Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shine

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Shine Empty
PostSubject: Shine   Shine EmptyFri Jan 01, 2021 9:16 am

We've finally got 2020 behind us, so it's time for a new challenge. The challenge is inspired by a shiny New Year, glittering with promise and hope for better times. Your prompt for January is:
sunny
Shine
sun 1
That can have many meanings. It can be 'taking a shine to someone', something shiny or new, sunshine, moonshine, or just literally something with a shine. However, I'm sure your fertile imaginations can come up other spins on the prompt. 
Writing
Time to get writing!    
Back to top Go down
https://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
rachel741

rachel741

Shine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shine   Shine EmptyFri Jan 22, 2021 2:56 pm

This is a bit tenuous, but I've used 'Shine' or at least 'Shone' and it is a shiny new start for the boys.

31st March 1888.

As of  31st March in the year of Our Lord 1888, all bounties in the name of Jedediah 'Kid' Curry  are rescinded, all extradition orders and arrest warrants are also canceled. He is to be accepted as a citizen in good standing in so far as any man may be considered so. He is now freed from the risk of prosecution for any of his past presumed crimes. 

Therefore this document is to be taken as awarding an unconditional and complete amnesty to Jedediah 'Kid' Curry aka Thaddeus Jones  from the date as recorded here within.  

It should be noted that this declaration of immunity from prosecution does not in any way offer protection from imprisonment for any future crimes committed by Jedediah 'Kid' Curry aka Thaddeus Jones .

Attached to the formal notices was a more personal note.

On a Sunday a few weeks ago, I sat in church listening to Reverend Jenkins' sermon on what the Bible teaches us about forgiveness. The following Wednesday Sheriff Lom Trevors came to speak on your behalf as he has done many times previously. On this occasion however I was struck by the fact that you two were a perfect example of what the Reverend spoke of. It suddenly seemed clear to me that over six years of remaining on an honest path, despite what were not always optimum circumstances should be considered a genuine and enduring commitment to redeeming yourselves. I therefore concluded that despite the continued political opposition it would be inappropriate to deny you amnesty any longer. I will ensure that news of your amnesty is quickly distributed to as wide an audience as possible. This will I hope protect you from the continued attention of both law men and bounty hunters. I wish you both every success as you turn the page and embark on a new chapter in your lives.
Regards,
Thomas Moonlight.
(Governor, Wyoming Territory.)

Kid Curry couldn't help but whoop in astonished joy as he finished reading. The paper was heavy and had an elaborate border that shone like gold. The official seal of the Wyoming Governor adorned both the envelope and the document itself. He exchanged a glance with his partner as he too looked up from the almost identical missive he was holding, his expression was one of shocked awe. “Kid, we did it!”

“We surely did, Heyes, we surely did.”

Unable to help themselves they hugged tightly, the precious papers still grasped firmly in their hands, before they pulled away from each other suddenly embarrassed. 

Curry turned to face their companion- Lom Trevors. His expression was as benevolent as the Kid had ever seen it as he said. “I told you Governor Moonlight would be the one.”

Heyes snorted drawing Curry's gaze back to him. “You also told us it'd only take a year and that just one more job should do it. Can you blame us for being a little less certain than you were?”

“Now Heyes, ain't no call for that.” Lom however was smiling. “Well we should celebrate! I've brought some of the good stuff.” He waved a green bottle in some excitement before turning away to look for some glasses in the dusty cabinet against the wall.

Curry glanced down once again at the document he held. He'd almost stopped believing that they'd ever receive the long promised amnesty and now they had it, he was slightly overwhelmed. A gentle squeeze on his shoulder and a quick glance over at Heyes through slightly tear blurred eyes reassured him that his partner was feeling much the same. The discomfort he felt at his emotional reaction was burnt away in the bright if slightly watery smile of his lifelong friend

Last edited by uk_rachel74 on Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total

fledge23 and SheilaUK like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
RosieAnnieUSA

RosieAnnieUSA

Shine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shine   Shine EmptyThu Jan 28, 2021 8:16 am

This turned out to be a follow-up to my December challenge. Heyes and Curry have spent the holidays with Clem.
---------------------------------------------------
“Oh boy that feels good!”

“Didn’t I tell you, Heyes? And don’t splash me.”

The three friends sat in a circle around a large metal tub filled with steaming hot water. The men’s pants were rolled up to their knees, and Clem’s party dress billowed across her lap. 

Hannibal Heyes looked to heaven for patience.

“I didn’t splash you, and, yes, you did. Soaking our poor, tired feet in Epsom salts was a good idea, Clem. But you have to give me credit for this bottle of Spanish sherry.”

Clementine Hale smiled sweetly. With her dance shoes discarded in the corner, her sore feet in the salty water, and the smooth sherry warming her insides, she felt pretty darn good.

“Alright, you have credit. Are you happy now?”

“Will you two stop bickering?” Curry complained. “We just had one of the best New Year’s Eves ever. Don’t spoil it by arguing.”

“We’re not arguing. Clem and me, we’re just . . . we’re just, you know.” Heyes reached for the bottle and refilled his glass, to the brim.

“You’re just drunk.”

Heyes raised the bottle. Clem and Curry both held out their glasses for refills.

“No, I’m not drunk” He put the bottle on the floor with exaggerated care. “But I do feel mighty fine.”

“I’m not drunk either. And I’m definitely not arguing, so please don’t tell me I am. Don’t give me that look, Jed!” Clem took an appreciate sip, careful not to spill on her ornate dress. “Anyway, I’m allowed to be a little tipsy. It is New Year’s Eve after all.”

“Absolutely. It’s the time to celebrate, especially for you. After all, you were the belle of the ball. Me and Heyes couldn’t get on your dance card.”

“Me! I hardly saw you two all night! You were too busy dancing with every pretty girl in Denver.”

“All but one,” Heyes protested, pointing at Clem. “And I couldn’t get every pretty girl to dance with me, not while he was out there.” He and Curry touched their glasses together. “I got to hand it to you, Kid. You sure know how to work the room. All you do is flash those baby blues once at a woman, and she takes a shine to you.”

“What can I say. It’s a gift.”

Clem laughed, then sobered quickly.

“What is it, Clem?”

“I was just thinking. We had so much fun tonight at the New Year’s Eve dance and saw so many people, but . .  .”

“But what?”

She threw back the sherry in one gulp and held out her glass for Heyes for another refill.

“Not everyone was there. Some of my friends were absent.”

“Like who?” Curry asked.

“A lot of people.” She sighed. “Like my friend Jenny. She got married in the spring, and I never see her now. She’s too busy with her husband and being a married lady, and she’s got no time for me. We used to be such good friends. I never see her anymore.”

“That’s to be expected, isn’t it, Clem? She’s got a different life now. Maybe you don’t have so much in common with her anymore.”

“I guess. And then there’s Dorothy.” She looked down at her hands, not meeting his eyes. There was a long silence. Finally, Curry asked, “What happened to her?”

Clem looked up, eyes glistening. “She caught consumption. Her parents sent her to a sanitorium in Glenwood Springs to recover, but it didn’t help. She died last month.”

“Clem, I’m so sorry.”

“Sorry to hear that, Clem. You must miss her a lot,” Heyes said.

“I do. I do miss her a lot. You know, she and I went to the New Year’s Dance together last year. We were planning to do it again.” She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. “I’m glad you two showed up like you did on Christmas Eve. Otherwise, I might’ve sat here and cried all night tonight instead of dancing till the small hours.”

“Yeah. It did work out, didn’t it?” 

“Yes, it did. I’m still sad, though. You know how it is, don’t you? Especially with the kind of life you two have led. Don’t you think about people who’ve passed, when you come to the new year?”

“Yeah. Someone we knew got hung this year.”

“Are you serious, Jed? Was he innocent?”

Heyes and Curry exchanged a glance. 

“No,” Heyes said. “He took a shine to some bad hombres, a gang that was a lot more comfortable with shooting than we ever were.”

“Charlie O’Rourke was his name. Good man. Really, Clem, he was. Smart, easy-going, loved to have a good time. Wouldn’t you say so, Heyes?”

“Too easy-going. He got himself mixed up with some idiots who bungled a robbery, then killed three members of the posse. Charlie got caught.”

“Did he actually kill someone?”

Heyes shrugged. “Hard to say Most likely everybody was turning in his saddle, spraying bullets at everything and everyone chasing them. No way to prove whose gun actually killed those deputies. It could’ve been Charlie, or not.”

“No way to know for sure, but he was there, so he got a conviction for murder. His mistake was joining that gang in the first place.”

“And his next mistake was not leaving when he saw what kind of men they were.” Heyes shook his head. “Tragic.”

“Tragic? Are you joking? It was his choice to get involved. Dorothy’s death is tragic. She didn’t do anything wrong. She didn’t deserve to die.” 

Heyes straightened in his chair, ready to respond, but Curry waved him back.

“You’re right, Clem. When all’s said and done, Charlie chose to do what he did. He never hurt a flea when he was riding with us, though. I never thought he’d end up like he did. I wish he’d made some different choices, that’s all.”

“We both wish he’d chosen to go straight,” Heyes said. “He might still be alive today.”

“I’m sorry, Kid. I shouldn’t have said what I did. If you two counted him as a friend, he must’ve had some good in him.”

“He had plenty good in him. What he didn’t have was judgment. How about a toast to Charlie, Heyes? Fill us up again.” Heyes topped off their glasses.

“To absent friends.”

“I’ll drink to that,” Heyes said. “And one more toast, for the friends who are still with us. The three of us.”

“Absolutely. I’m so glad you showed up in Christmas Eve. It’s been a wonderful holiday, all three of us being together again. Let’s drink to absent and present friends.”

“Amen to that, Clem. Amen to that.”

SheilaUK, rachel741, Kattayl and ingin6 like this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.lunartidemassageandangeltherapy.com
Sponsored content

Shine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shine   Shine Empty

Back to top Go down

Shine
Page 1 of 1