Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

(In)famous

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

(In)famous Empty
PostSubject: (In)famous   (In)famous EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 5:03 am

It's August, and as you enjoy summer, it's time for you to enjoy a few stories too. 

Your prompt for this month, if you chose to take up the challenge, is:

(In)famous
cowboy 9
So, you can give us your best take on the boys either being famous or infamous, or of an encounter with anyone, living, dead, or imaginary who fits that description.

Get writing!
Computer smash   
Back to top Go down
https://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
Kattayl

(In)famous Empty
PostSubject: Re: (In)famous   (In)famous EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 12:56 am

Written for challenge (In)famous - Set during Devil's Hole Days 

The robbery had gone “Hannibal Heyes Plan” perfect except for one thing, the getaway.  After robbing Hobart Bank and Mining in the town of Hobart Grove, the Devil’s Hole Gang had rendezvoused at Plain Top Ridge about an hour out of town.  Heyes gave everyone $1500 and instructions to disperse in groups of two to preplanned destinations meeting at Devil’s Hole in three weeks, no earlier, no later.  The remainder of the take would be distributed then. 

“Heyes, why do you and the Kid get to go to Denver?” whined Wheat.  “And you’re sending Kyle and I to Brooke City.  They only got one saloon and a fleabag hotel.” 

Taking a patient breath, Heyes answered, “Not Denver itself, the Kid and I are scouting our next job in Centennial, near Denver.  That’s why we’re going there.  You drew Brooke City out of the hat all fair and square, Wheat.” 

Kid cut him off, “Heyes, boys, I do believe that’s a posse in the distance.  Let’s ride!” 

“Good Luck, boys.  See you all in three weeks,” Heyes added. Turning his horse towards Centennial, he nodded to Curry saying, “Follow me. Partner.” 

The gang dispersed quickly.  With money in their pockets, they got down to the job of losing the posse.   

ASJ------------ASJ----------ASJ----------ASJ----------ASJ 

Entering the outskirts of Centennial, Heyes and Curry slowed their frantic pace.  They had not seen the posse since they crossed the last stream.  Following the main road into town, Curry’s senses were alert, but he was tired.   

“Feel like we been runnin’ for days and days.” Curry told his partner now riding next to him.  “Old Blackie’s worn out too.  I’m sure he needs new shoes, these are plum worn down.” 

Curry pulled up his horse and held his arm out to stop Heyes, squinting through the sun into the distance. 

“Can’t see a danged thing up there, Kid.  What are you seeing?”  asked Heyes, realizing the Kid’s vision was more acute. 

“Looks like a broken-down wagon.  Left wheel’s in the ditch.”  Curry squinted again.  “Could be a trap, I see two people standing there not trying to fix it.” 

Heyes felt the caution in Curry’s voice spread through him too.   

“Don’t think theys seen us yet.”  Curry continued.  “You ride straight, and I will cover you from those trees.  Just give me a minute head start.” 

As he approached, Heyes realized the two people were women.  The one in charge wore a long black skirt.  Her straight hair was perfectly parted in the center and pulled back to a bun low on her neck. 

Heyes tipped his hat.  “Ma’am, looks like you’ve had a bit of trouble.  Something we can help you with?” 

The woman scrutinized him with the ardor of a teacher eyeing a child who had just been caught throwing a spitball.   

“What’s your name, young man?” she asked, her voice strong and sure. “And who is this we?” 

“I’m Joshua Smith.  And this is my partner, Thaddeus Jones.” He finished pointing to his cousin emerging from the nearby trees. 

“I’m Miss Anthony and yes your help would be most welcome.  I’ll pay you of course.” 

Curry pulled his horse up next to the wagon.  “If one of you ladies could direct the horse toward the road, Joshua and I will push from the side.  Soon as the wheel gets out of the ditch, stop.” 

Following instructions, the wagon was on the road in a few minutes, but it was obvious the wheel needed replacing. 

“Mr. Smith, I must be at the Farmhouse Ranch within the hour.  I have an important speech to give at a rally there.  May I hire you two to change the wheel?  I believe there’s a spare one in the bed.” 

Heyes smiled agreeably and looked at Curry knowing he would have no objection to helping the needy. 

“What kind of speech are you giving at a ranch, Miss Anthony?  Seems to me it will be mostly men there.  If its temperance, they’ll not listen long,” Heyes said, preparing to help Curry take off the broker wheel.   

“No, it’s on suffrage.  Women’s suffrage.” 

Curry studied the woman before speaking.  “Ma’am, if there’s women suffering somewhere you don’t need to give a speech.  We’ll help you.  Can’t abide with no woman suffering,” he said earnestly.  “Are they nearby?” 

Finally, a smile graced the woman’s face as she explained.  “Equal rights for women, Mr. Jones.  And equal pay for the same work.” 

Seeing confusion on his face she gave him an example.  “I was in a town yesterday called Hobart; do you know it?” 

A nervous look flashed between the partners. 

“Yes, we know it.  Ain’t been there for a while though.” answered Heyes cautiously. 

“Well, I was in the bank conducting some business.  Have you been in the bank?” she asked, oblivious to the looks the men were sharing. 

Heyes answered for them.  “Ain’t been in the bank there.” 

“Well it doesn’t matter if you haven’t been in there.  They have three clerks there all doing the same thing, working at window and helping customers, two women and one man.  Do you know that man makes more than both of those women put together?” 

With the new wheel attached, Heyes leaned against the side of the wagon.  “Man got a family?” 

He saw Miss Anthony bristle at the question. “That is not the issue.  There must be equal pay for equal work,” she answered emphatically. 

Turning she addressed Curry.  “And I am speaking for woman to get the vote.  That is their right.  Our Declaration of Independence said ‘We the people not we the white male citizens..... I am sorry for lecturing you here.  This is part of my speech.  I hope you will come listen to me.”  She saw their hesitation.  “Of course, food and punch will be served too.” 

Heyes broke into his dimpled smile.  “My partner here never turns away food, do you Thaddeus?” 

Curry’s smile made his blue eyes twinkle.  “That’s right, Ma’am.” 

“May I ask why this rally is so important, Miss Anthony?”  Her cause had caught Heyes imagination. 

She answered his question with a question, “Where do you live, gentlemen?” 

Before Heyes could concoct a lie, Curry volunteered, “Wyoming.” 

Miss Anthony smiled, “No wonder.  Wyoming women already have the vote.  There is no need to vote for it there.  Colorado became a state just last year in 1876.  Now they’re voting to give women the vote.  I traveled here to hold rally to get that approved.” As she talked, she climbed back in the wagon. “Thank you, sirs, for your help,” she said handing them two dollars. 

Heyes tried to give them back to her. “No, you earned this.  Thank you for your timely help.  Remember, as I say in my speech, ‘There never will be complete equality until women themselves help to make laws and elect lawmakers.’” 

She waved her hand goodbye. 

“We goin’ to that rally, Heyes?”  asked Curry.  “She did say there’s food.  Maybe someone there can reshoe this horse.” 

“Yeah, Kid, let’s go here what she has to say about this women’s suffrage and get your horse shoed.   Yes, yes and eat.” 

Note:  The referendum for woman’s voting right in Colorado was defeated in 1877.  However, Colorado did become one of the first states to enact women’s suffrage by popular referendum in 1893.

Javabee, fledge23 and Nebraska Wildfire like this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

(In)famous Empty
PostSubject: Infamous   (In)famous EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 4:17 am

The Kid and Heyes experience two sides to being (In)famous. Post amnesty.

Kid Curry looked up from his study of the stage timetable, feeling someone watching him. His eyes rested on a young boy, no more than eight looking at him with admiration clear in his eyes. His hair was as dark as Heyes' and as curly as his own. He looked well cared for and nicely dressed. The Kid sighed quietly in frustration as he thought. Damn it, not again.

In the last few months as news of his pardon and Heyes' amnesty spread, he'd faced this almost exact same expression ten times already. He didn't think anyone, especially not a boy obviously well looked after should choose his and Heyes' path. He knew exactly what was coming and also knew from the previous encounters, that any attempt on his part to explain to the boy that their lives were nowhere near as glamorous as those stupid stories made out would be ignored.

“You're Kid Curry ain't you? I've read all them dime novels about you and your partner. Is he here too? I'd love to tell Billy and Seth that I met ya both! But if he ain't that don't matter either. They'll be real jealous I met Kid Curry. My Pa says since you was an outlaw, I oughta not admire you. But he and Ma still let me read those stories about you.” The young boy looked at his feet and scuffed his shoes in the dirt before he looked up. “I usually listen to my Pa, but I ain't sure he's right. It says in them papers that Pa reads sometimes, that you was in prison and saved someone's life. Heyes made sure some criminals got put away proper so he could free you. That don't sound as if you is bad people. I want to be just like you two when I grow up.”

The Kid heard footsteps  and turned to look. It was with some relief that he saw Heyes had come up behind him. “Oh, Kid, see you've gone and found another new friend. I really oughta buy you a pipe and something nice and bright to wear."

Curry looked at his partner in exasperation and rolled his eyes, not quite getting what Heyes was implying, but figuring it was likely insulting.

Heyes grinned at him innocently, before turning to speak to the boy. “So, I'm thinking you've not been formally introduced. One of the few things them dime novels get right is that my partner here ain't much of a talker. He also tends to forget his manners.”

The Kid poked Heyes in the shoulder in some irritation as he said in warning. “Heyes.”

The boys eyes widened, “You're Hannibal Heyes!” The lad looked about ready to float up into the air in excitement as he realised he was meeting two of the most famous outlaws of the recent past. “Seth is gonna be green! He's only met Wyatt Earp- he ain't half as interestin' as you two.” As he took a breath, Heyes gently interrupted.

“And what's your name, son?”

“Oh. Um. It's Tom.”

Heyes with a look over at the Kid, saw the discomfort in his face. His smile became a little gentler and he patted him on the shoulder, before turning back to the boy. “Well, Tom...”

“Well, well, well, didn't you used to be Kid Curry? Heard you died...And I'm betting your friend there is Hannibal Heyes. You two don't look real impressive to me.”

Heyes and the Kid turned in unison to look at the man who'd addressed them. He was tall and thin, with a beaked nose and a nasty scar running down his cheek. They exchanged glances, before shrugging, nope they didn't know him. His was hardly a face they'd have forgotten. Curry turned to the young boy who was watching the unfolding drama with wide-eyes. “Tom, I think you'd better run along home. This ain't gonna be pretty.”

The boy hesitated for a moment, but then nodded and ran off. The Kid wasn't foolish enough to think the boy would go home, but hopefully he'd have enough sense to keep safely out of the way.

“Look, Mr?”

"Loftus, Marcus Loftus.”

Damn, Heyes knew the name, if not the face. He ran with the Bitter Creek Gang, a nasty bunch.

“Well, Mr Loftus- there isn't any used to be about my partner. I think it'd be wiser all round if you just walk on by.”

He glanced over at his partner, who was looking resigned, with his hand hovering by his gun, but showing no intention of drawing. Prison had made Kid's temper far less hair trigger. Heyes was always more than a little surprised to discover that sometimes he missed that tendency. It made little sense really, because Kid's temper had annoyed him more times than he could count, throughout their long years as friends and partners.

“You would say that, Heyes now, wouldn't you?”

Heyes sighed and looked over at Kid who instead of slipping into his gunfighter stance had folded his arms across his chest “Mr Loftus. My partner here is just being kind. I think you were right the first time. I ain't nowhere near as fast as I was. Ain't no sport in out-shooting someone whose skill ain't that grand anymore.”

Heyes looked over in shock at Kid in who shrugged a little, but didn't alter his stance. 

“Well, Curry, I'd like to test that, before I go anywhere.”

“Suit yourself...”

Heyes hoped Kid wasn't going to do something stupidly self-sacrificing, like allowing himself to get shot in the arm to try and break the hero-worship of the boy he knew was hidden somewhere close by. Heyes sighed in relief when, as Loftus went to draw, Kid drew quicker and held his gun steadily on the man. Loftus wasn't as big a fool as he'd appeared and with an uncertain look round at the small crowd retreated up an alley way.

Tom ran up to them. “Wow, Mr Curry that was great! But I think it's a bit too dangerous bein' an outlaw and a gunfighter.  I figure maybe Pa's right and I oughta stick to shoeing horses like him.”

Tom glanced between them, his eyes were no less full of hero-worship, but the Kid was thankful that at least one boy had learnt something. Maybe he oughta track Loftus down and thank him. He grinned to himself at the thought.

Kid caught Heyes looking at him and sighed, saying in some apology. “I just couldn't let him think he was better. I'm real sorry, Heyes.”

Heyes grinned at him and shook his head. “Kid, you had me worried there for a minute, not when you drew, but when it looked like you weren't gonna. We didn't go through what we did, for you to get shot in a back water town by a jerk off who shoulda known better.”

The Kid was a little surprised at Heyes' vehemence, but also more than a little touched and he smiled. It was with some relief that they heard the stage arrive.

Javabee, fledge23, Nebraska Wildfire and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Sponsored content

(In)famous Empty
PostSubject: Re: (In)famous   (In)famous Empty

Back to top Go down

(In)famous
Page 1 of 1