Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Easy guide of things to spot whilst self-editing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Easy guide of things to spot whilst self-editing   Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Linda Hales' list of words she'll look for when going back to polish her work. After the final draft, she'll edit using the "find" function for the words on the following list. Next, read the sentence containing the offender, and either correct it or leave it be, depending. They are all valid words, if used in moderation, but are prone to misuse, overuse and abuse.

Fine Tooth Comb and Red Flags and Snags

•and - but (can indicate run-on sentences)
•that (unnecessary in most sentences)
•that (when you mean "who")
•just
•very
•nearly - almost
•really
•seem - appear
•felt - feel
•begin - began
•would - should - could
•quite
•few
•rather
•thing
•stuff
•anyway
•because
•"ly" adverbs
•so
•then
•even
•only
•down - up (as in sit down, stand up - can be redundant)
•got - get

Look for passive use

•it - is
•am
•are
•was
•were
•has
•had
•have
•been
•to be
•there is
•there are
•there was
•there were
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.canadian-forum.com
InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Easy guide of things to spot whilst self-editing   Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:02 pm

Great tips, and easy to use with the find function. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Easy guide of things to spot whilst self-editing   Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:17 pm

By the way, in normal usage Americans do not use the word whilst. I'm not criticizing you for using it in this context. But in a story, to an American reader like myself, it implies an upper class British accent. I looked it up once after I encountered the word whilst in our boys' mouths in a story written by a British author. It was a great story, so it was a shame to break the mood that way. The author gave in and corrected it.
HW
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: Easy guide of things to spot whilst self-editing   Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Great point Helen and I do hope that wasn't one of my stories.  We do have the American Vs English thread where all such tips will be gratefully received, so feel free to throw as many in the pot as you can think of.  Please also feel free to start new threads for anything else which comes to mind too.
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Easy guide of things to spot whilst self-editing   Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:41 am

Sorry, of course that post belonged elsewhere. The title just brought it to mind. I'm sure I'd mess up far more than a word here and there if I tried to write in the voice of any of the British novels I love.
HW
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Easy guide of things to spot whilst self-editing   Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:02 pm

Great tips. I'm terrible with run-on sentences. I am going through my TOF as I post on this site and doing a lot of correcting.
Back to top Go down
skykomish

PostSubject: Re: Easy guide of things to spot whilst self-editing   Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:45 am

Thank you Mysty Admin for posting this one. I try to edit for most of the words and error mentioned in the list above, but miss many of them. I never considered using the search function to find the little pests. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Easy guide of things to spot whilst self-editing   Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:37 pm

Love this and am already using it a lot. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Easy guide of things to spot whilst self-editing   

Back to top Go down

Easy guide of things to spot whilst self-editing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1