Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ice

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Ice Empty
PostSubject: Ice   Ice EmptyWed Dec 01, 2021 5:57 am

Time for a festive challenge. Your prompt for December is 
freezing cold
Ice
Christmas Smiley
And that can be any take on the prompt your fertile imagination can take on it. It can be actual ice, an icy stare, something being kept 'on ice', cake icing, or even slang for diamonds.

What are you waiting for? Get writing. 
Back to top Go down
https://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
rachel741

rachel741

Ice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice   Ice EmptyMon Dec 06, 2021 5:59 am

Ice.
A Valpo childhood tale. Just two boys and a conversation.
Hannibal sat looking out of their dormitory window, watching the snow fall as the sun came up. He turned away from the appealing view and his face broke into a smile as an idea struck him. His eyes swept the rows of beds that were full of still sleeping boys before he snuck quietly over to his cousin's bunk and prodded him hard, startling him awake. He sat up quickly as his hand went automatically for the slingshot that was always at the side of his bed. “Wha-a?”

C'mon Jed, it's snowing. We can go build a snowman or have a snowball fight or something. Everyone else is still asleep so we get it all to ourselves till they wake up.”

Jed glared at him and shuffled back down under the quilt, showing no interest at all as he snapped. “Go back to bed Hannibal. It's Saturday. It's c-cold and everyone else is right, it's way too early to be awake.” After another fierce look, Jed lay back down and pulled the comforter up to his chin, before turning away. Hannibal stayed where he was bent over the bed and sighed heavily at the back of his friend's head, the only part of him still visible.

He knew that the younger boy was simply ignoring him, hoping he'd give up and go back to bed. Hannibal also knew that before; Jed would have been up and dressed on the word 'snowing.'

Annoyed, he blew out a heavy breath and decided that just because Jed was a slug a bed, it didn't mean he had to be. “Well, suit yourself but I'm going out. Bet the lake is iced over too, I might go skating or fishing. Don't need you around to have fun.” That wasn't exactly true, as he always enjoyed himself more when Jed was along, but he was tired of trying to coax his friend into doing things that he used to enjoy before. All he ever wanted to do lately if Hannibal let him, was sleep and practice shooting targets with the slingshot he'd made out of the wood he'd rescued from the burnt out remains of his family's barn.

At his words Jed gave up the pretence of sleeping and turned back to face him, sitting up abruptly with his face pulled down into a worried frown. “You can't! It's cold and you might get lost or fall in the water and drown- especially if I ain't there!”

I'm bigger and older than you, Jed, I don't need you looking out for me. You're just no fun anymore and I'm sick of it. Ain't like you're the only one who lost their folks so you're just being plain selfish.” The words were out before Hannibal could stop them. He knew that resentment and worry were not a reasonable excuse for being so cruel. His Ma would have been ashamed of him. Hannibal wished he could take the words back and his stomach clenched as his friend's face crumpled. He flinched when as he reached out to touch his shoulder, the younger boy pulled back from him as if burnt, his eyes unnaturally bright as he worried his bottom lip in an obvious attempt to stop from crying.

Jed turned away from him, before looking down to study his hands as he mumbled. “I know and I'm sorry. I- it just don't seem right to have fun no more. If we'd been where we was supposed to be maybe our folks wouldn't have died.”

Hannibal felt his eyes prick with tears at the sheer misery in his friend's voice and again cursed his sudden burst of temper. He'd promised himself after they'd buried their families that he'd look out for Jed now it was just them. Swallowing hard against the lump in his throat, Hannibal said softly. “Weren't nothing we coulda' done, Jed, 'cept maybe get killed too.”

Jed shrugged and still looking down said softly. “I know it ain't fair that folk expect you to look after me. I'll do better I promise.”

Hannibal reached out again to squeeze his cousin's shoulder, relieved when this time he leant into the touch with a soft huff of breath. “It ain't a problem, Jed. Besides we look after each other, just like our folks woulda' wanted us to. You got Billy Marks good with that pebble when he was trying to steal my lunch last week. He won't try nothing again.”

Jed managed to drag his gaze up to meet Hannibal's eyes, a whisper of a smile on his face. “Yeah and no one else did figure out who fired it neither, cos you hid the slingshot real good before anyone had time to spot it.” Jed glanced towards the window and gazed briefly at the snow still falling before he turned back. “You think the lake will be frozen nice and hard?”

Hannibal nodded firmly. “With all this weather we been having, reckon it'll be frozen solid. We just make sure we don't go too far away from the edge, so if it cracks, we got time to get back to shore safe.”

Nebraska Wildfire, Kattayl and ingin6 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Kattayl

Ice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice   Ice EmptyMon Dec 13, 2021 7:58 pm

Ice
Challenge for December 2021

Angry, Hannibal Heyes, new leader of the Devil’s Hole Gang, pushed his horse to go faster through the sloppy mud and driving rain.  Paying no attention to his men racing behind him, he allowed the fury to engulf him, pushing aside all rational thought.  

'How dare they change a Hannibal Heyes' plan?’  His annoyance grew with each minute, each mile.  ‘A plan that was thought out to the very last detail!’

Pulling his coat collar up so that the sideways rain did not run down his neck and back, his anger raged.  This was the fifth precise bank robbery he had planned since he took over for Big Jim Santana.  The third since he had persuaded the Kid to come join the gang.  Each of the others went off precisely yielding big and bigger hauls for the gang.  Why had no one done as planned this time?

Watching Heyes ride into the Hole without signaling, Jedidiah “Kid” Curry quickly drew and fired the warning shots to the guards.

Heyes handed his horse off to the McWinter boys working the stable.  “Tell them as they come in you’ll take care of all the horses.  I need to talk to everyone.  NOW!”  

Feeling his anger, they simply answered, “Yes, sir,” and moved to grab Curry’s horse.

Pacing in the rain, Heyes purposefully circled the outside of the bunkhouse twice before entering.  When he did, his brown eyes had turned black with fury.  Curry sat in a corner with the rest of the gang gathered around the long table, waiting for the spoils of the robbery to be divided.

Throwing his bulging saddle bags on the table, Heyes stood still, hands on hips and looked around the room.  No set of eyes escaped his outrage.

Kyle’s eyes kept going back to the saddlebags.  “Heyes, we get as much as you thought?”

Black eyes flaring, Heyes took a step toward Kyle.

“Heyes?”.

“Kyle, just where were you and the horses?”

“Aw, Heyes, it was rainin’, and I was feelin’ sorry for them, so I moved them further down the alley under the overhang on the side of the sheriff’s office.”

“And you thought that was a good place for them?”

‘Yeah, were drier there for them.  Was a good place until that deputy saw us standin’ there doing nothin’ but waitin’.  Guess it didn’t help that I spat some tobacco juice on his pant leg.  It were an accident, Heyes.  I swear it was.”  Kyle’s eyes were pleading now, all thoughts of the money were forgotten.  

“And when he asked what you were doing there?”

“Didn’t rightly know what to say so I said some gamblers in the saloon who didn’t want their horses to stand outside in the rain were payin’ me to keep them dry.  He believed me, too, after I apologized for spittin’ on him.”

“Kyle…” Heyes shook his head in frustration as his gaze fell onto Hank and Matt.  Unable to bear the anger in his eyes, they studied their hands on the table.  “You two!” Heyes yelled.  “You two…Just what were you doing when you were supposed to be watching the street and the alley?”

“Well…er…we was trying to help a pretty lady get her buggy unstuck from the mud in the street.  Real grateful she was she didn’t have to get out into the rain.”

“And while you were doing this, who was watching the front door of the bank?”

“Twern’t even a minute or so.”  Hank squirmed in his seat. 

“It was longer than that.  No one was watching the front door when the sheriff walked by.  No one!”  His annoyed exasperation forced his voice louder.  Holding their gaze, his eyes turned darker and blacker.

Then he turned his fury on Lom.  “And you, Lom?  You’re the levelheaded, experienced member of the gang.  What were you doing when you were supposed to be the lookout on the second story of the building across the street?”  His blazing black eyes waited for an answer he already knew.

“I went downstairs to help when the rain collapsed the boardwalk.”  Lom’s voice was steady, more confident than the others, but even he could not hide the tremor at Heyes’ uncontrolled anger.  “Least I was able to give Kid the signal that the sheriff was walking your way when Hank and Matt didn’t see him.”

“A warning that came too late! He was shaking the front door handle before we knew he was near.  And the chaos caused by that collapsed boardwalk could have been a good diversion for us to get away.”

Lom started to retort but was cut off.

“And Wheat, where were you?  You were NOT watching the backdoor of the bank.”

“I made the decision to watch from the backdoor of the saloon where it was dry.”  Wheat’s bravado was false, knowing he had left his post just like the others.

Again, Heyes surveyed one by one, letting his dark anger settle over them.

“And you!”  He turned the black fury in his eyes on Curry.  “What did you think you were doing?  This is your third job riding with me and you’re not bright enough to know what to do?”

The hurt surprise in Curry’s eyes did nothing to stop Heyes’ tirade.  

“Every few minutes you were lifting that curtain to see what was going on outside.  Anyone passing might have seen you.  Kept talking to me about what was going on outside when you know I need quiet to concentrate to open safes, especially a newer model like that.  Just what were you thinking?”  Heyes picked up the full saddle bags and turned, but not before his parting shot.

“You weren’t thinking.  None of you were.  You should be glad that my plan was so well thought out that we still managed to rob that bank of over $10,000.  No thanks to any of you…Maybe I should have done it by myself.”  He stormed out of the bunkhouse, slamming the door behind him.

Striding through the rain to the leader’s cabin, Heyes felt better he had released his frustrations.  Next time, none of them would step out of line.  Laying his saddlebacks on the table, he decided to start a fire and put on some coffee before sitting down with the Kid to count and divide the take.  Yes, he decided, he was definitely feeling better. 

The door swung open with a bang as it hit the wall.  Curry stood just inside the doorway, not bothering to close the door.  

Back to Curry, Heyes picked up two mugs for coffee and a bottle of whiskey.  “Close the door, Kid.  You’re letting in the cold, wind and rain.  I know you weren’t raised in a barn,” he said jokingly.  Nothing pleased him more than having finally reunited with his cousin a few weeks ago.  Kid was the only person he could be himself around and feel comfortable.

When there was no response, Heyes turned around.  Curry had assumed his gunfighter stance, legs slightly apart, hands resting on his holster.  He showed no emotion, so Heyes approached him.  “Kid?”

Brown eyes watched as blue eyes turned to ice.  Curry stood so still he didn’t even blink.  Heyes felt contained fury growing behind those eyes.

“Kid?”

Knowing he now had Heyes’ full attention, Curry spoke in a controlled monotone.  “DON’T YOU EVER SPEAK TO ME THAT WAY, AGAIN!”

Heyes dropped back a step as if the words had pushed him. “Ah, sorry Kid…”

“I will not stand for bein’ on the receivin’ end of one of your arrogant tantrums, Han.  I joined you as partners; that ain’t what it was tonight.”

The only sounds in the cabin were the fire crackling and the cold wind whistling in the open door.  So much silence bothered Heyes.  He rubbed his hands together to warm them but realized they were sweaty.  

Smiling his best smile, he tried to use his silver tongue.  “Kid, come in.  Close the door.”  When there was no movement from Curry, Heyes continued talking nervously, “I’m sorry; let’s talk about it.”

Shaking his head, Curry’s eyes remained cold as ice and stayed focused on Heyes.  “Ain’t talkin’ bout it.  Ain’t stayin’ in here tonight.  Ain’t sure I’m stayin’ with your gang.”  

The hurt look on Heyes’ face didn’t reach Curry.

Saying words he could only say to his cousin, Heyes’ voice softened.  Curry heard a hint of pleading.  “Kid, please.  I was just letting off steam.  Everything went wrong.  I was scared we’d get caught or worse someone would get hurt.”  Heyes moved to close the open door, but Curry stopped him.

Suddenly afraid that the Kid might actually leave again, Heyes pleaded sincerely, “Kid, I need you.  Together we can make this gang successful.  You and me, together, are the leaders of an outlaw gang just like we’d pretend when we were kids.”

Hearing a flash of the youthful Han come through, Curry understood his fears but wasn’t in a forgiving mood after being embarrassed in front of the gang.  “Like I said, you will never talk to me that way again.”

“I won’t.  I’m sorry; I was just so angry.”

Seeing Heyes shake his head, Curry continued, his eyes melting to sky blue.  “That hissy fit tantrum you just threw in front of the gang might have lost us some good men.  None of them deserved to listen to your hysterics.  You want to be the leader of the gang, act like it.  Lead men.  That’s not what you did in that bunkhouse tonight.  That was the tantrum of a wayward boy who didn’t get his way even though the robbery was successful.”

Curry’s words sunk in as Heyes realized his angry speech made him feel better but others worse.  Thinking of the shattered look on Kyle’s face, Heyes felt guilty.  “I’ll go talk to them now.”

“No, you won’t talk to them now.  Like me, they’re too angry and hurt to hear anything you say.  Wait until tomorrow when you bring them their cuts.  Might even give them part of yours as an apology.”

“Apology!  I will not,” Heyes started.  Then, seeing the wisdom in Curry’s suggestion, he continued, “Yeah, apology,” he agreed.

“Heyes, you’re angry that you lost control of others' actions.  Your plans are planned so none of us can sneeze if we need to.  Since Kansas, you’ve needed control.  Reason we split is you tried to control me.  Ain’t gonna happen.”

“I won’t…Kid, give me another chance.  We’re better together.  I’m better when we are partners.”

“I’m goin’ sleep in the bunkhouse tonight.”  Curry’s voice still sounded cold to Heyes, but the ice in his eyes was melting.  “If I decide to stay, I’ll try to smooth this over a bit for ya.   IF I decide to stay.”

“Kid, stay.  I’m sorry.  We’re best together.  We’re partners.  I couldn’t say that last time we split up but I’m saying it now.  Please stay.”

Leaving the door open, Curry finally walked into the cabin and put his right hand on Heyes’ left shoulder.  He searched Heyes’ eyes as if looking for the truth.  “I’ll think about it.”  Grabbing a quilt from his bed, Curry left without another glance or word.

Sitting at the bunkhouse table where he could see the leader’s cabin through the window, Curry wrapped himself in his quilt and poured himself a drink.  Keeping the whiskey bottle near, he leaned back until the chair balanced on its two back legs.  Thinking about Heyes, he finally allowed the hurt on Heyes’ face to penetrate his consciousness.  He tried to decide if he felt justified or guilty.

The light in the leader's cabin was still on.  Heyes’ shadow could be seen pacing through the curtainless windows.  All night he was back and forth circling the small worktable again and again, never pausing, never stopping.  And all-night Curry watched…and thought.

The morning broke gloomy, still drizzling.  Curry watched Heyes’ shadow bend over the table for a few minutes then stand straight and stride to the bunkhouse.  He entered without knocking to find Curry sitting at the table, an empty bottle was in front of him.  He held a second half-emptied bottle in his hand.

“Glad you feel disposed to join the unthinkin’ members of the gang, Heyes,” Curry said sarcastically, turning to avoid looking at his cousin.

Kyle looked from Curry to Heyes.  “He’s been sittin’ there all night, Heyes, just starin’ out the window and drinkin’.  Been quiet, real quiet.”

Heyes swallowed hard.  Running his fingers through his wet hair, he realized he had forgotten his hat and coat, so intent was on getting to the bunkhouse.

He stood at the head of the table, in a pose similar to the previous night.

“Heyes, if you gonna tell us what unthinking oafs we are again, just leave,” Wheat sputtered.  

“No.”  After another deep swallow, Heyes looked at each man before him.  “I came to apologize to you.  Each of you.  As it was pointed out to me by my partner, I was out of line last night.  I was the one not thinking.”  Once Heyes decided to apologize, he knew he had to do it all the way.  “I was wrong talking to you like that.  I’m sorry.”

The room was quiet, no one moved, finding it hard to believe that Hannibal Heyes had actually apologized.  “And if you don’t want me to be your leader, I’ll understand and leave today.”

“Aww, Heyes, you’re the bestest leader we ever had,” Kyle started, and the others all agreed.

Taking a sigh of relief, Heyes held up the stacks of money he had brought.  “Here’s your shares.  To show I was sorry, I didn’t take a share this time.”

“You didn’t keep none for yourself?” Hank questioned, not believing what he had heard.

“Nope.”  Heyes sounded proud of himself.

Approaching Curry, Heyes put his share on the table in front of him.  Smelling the alcohol, Heyes took in the empty bottle, then the half empty bottle.  “You drink all of this yourself, partner?”

Curry’s eyes told him he had gone a step too far.  

“We still partners, Han?  I’m not sure no more,`` Curry slurred his words.  The question was of a lifetime lived and a lifetime ahead.

“Always, Kid, always.  Let me help you back to our cabin and you can get some sleep.”  

Curry reached back and grabbed the open bottle before allowing Heyes to support him under one arm as they walked from the bunkhouse.  Halfway back, Curry pulled loose and stopped, seeming not to notice the drizzling rain.

“Heyes, if you want to be partners, you gotta know you ain’t the boss of me.  We gotta be equal partners.”

“Equal partners, Kid.”

“And I ain’t unthinkin’.  I was tryin’ to keep you safe in the bank.”

“I know, Kid.  It was me that wasn’t thinking.”

Curry leaned again on Heyes, and they continued toward the cabin.

“Kid, a lot of the time you’re real smart, smarter than me.  I’m smart about figuring things out.  You’re smart about people.”

“I ain’t good about figurin’ things out?” Curry asked, staggering up the steps.  Heyes heard hurt in the question.

“You can be really good about helping me figure out my plans.  You listen and tell me what I’m missing and how to make them better.”

“Then you need me for more than my gun?”

Surprised at the question, Heyes thought before answering.  Looking at Curry, the ice of last night was gone from his eyes.  Alcohol had allowed the little boy Jed to show himself, looking at him, needing his older cousin to need him.

“Yes, I need you, Kid, and not just for your gun.  You’re my best friend, always was.  Always will be.”

At Curry’s smile, Heyes knew his apology had been accepted.  He also knew he never wanted to get Kid Curry riled up at him again.

When he had gotten Curry settled in bed, Heyes heard a knock on the cabin door.

“Lom, what do you need?”

“Just came to say goodbye, Heyes.”  Looking in Curry’s bedroom, he heard him snoring loudly, sleeping on top of the quilt, clothes on, holster and boots off.  “Maybe you’ll say goodbye to the Kid for me.”  He smiled.

“Goodbye?  Lom, I said I was sorry about last night.”  Without letting it show, Heyes started to panic.  What if everyone in the gang left?

“Yeah, apology accepted.  Last night just pushed me over the edge.  Been thinking about quitting this life for awhile now.  Helping those people yesterday when the boardwalk collapsed felt good.  Think I’ll try the other side of the law for a while.”

“You don’t have to leave.”  Then Heyes realized what Lom was trying to tell him.  “Wait, you want to be a lawman, Lom?”

“Might give it a try.  Got an uncle wants me to be his deputy in a small town called Porterville.”  At Heyes' concerned look, Lom continued, “Don’t worry, Heyes; I don’t know where Devil’s Hole is, never been there.  Don’t know what any of the Devil’s Hole gang look like; never met them.”  Lom smiled and winked.  “Maybe might even like it if you and the Kid came and visited once in a while, using different names, of course.”

“Good luck, Lom.  I’ll miss you.”  Heyes reached out his hand.

Shaking Heyes’ hand, Lom smiled.  “Goodbye, Heyes.  If there is ever anything honest I can do for you, let me know.”

Nebraska Wildfire and ingin6 like this post

Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

Ice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice   Ice EmptyThu Dec 30, 2021 1:41 pm

The warmth of the saloon hit two cold and tired ex-outlaws as they opened a heavy oaken door and entered the smoky log cabin.  The odors of stale beer and sweat were next to assault their senses, but as their eyes adjusted to the gloomy light, the Kid and Heyes saw the happy faces of several of their former gang members.  Wheat and Kyle were sitting near the front of the room and each wore a huge, welcoming grin. Behind them at the next table, sat Lobo, Hank, and the Preacher.  At the bar stood Ike Wilson and Chuck Langdon smiling sheepishly.  The Kid and Heyes hadn’t seen either of them since they’d decided to go for the amnesty!  Chuck’s real name was Joe, but he’d been dubbed Chuck short for chuckwagon when he’d become a cook.  Most surprising of all, the Devil’s Hole gang’s other longtime cook, Gully, stood behind the plank and barrel bar.  In his hands, he held up two glasses and a bottle of fine whiskey.  From all the smiling, it was plain he’d been busy and generous.  Cheers arose and yells of “Congratulations” and “Hurrah” filled the small building.

Smiling, the Kid started working his way around, shaking hands and slapping backs.  Heyes walked over to the bar and accepted a filled glass from Gully, then turned and lifted it high.  “To good friends!”  He downed his drink in one gulp and slammed it on the bar top.  Gully quickly refilled it.  “Thanks, Gully, it’s real good to see you.  So, this is where you ran off to, huh?”

The short, gray-haired man shook his head, “Nope. This is where I’ve ended up at.  Traveled a bit, then figured I’d invest my money from that last job we pulled together.  Welcome, to Gully’s Drinking Emporium and Café.”

“You always were smarter than the rest of us,” replied Heyes.  He walked over to the Preacher and shook hands with his old friend.  “Did you plan this rodeo?”

“Can’t say as I did.  Wheat here got the old gang together.  Said you two finally got your amnesty.  That true?” Tall and gaunt, the Preacher was still dressed in the old, dark suit he had favored at the Hole.  “You never can tell with Wheat.”

“It’s true.  It finally came through a couple of weeks ago.  We got a telegram from Lom congratulating us and telling us to meet him here but not to say anything to anyone.  Guess now we know why he chose such an out of the way spot.”

The Kid had walked over and joined the conversation, frowning, “Made us right nervous.  Thought maybe he was gonna say it was all a mistake.”

Heyes nodded agreement.  “We are pretty surprised to find out it’s a gathering of old friends. Old and possibly wanted friends.”

A bear paw of a hand settled on Heyes’ shoulder and he turned slightly towards his former lieutenant, Wheat Carlson, who gathered him into a tight hug then abruptly released him; both embarrassed.  “Lom woulda been here, but he couldn’t risk it. Not being the law and all.  He sends his best.  This here’s all that could make it.  Some of the boys we didn’t know how to reach and the others…well, they’d have been here if they could.”

Touched, Heyes took another gulp of his whiskey to hide his emotions.  He and Wheat had been like oil and water, but the big man had always been loyal.  “It’s real good to see you, Wheat, all of you.  Are you still at the Hole?”

Kyle Murtry appeared next to his former boss.  “Naw, me and Wheat left a few years after you.  Just wasn’t the same no more.  Struck out on our own for a while but left the gang for good last fall.  We’re  workin’ on our Spanish with some real pretty sin-yor-ritas in Juarez.”

“Guess you became honest citizens before Heyes and me,” said the Kid. 

“I never said nothing ‘bout honest,” chuckled Wheat.  “We just needed a little chance of scenery.”

“Heyes, Kid, come on over and sit down with the rest of us,” yelled Hank.  He and the others had pushed several tables together and were seated.  Gully and Chuck appeared with several steaming dishes of fragrant food.

“Come and get it afore it gets cold!”  Chuck waved them over.

Soon outlaw and ex-outlaw alike finished eating and sat back, swapping stories of the old days and tales of what they’d been doing since they’d last seen each other.  Memories of the Devil’s Hole gang’s triumphs dominated the night.

“You remember that job we pulled in Big Piney in the dead of winter? Damn that place was cold,” said Lobo.

“I’d forgotten ‘bout that one.”  Hank shivered involuntarily despite the warmth of the cabin.
“Ain’t no wonder,” laughed Kyle.  “You froze your butt to the saddle tryin’ to shake that posse.  Tore your pants just gettin’ off your horse.”  The rest of the table hooted and jeered before the Preacher spoke up.  “That’s when I knew we were riding with a genuine genius.  You, remember, Heyes?  You had the blacksmith put those cleats on our horses’ shoes.”

Lobo jumped in. “I remember that one.  Wheat argued with you ‘til he was blue in the face that you was gonna lame our mounts, but we were sure glad to have ‘em when that posse almost cornered us at North Piney Creek.” 

The Kid leaned into the back of his chair until the front legs lifted off the floor.  He patted his belly happily.  “I’ll never forget the look on that sheriff’s face when he tried to get his men to follow us across. It was frozen solid.  Those horses were almost running in place when they crashed through the ice.”

“Yeah, I gotta admit Heyes was right about that one,” said Wheat, smiling at the memory.  “We traipsed across that creek pretty as you please.  Got clean away.  That sheriff sure was ornery about it, too. Some of them curses were right inventive.”

“To Heyes and the Kid,” said Preacher, holding up his glass.  “The two most successful outlaws the west has ever known!”

Heyes looked around the table at the raised glasses and rosy glows on his friends’ faces as the Kid leaned over to him and softly said, “Don’t be gettin’ any ideas, Heyes.  They were good times, but there’s better ahead.”

Stepha3nie, fledge23, Nebraska Wildfire, rachel741 and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice   Ice Empty

Back to top Go down

Ice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction  :: Writer's Area - Please email Admin to get your own thread for your stories. Use a new thread for each story. Please comment after the story. :: Challenge Stories :: Challenge Rules and Rota :: Challenge Story-
Jump to: