! 
Computer smash
Back to top Go down
https://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Kattayl

March Empty
PostSubject: Smith and Jones   March EmptyFri Mar 11, 2022 4:29 pm

March Challenge 2022   
Final

Abruptly, Heyes jerked backward from a strong push on his shoulder.  Dropping the rock he was carrying, he whirled his arms to stop himself from falling.  His efforts proved unsuccessful as he landed on his bottom.  Looking up he saw the six-foot-four, grizzled face of Jimmy Joe Rigoli.

“Smith, you’re lazy.  Just like you’re a liar and a cheat at poker.”  Rigoli’s deep voice was dominant.  He was accustomed to being the prisoner in charge and held that title by brutality and force.

Moving to stand, Heyes was forced down again by a strong kick to the chest.  Rigoli continued, “You cheated at poker last night in the common room.  Nobody wins that many hands in a row.  You lied to the guard about how many rocks you moved yesterday, didn’t you?  Your partner moved a lot of those for you.  Cheat! Liar!”

From his sitting position, Heyes raised his hands slowly.  “You’re right, Jimmy Joe.  My partner and me, we work as a team so we both hit our quotas.” 

The thought of the beatings given to prisoners who did not hit their daily quota of rocks flashed through Heyes’ thoughts.  He had fallen short their first day.  Dragged out of line, his hands were tied in front of him, around a pole.  He refused to yell until the fourth lash caught part of the back of his newly shaved head.  After the fifth lash, he was dragged to the cell he shared with his partner and thrown on the dirt floor.  They had resolved that night to combine their efforts so that would never happen to either of them again.  

Jimmy Joe took a threatening step forward.  Heyes scooted backwards while still sitting.  “And I don’t believe your names are Smith and Jones.” 

“Lots of people named Smith and Jones.”  Heyes tried a small grin.

“Not you two.  I recognize you two from somewhere, just ain’t placed you yet.”

Catching a movement behind Rigoli, Heyes yelled, “Thaddeus, NO!”  He watched Curry march across the quarry, anger in his eyes.  

With a protective glance at his sitting partner, Curry spun Rigoli around to face him.  Without waiting, he landed his right fist to the larger man’s jaw.  He followed by planting his left fist to Rigoli’s left eye.  Rigoli swung back widely, only grazing Curry’s cheek.

As Heyes struggled to his feet, he saw four guards encircle the combatants.  “Thaddeus, enough.”

Curry stepped back and nodded to Heyes.  “You okay?”

“For now,” he answered, knowing that the punishment for fighting was lashes and solitary.

Not struggling against the guards, Curry allowed one of them to herd him against the mountain of quarried rock.  Rigoli felt differently.  He punched the first guard that tried to restrain him.  Whirling, he knocked out the second guard with a blow to his head.  

“Don’t move!”  The guard holding Curry pushed him further into the rocks.  Curry raised his hands.  “Yes, sir.  Not goin’ anywhere.”

The third guard moved from Curry and approached Rigoli from the back, billy club ready.  Skillfully, he whacked the large prisoner just below the back of his knees.  He crumbled forward onto the floor, growling.

Then all Heyes could see was guards swarming everywhere.  He stood up gingerly, favoring an ankle that had twisted under him when he fell.  Watching the guards subdue Rigoli, Heyes hopped to stand next to his partner.

Four guards roughly pulled Rigoli to his feet and supported him as his injured knees failed beneath him.  Dragging him from the quarry, the rest of the guards turned their interest to Heyes and Curry.  “You convicts, follow me,” the older guard ordered.

With Curry supporting a limping Heyes, they quietly followed the guard.  Heads down, eyes down, both dreaded the coming punishments.  Lost in his thoughts of a whipping, it took a moment before Heyes realized what Rigoli was yelling.  “They ain’t no Smith and Jones!”  His deep voice was pleading, “Just take me to the doctor and I’ll tell you who they really are!”

Sharing a silent gaze with his partner, Heyes realized there was nothing they could do at this moment.  Curry shrugged his shoulders in despair.  If Rigoli named them, instead of serving six-months here in the small Idaho Territorial Prison as Smith and Jones, they would serve twenty-years in the larger and rougher Wyoming Territorial Prison.

Instead of outside to the whipping post, Heyes and Curry were led to the solitary cells deep into the prison.  The only light here came through a rectangle hole in the roof.  The guard unlocked the first cell and indicated both of them to enter.  At their questioning looks, the guard smiled.  “Warden figured Rigoli been pushing you two hard.  Mostly, you been model prisoners, holding your tempers.  You won’t get the lash but solitary for ten days for fighting.  Both of you,” he added as Heyes was going to try and object.  “We’re short on cells so you will share a cell…and a honey pot,” he finished, pointing to the bucket in the corner of the metal cell.  “Reckon Rigoli will be in the infirmary for that long.”

Slamming the door of the cell, he looked back.  “One meal a day.  A shower after seven days.  Hope you two can stand being together, alone without killing each other.”  He flipped a deck of cards into the cell with a wink.

As the guards walked away from the cell, Heyes put his hand over Curry’s mouth before he could talk and nodded down the hall.  They were rewarded as they heard the guards talking.

“Imagine Rigoli thinking those two are members of the Blue Mountain Gang.”

Their laughter floated down the dark hallway.  “Yeah, he said the talkative one was Sure Shot Webster.”

“He sure don’t fit the description of a six-foot-two, left-handed gunfighter.”

Their laughter died away as they left the building.  With a relieved look, Curry turned to Heyes.  But before he could utter a word, he saw Heyes had his finger to his lips for quiet.

“Thaddeus,” Heyes emphasized the name with a nod of his head.  “This is going to be a long ten days.”  Pointing to his ears, he indicated that their conversations could be overheard.

Nodding in understanding, Curry answered using Heyes’ alias.  “With one honey pot and one meal per day, I think you’re right.  We can play cards during the day.  But look at it this way, when we get out of here, we’ll only have two weeks left on our time.”

*****ASJ*****ASJ

One month later, freemen Joshua Smith and Thaddeus Jones walked out the front door of the Idaho Territorial Prison.  Dressed in the clothes they wore when arrested, every possession and dollar was returned to them.  Curry kept drawing his gun, faster and faster each time.  Heyes relished the feel of his battered black hat on his head.  He looked back and smiled.  “Good to be out of there.”

Taking a deep breath of freedom, Curry answered, “Feels good.  Never want to go back.”  He realized Heyes had stopped and was looking back at the prison.  

“Thaddeus, it does give one a feeling of accomplishment to see the work we did building that prison though.”  

“Joshua, we quarried, moved and broke rocks that the builders used to build the new cell building.  We didn’t do nothing special to take credit for.”

“Probably should check in with Lom.” Heyes clapped Curry on the back as they walked to the nearest town.

Busy counting the money in his pocket, Curry nodded.  “We ain’t goin’ tell him what we been doin’ these last six months are we, Heyes?”

“Why Kid, Heyes and Curry were law abiding citizens working in construction away from Wyoming.”

Smiling a wide grin, Curry said, “But Smith and Jones are now ex-cons.  And they were even innocent.  Just in the wrong place at the right time.”

“Better them than us.”

FINE

GemHenry likes this post

Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

March Empty
PostSubject: Re: March   March EmptyTue Mar 29, 2022 12:39 pm

“Jones! Quit your lollygagging, get your lazy butt back to work! I ain’t paying you to waste my time!” bellowed a large man with a prodigious belly hanging over a cinched-in waist.  His florid face was topped by a stubbly field of gray hair.

The Kid rolled his eyes and dropped the dipper back into the bucket where he’d drawn water for a quick drink. Using his sweat-stained sleeve, he wiped his mouth and swallowed. 

Heyes looked up from the grain he was shoveling into a wheelbarrow and stared at the man who was paying them little more than slave wages. If Buck Grimes only knew who he’d been riding hard for weeks, he’d learn to be a touch more respectful. Shifting his glance to his partner, he saw only casual compliance but he knew the Kid was seething. For some reason, Grimes had it out for the blond ex-outlaw and focused his ugly attention almost exclusively on him.

Heyes couldn’t figure it out. Grimes had been a grumpy cuss when they’d taken the job but, as time wore on, he’d turned nastier and nastier towards the Kid who’d done nothing, far as Heyes could tell, to be singled out. He sighed. He’d spent every evening this week talking his partner out of quitting. 

They’d been dead broke and on the run from being recognized in Dolores when they’d ridden into the aptly named Disappointment Valley. There was no living off the land to be done here and they’d been forced to sell the horses and most of their gear to afford to eat before they got this job and could begin earning money to replace what they’d sold. It had seemed like a good plan to hide out in this hellhole for a few weeks, but Heyes was willing to admit he’d made a mistake. The land was desert dry for a hundred miles in any direction, with the exception of Grimes’ Heartbreak Ranch, and they’d been lucky to sign on here. A rare, very productive spring fed the ranch and permitted Grimes to grow oats and run cattle before selling both at exorbitant prices to other valley residents not as lucky. It also made him a bully and the Kid hated bullies.

Mrs. Grimes was a study in contradiction. She seemed submissive to her blustering spouse but didn’t hesitate to boldly order Heyes and the Kid around; often getting them in trouble for shirking their duties while seeing to hers. She fed them well, made sure they had enough at every meal, but watched them like she feared for her silverware. Her two small children were constantly warned to steer clear of the hired hands. 

Sauntering back to his partner as slowly as possible, the Kid whistled a tune and swung the shovel he carried as he walked up to Heyes. With a smile on his face, he whispered, “One more insult and I swear I’m plantin’ him, Heyes.”  His shovel speared into the pile of oats with a vengeance before lobbing the grain into the wheelbarrow.

“No, you won’t. You’re not a killer and you ain’t starting now.” Heyes’ belly tightened as he thought of Danny Bilson stretched out in a dusty street, a bullet through the center of his heart. The Kid wasn’t a killer, he’d been defending himself when Bilson challenged him and Bilson had been very, very good. So good Heyes had been worried.

The Kid frowned and nodded, “You’re right. Killing is too easy for him.”
“Shh,” hushed Heyes, his eyes focused behind the Kid. 

“Jones! I’m docking your pay for that fence you mended. That old sow busted right through it again. Dammit, you idiot, can’t you do anything right?”

“Apparently not,” growled the Kid glaring at Grimes, his chest puffing out, and his hand dropping to where his Colt should’ve hung. 

Heyes quickly slid between the two men. “I’ll get to fixing that right away, Mr. Grimes. Thaddeus here will finish up storing away the oats, won’t you, Thaddeus?” The icy blue glare slid away from it’s target and locked on brown eyes. “Won’t you, Thaddeus?” repeated Heyes harshly.

Not trusting himself to speak, the Kid turned back to the wheelbarrow and began shoveling as slowly as possible.

Heyes switched his attention to the rancher. “I see the missus is putting out lunch on the veranda. Why don’t you go pour yourself a tall glass of her delicious lemonade and enjoy your meal.  I’ll have that fence mended and help Thaddeus finish up here before you’re done.”

Grimes grunted. “See that it holds this time or you’ll be out of a job. Both of you!”

“Yessir,” responded Heyes. Watching until Grimes was out of earshot, Heyes then spun around and opened his mouth, but was abruptly cut off by his partner.

“Save it, Heyes. I heard it all before.”

“Kid…”

“I said save it!” snapped Curry.

“We have enough.”

“What?”

“When Grimes pays us after lunch, we quit. The stage comes through at five tonight. When I picked up Mrs. Grimes dry goods in town this morning, I booked us two seats to Wright’s Mesa. We’ll have enough left over to stake us a couple of nags when we get there.” Heyes waited until the words sunk in and then he grinned in response to the Kid’s beaming smile.

“Well, don’t just stand there, partner. Go fix the damn fence!” 

###

Heyes wheeled the barrow up the planking that led to the top of the tall silo and dumped the last of the grain inside before sliding the loading door shut. He climbed down the ladder. The Kid was carefully checking the latch that prevented the oats from pouring out of the bottom chute and spilling onto the ground. “I ain’t takin’ any chances, Heyes.”

###

Quitting did not go well but at least they’d filled their bellies on Mrs. Grimes’ chicken and dumplings before bringing the subject up. The couple had reacted exactly how Heyes had imagined. Their money had been shoved at them, after no small amount of haggling, and they’d been given only minutes to pack the little gear they had. 

Heyes buckled his saddlebags and slung them over his shoulder as he turned to see the Kid was strapping on his holster.

“You really need to wear that?” he asked skeptically.

With a jerk of his head, the Kid redirected Heyes to the sight of Grimes stepping off his veranda, a scattergun in his hands. Heyes groaned. “Don’t.” He followed the Kid outside, his stomach in knots.

“You two march your tails the hell off my property or I’m filling your seats with buckshot!” yelled Grimes, gesturing towards the road. He followed them as far as the large shadow thrown by the silo and stood hurling invectives. 

The two ex-outlaws had just reached the ranch gate when the boom of the shotgun went off and shot riddled the top of the gateposts. Heyes ducked low but the Kid spun around, his gun already in his hand, and fired. Reluctantly, Heyes looked back, afraid to see. The latch to the grain silo was gone and several tons of oats had already buried Grimes up to his neck, yet he still manage to scream threats and insults. Mrs. Grimes and the two kids were standing on the porch gaping at him. Heyes started to chuckle.

“Told you, I’d plant ‘im.”

“You did a fine job, too.  By the time they dig old man Grimes out, we’ll be halfway to the mesa, but let’s hurry anyways.”

“Happy to.”  

GemHenry, rachel741 and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

March Empty
PostSubject: Re: March   March Empty

Back to top Go down

March
Page 1 of 1